PDA

View Full Version : Words from a great president

TexasMC230
10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing
for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

--Abraham Lincoln
:cool:

Moderator2
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
This is from a William J.H. Boetcher quote, not Abe Lincoln.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/William_J._H._Boetcker/

SkiDog
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
This is from a William J.H. Boetcher quote, not Abe Lincoln.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/William_J._H._Boetcker/

Nice flowers!

stuartmcnair
10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
regardless of who it came from it is dead on....

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
regardless of who it came from it is dead on....

In that case, attribute it to me.

ridesdirt
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Abe must have been a republican

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
In that case, attribute it to me.

By that I take it you subscribe to the meaning of the words??

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
By that I take it you subscribe to the meaning of the words??

Depends on the price of the subscription? But generally, I subscribe to the meaning of all words. Kind of how language works.

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
These are all present in our constitution, sadly we are not constrained by that dusty old document anymore.

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Depends on the price of the subscription? But generally, I subscribe to the meaning of all words. Kind of how language works.

Freedom is neither cheap nor easy. Still like the concept??

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
These are all present in our constitution, sadly we are not constrained by that dusty old document anymore.

Now there's a fellow that feels contrary to the broad interpretation of the commerce clause as a source of federal authority to legislate, am I right?

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Your parsing words, it was clear to most. :D

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Now there's a fellow that feels contrary to the broad interpretation of the commerce clause as a source of federal authority to legislate, am I right?

Yes I believe you would be correct senior. Has this person gained any traction?

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Your parsing words, it was clear to most. :D

Perhaps. :)

Of course it's clear. It's big bowl full of broad statements that outline a philosophy that, in my opinion, is undercut by being so watered down. Sure, it's easily subscribed to in that form. But we ought to have to do more than just look at the pictures and the centerfold and only claim to read the articles.

So, to be more direct, I do not tend to subscribe to constrained philosophies. I make my way and reflect. If I can remember anything useful, I'll store it away.

Now back to language and words.

Use "your" when something belongs to someone else. Use "you're" when someone else is something.

We'll work on punctuation next time.

Hey, look at the arsehole English major. :cool:

/slashie to let you know that I'm teeing up an easy "You're and a$$hole" response from you. 8p

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes I believe you would be correct senior. Has this person gained any traction?

What person?

Doing anything more than interpreting the law and adhering to the principle of stare decisis is well above my pay grade.

My personal belief has long been that the interpretation of commerce clause is far too broad for any of our respective good. But remembering my place in the system, when I'm on the clock, I look up the chain and say, "Yes, Your Honor."

Skipper
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Sometimes it is hard to believe this is a Mastercraft forum. :confused:

But, it is still entertaining. Kinda like the Jerry Springer show without all of the physical violence. :D

:steering::dance: