PDA

View Full Version : MCX Alternator Bracket

jbr383
10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
The 2 long alternator bolts sheared on my 03 X2. As usual the first thing I did was check TT and found out this was a common problem. I printed this email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Engine Nut
TT Enthusiast Join Date: Apr 2005

Alternator Brackets

I am going to tell you as much as I know about alternator brackets and broken alternator bracket bolts. We have gone through several alternator bracket changes but here is the scoop on TBI and MCX through the 2004 model year.

The photo that I have attached shows the original front alternator bracket on the left. That bracket had spacers welded on and it attached to the engine with two long bolts. Over time, those bolts could flex and fail.

The bracket on the right is the replacement bracket. There were no spacers welded on therefore the attaching bolts were shorter which reduced the possibility of the bolts flexing. After initial release, the bolts used with the new bracket were changed to stainless steel. For the most part, the new bracket and the stainless steel bolts properly tightened resolved the issues. The new bracket is available as a kit which includes the stainless steel fastners and washers. The kit P/N is S495122. The stainless steel fastners should be torqued to 40 foot pounds.

Engine Nut
Attached Images

------------------------------------------------------------------------

and took it to my dealer to order the new part per the above listed part number. When I went to pick up the new bracket it was the exact same as the one I already have. He called in to check that he had received the correct bracket and was told he had (listed as a 01-04 alternator replacement bracket). The parts warehouse also told him that if a new bracket design had been implemented, when they looked up the old part number it would have notes in the system stating that the bracket had been changed. We all know that there is a new bracket out there. Does anyone have a part number for it or should I just have him order an alternator bracket for and 05 or newer?

Thanks.

bigmac
10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I'd call Indmar and check with them. As you mentioned, EngineNut even had pictures of the old bracket sitting next to the new, redesigned one.

jbr383
10-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Anybody have a number for Indmar? What about just ordering a bracket for an 05 or newer?

TMCNo1
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Anybody have a number for Indmar? What about just ordering a bracket for an 05 or newer?

Here ya go, http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/index.html

jbr383
10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the Indmar info. I called them and they where very helpful. The Indmar guy actually went out to the parts warehouse and pulled the part off the shelf to see what it looked like. The part number given by Engine Nut matched the updated bracket. The guy then checked to see if my dealer had ordered the part from them, which he had not. My dealer had ordered it from Mastercraft. I called my dealer and told him that the part number I had given him matched the updated bracket at Indmar, so whatever Mastercraft had on file was out of date. I asked him to re-order, so we'll see what he comes up with next.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
This might help.....
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=121578&postcount=31

jbr383
10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks. That was the post I took to my dealer the first time and he still got me the wrong bracket. After convincing him that Indmar had them (because I called and asked them) he reordered. I went and picked it up today and got the new style. Looks like I can finally put it back together and get it winterized.

brucemac
10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
any tell tale signs of prefailure? only ask cuz same boat same year. guess i should search and read. i'm just bummin mine's tucked away for a long winter. :(

jbr if you're near seattle metro and still need help pm me.

bigmac
10-24-2008, 05:14 AM
No prewarning, just sudden belt squealing.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Mine smelled like something was burning when it snapped.

dpolen
10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
This just happened to my boat this fall...belt has squealed for a while, then battery mysteriously went dead and temp started jumping up kinda high on the last trip...cause, broken alternator bracket, plus a worn out belt. Dealer tells me that all is well now.

jbr383
10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
any tell tale signs of prefailure? only ask cuz same boat same year. guess i should search and read. i'm just bummin mine's tucked away for a long winter. :(

jbr if you're near seattle metro and still need help pm me.

Brucemac,

As already stated the squealing of the belt is the only warning you'll get. When you hear that, the bolts will already be broke off. Mine still ran and I got no low voltage warning but the belt was slipping like crazy and the alternator was shaking quite a bit. Fortuantley the bolts were very easy to tap put. The only hard part was convincing my dealer that there is an updated bracket. Thanks for the offer to help but it's all put back together and tucked away for the winter :(

This just happened to my boat this fall...belt has squealed for a while, then battery mysteriously went dead and temp started jumping up kinda high on the last trip...cause, broken alternator bracket, plus a worn out belt. Dealer tells me that all is well now.

Dpolen,

Sounds like you ran it with the broken bolts for a while. Did your dealer just replace the bolts or did he put the new bracket on? I would guess he just replaced the bolts which is what my delaer wanted me to do. They said when they were getting a lot of these they were just replacing the bolts and never saw any come-backs. I felt replacing the bolts was just a bandaid fix and all those boats that they have done this too haven't put enough hours on them to stress the bolts untill they brake again. For example mine broke at about the 200 hour mark. If I would have just replaced the bolts maybe that would have gotten me to the 400 hour mark. For the dealer that would proably seem like a good enough fix as they wouldn't have seen the boat come-back for repairs again all that soon. For me that's not good enough. I want a permanent fix. I do too much boating an big lakes and week long boat-in camping vactions to risk that.