PDA

View Full Version : What Oil to use

BobJ
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Having trouble finding Pennzoil 15W40 as recommended for 2003 310 HP TBI. Saw that dealer in area is using 20W50. Any thoughts? What is everyone using?

LakePirate
05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the board

Personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5 w 40.

There have been some discussions on synthetic vs. dino on the board.

Check this link out for more info...
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2020&highlight=dino

MarkP
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Pennzoil Marine Grade 15W40 for the boat

But at home

Most Tuscan oils will do for me, http://www.olio2go.com/catalog/catalog.htm

FrankSchwab
05-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Engine Nut would be the authoritative voice on this; he had a comment here. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2654)

An interesting long-term study of synthetic oils is here (http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html)

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 04:24 PM
15W40 or 20W50 (synthetic) if memory serves on the synth.

WalMart carries the Penzoil Marine 15W40. At our local Wmart, it's over by the boat stuff, not with the other motor oils.

wiltok
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
West Marine has Penz Marine 15W-40 too - I saw it yesterday.

peason
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I buy Penzoil @ Walmart - even though I hate even walking in the door. It's the only thing I buy, unless it's on clearance. My wife did find a remote control MasterCraft X-star though and it's fun to take on the pond.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Wmart is a necessary evil. I'm happier when I'm not there though. Many marinas around here use Amsoil. I can attest that it was probably used in my boat for a season when I wasn't doing my own annual maintenance.

Footin
05-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Mobil 1 15W50

School Skier
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
We've been using Mercury 25W-40 since 1997 in our MC. The oil is made for stern drives and inboards.

Jim
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Having trouble finding Pennzoil 15W40 as recommended for 2003 310 HP TBI. Saw that dealer in area is using 20W50. Any thoughts? What is everyone using?

Chevron makes a 15w40 Delo Multigrade with all the certifications that are recommended by Indmar.

Engine Nut
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM

We really like the 15W40 weight oil. If Pennzoil is not available, almost any Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or auto parts store sells Shell Rotella 15W40 by the gallon. Great stuff! You might have to look for signs that indicate something about oil for diesel trucks because that's what 15W40 is used most often in. If you absolutely can't find any major brand of 15W40 anywhere, your next choice would be 20W40 or 20W50. We do not recommend using any multi viscosity oil that has less than 15 as the first number.

Our stance on synthetics is that they are just fine to use after the engine has broken in for 100 hours on conventional oil. The use of synthetics does not lengthen the oil change intervals in a marine engine though. We recommend 50 hour intervals with whatever oil you are using. This is important because a marine engine operates at considerably lower temperatures than an auto or truck engine so the oil does not get hot enough to burn off all of the impurites (moisture, fuel, etc) like it does in a car or truck.

The Merc 25W40 is good oil and meets the specifications but it is not a true multi viscosity oil. It is actually a blend of 25 weight and 40 weight with an effective viscosity of of around 32 ... or so I remember from my MerCruiser days.

lakes Rick
05-05-2005, 04:20 PM
The diesel oils are being used by alot of my friends in the car clubs I frequent.. There are more additives in them that are NOT in the newer 5-30, 10-30 motors oils for todays cars due to the fact that the Catalyctic converters will stop working and todays roller cams do not need the "chemical " makeup as our older cars with tappet lifters..

Alot of us had problems with cams wiping using today's oils. Whenever you see the sunburst logo on the top of the can, ( I mean plastic jug) we do not use this in a Tappet cam engine..

Rottela, Delvac, and Delo are all 15-40 weight Diesel engine oils used by guys I know.. Only concern was that Delo was very high detergent, even though most diesel oils are........ Just my 02 cents again...

BrianM
05-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Engine Nut,

Was wondering if there is an official stance on what oil should be used in the older engines. My boat ('88 Prostar with Indmar 240hp 351) calls for straight 30w oil. Would I be best served using the new reccomended 15w40? I am currently using striaght 30w. I figure it was good enough for the motor in '88 so it ought to be good enough now. This topic has come up many times and I never heard a definative answer. So for those of us with old boats, what should we run? And if you would and can why is it better to use this oil over another? thanks

Ski-A-Rees
05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
You guys with big blocks, What are you using for oil? I'm getting ready to change in for the first time since I bought the boat.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Engine Nut,

Was wondering if there is an official stance on what oil should be used in the older engines. My boat ('88 Prostar with Indmar 240hp 351) calls for straight 30w oil. Would I be best served using the new reccomended 15w40? I am currently using striaght 30w. I figure it was good enough for the motor in '88 so it ought to be good enough now. This topic has come up many times and I never heard a definative answer. So for those of us with old boats, what should we run? And if you would and can why is it better to use this oil over another? thanks

Brian, I placed a phone call to Indmar last year and asked that very question. The answer was 15W40.

BrianM
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Brian, I placed a phone call to Indmar last year and asked that very question. The answer was 15W40.

I did too and got the same answer BUT it seemed to me (and maybe it was just me) that the person I talked to was just regurgitating (sp?) the Penzoil 15w40 that they reccomend on their new engines. It just seemed that the person I talked to didn't have much confidence in his answer for older engines. His answer wasn't confident enough for me to take the advice. From what I have read from Engine Nut if he reccomends going to the 15w40 that is what I will do

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I purportedly got forwarded to their tech department. I pressed them on the subject ... "...even for an older engine like mine." It will of course do my sensibilities well to see the answer on here, too. But I'm running 15W50 with no ill-effects to speak of at the moment.

G-man
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
BrianM

If there was a problem running 30w oil you would have seen it by now. I am assumming you change the oil either every 50hrs or in the fall when you put boat up for winter.

BrianM
05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
BrianM

If there was a problem running 30w oil you would have seen it by now. I am assumming you change the oil either every 50hrs or in the fall when you put boat up for winter.

Exactly, I have no problems running straight 30w and I actually change my oil about every 25 hrs. Just wondering what the current reccomendation is for older motors and why. Why would it be better to run 15w40. Just curious really.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 01:08 PM
The "why" will be interesting. I sure don't have that answer or a comprehensive understanding of what it all means.

Engine Nut
05-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Engine Nut,

We recommend the 15W40, even in older engines. If 15W40 would have been available back when your engine was built we would have recommended it then. 15W40 is a relatively recent addition to the oils that are available. Staying with the straight 30W would be OK too. The key is that the 30W might require a little longer warm-up time ... which isn't all that bad either.

Somone asked about big block oil recommendations. We changed our recommendation for big blocks, 454, 502, 8.1L from 15W40 to straight 40W. The reason for the change was to try to reduce the oil consumption that is "the nature of the beast" in most big block engines. Oil consumption of a quart every 5 hours is not considered excessive for an 8.1L or other big block engine that is being worked hard.

Engine Nut

André
06-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Oil consumption of a quart every 5 hours is not considered excessive for an 8.1L or other big block engine that is being worked hard.

Engine Nut
Wow! Got to figure it in the budget!
That's 8 quarts between oil changes and who knows how many more in a 8.1 liters oil change!!! :eek: