PDA

View Full Version : My Boys are Skiing!!

gwpowell
10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Thought I would just show everyone how proud I am of my two boys who are now members of the ski club.

The big one (Will) is 3 and the little one (Harry) is 16 months.

I posted the video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsv5wJVPOI

2RLAKE
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
that is incredibly awesome ... you should be very proud! Mine are 10 & 8 already but a ividly remember those days of skiing next to the boat off the boom.

Really awesome

ntidsl
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEJxvYYzRQ

mine at 4 years old

suedv
10-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Thought I would just show everyone how proud I am of my two boys who are now members of the ski club.

That is so cute! I love seeing little kids ski.

kycat2007
10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Great times and the water was glass!!!

ncsone
10-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Get those hips up to the handle! Great video. Thanks for sharing.

russlars
10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the post. I loved it!:D I am trying to convince my daughter to let me teach my 3 year old grandaughter to ski. I am going to use your post for ammunition. Hope that it okay with you. By the way, how do you start them out on the skis and what kind of skis are those? I haven't had any experience with teaching skiers that young.

ntidsl
10-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I never had a boom so I slowly lowered the rope back to 60 feet and wham...people think we are nuts because he skis at 14-15mph...but what the heck...he'll be at 36 mph someday anyway and its only water....hes fallen many time and it usually doesnt both him...

he started at 3 years old and this was his second season...the vidoe I attached was him at 4.8 years old or so...2 months before his 5 year old bday...

next year a mini course...

gwpowell
10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the post. I loved it!:D I am trying to convince my daughter to let me teach my 3 year old grandaughter to ski. I am going to use your post for ammunition. Hope that it okay with you. By the way, how do you start them out on the skis and what kind of skis are those? I haven't had any experience with teaching skiers that young.

We first got them used to the pull in the grass - watch this video - This is the first attempt with Harry
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkte_pLuTY
It is probably not necessary but we are also teaching a friends 2 1/2 year old who didn't practice on the grass and whilst he still skied off the boat he didn't have the same balance or confidence as mine who did practice on the grass.

You obviously need a set of training skis which have a "T" bar to connect the skis and pull from.

To put them in the water just place the skis on the engine hatch and stand your little one in the skis. Then have someone lift them off the engine hatch and into the water. Keep hold of them whilst they get used to the slide across the water. You need another person in front holding the rope or the "T" bar on the skis. Don't ever connect the rope to the boat or the boom whilst the other end is connected to the "T" bar on the skis! We have someone holding the rope.

We are actually teaching the eldest (3yo) how to do deep water starts by easing the throttle back and out of gear, slowing the boat to a standstill whilst he sinks, then just pulling him out again. He loves it.

Good Luck

coz
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Cool shots :D I like the Will wink & wave :headbang:

gwpowell
10-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I never had a boom so I slowly lowered the rope back to 60 feet and wham...people think we are nuts because he skis at 14-15mph...but what the heck...he'll be at 36 mph someday anyway and its only water....hes fallen many time and it usually doesnt both him...

he started at 3 years old and this was his second season...the vidoe I attached was him at 4.8 years old or so...2 months before his 5 year old bday...

next year a mini course...

Excellent video - that's their next progression.
My boy watched it and asked who it was skiing behind our boat. We have an X7 and from the video the 197 looks exactly the same.
Don't they make you laugh?

russlars
10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
We first got them used to the pull in the grass - watch this video - This is the first attempt with Harry
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkte_pLuTY
It is probably not necessary but we are also teaching a friends 2 1/2 year old who didn't practice on the grass and whilst he still skied off the boat he didn't have the same balance or confidence as mine who did practice on the grass.

You obviously need a set of training skis which have a "T" bar to connect the skis and pull from.

To put them in the water just place the skis on the engine hatch and stand your little one in the skis. Then have someone lift them off the engine hatch and into the water. Keep hold of them whilst they get used to the slide across the water. You need another person in front holding the rope or the "T" bar on the skis. Don't ever connect the rope to the boat or the boom whilst the other end is connected to the "T" bar on the skis! We have someone holding the rope.

We are actually teaching the eldest (3yo) how to do deep water starts by easing the throttle back and out of gear, slowing the boat to a standstill whilst he sinks, then just pulling him out again. He loves it.

Good Luck
Thanks for the pointers. I am amazed! And a John Deere no less. What a great idea. Just need a pair of trainer skis, already have the John Deere and the MC.;) Anyone have some training skis they want to sell?

suedv
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Your son looked so happy riding behind that tractor! I'm so amazed with their balance at such a young age. I'm waiting for the next video with them slalom skiing. :D