PDA

View Full Version : ProStar Wiring

boatnut
10-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I want to install a stereo in my '05 prostar which came from the factory without one. Is the necessary wiring already installed, or will I have to wire it myself?

Ash
10-18-2008, 05:59 PM
You'll need to check yourself. Its different on every boat. Some have the wiring there and some don't, which of course means you need to start pulling cable!

JimN
10-18-2008, 09:37 PM
You'll need to check yourself. Its different on every boat. Some have the wiring there and some don't, which of course means you need to start pulling cable!

It's not different in every boat. That would mean that MC makes a different harness for every one and that's just not an efficient way to do things. Look behind the radio location in the bundled looms, for a tag that shows "Stereo" or Audio". It should have a Red, Yellow and a Black wire, each with a butt connector already on it.

bmargol
10-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I bought an 05 pro star without a stereo. In the glove box mount the head unit and put the speakers where you want. There is a sleeve under the passenger seat on the right sidewall and covered by the side carpet. This will help in running the wires to the dash area and to the right driver panel for a remote. You can email me for pics of my installation if you need.
brmargol@bellsouth.net

bmargol
10-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I almost forgot there is an extra switch ( or should be ) already mounted on the dash for the positive and connect the negative to the negative block under the kick panel on the drive side ( comes off with 3 screws).

Ash
10-20-2008, 12:13 AM
It's not different in every boat. That would mean that MC makes a different harness for every one and that's just not an efficient way to do things. Look behind the radio location in the bundled looms, for a tag that shows "Stereo" or Audio". It should have a Red, Yellow and a Black wire, each with a butt connector already on it.

No what I meant is its different in every boat as to whether or not it was given a harness. Just because his doesn't have a stereo doesn't mean there is the wiring there. Where as my brothers 99 Prostar didn't come with a stereo and there was wiring there. My fathers same year Prostar came without any wiring.

JohnE
10-20-2008, 08:27 AM
No what I meant is its different in every boat as to whether or not it was given a harness. Just because his doesn't have a stereo doesn't mean there is the wiring there. Where as my brothers 99 Prostar didn't come with a stereo and there was wiring there. My fathers same year Prostar came without any wiring.

I think they all come with the same harness now. 10 years ago was probably different.

yankee
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
If you've still got pictures of your install and wiring I would love a copy. I'm doing a from-scratch install this weekend and could use any tips you have. We're putting in a Clarion CMD5 head unit with JBL 6200 speakers in the rear seat base and bow seat backs. No amps or sub (until next year).

Thanks!

bmargol
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey send me your e address & I will send ya some pics. Sorry I was outa the country when you asked for info.
Bruce
brmargol@bellsouth.net

yankee
05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the pics. Nice install.

1. Does anyone know where the stereo power leads end on a 2005 197 TT? The wiring is on the dash, connects through the foot panel stereo breaker and then goes into the bundle that runs through the PVC loops around the bow. When it breaks out on the left side of the under seat area the only wires are for the courtesy light under the seat.

2. There is a "medallion" box with two bundles connected that is mounted over the sub-woofer cut-out on the foot panel to the right of the PP module and breaker panel. Anyone have any idea what it is and where it's mounted if you put a sub-woofer in?

bmargol
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
My suggestion is to run your own wiring as I did & connect it to one of the accessory switches on the dash. I found the wiring not sufficient for the ohms or amps. I put in heavy duty speaker wires and thick cables for the amp and stereo.Spend a little money instead of a lot of aggravation later. If you do it right now with a little overkill, then you do not have to trouble shoot later!!!!
:)