PDA

View Full Version : Paddlewheel Wimps

kskib046
05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
For those of you who couldn't drill the paddlewheel hole yourself, I don't recommend trying to install pull-up cleats.

Each cleat takes four holes with the inner two connected. Actually the drilling was the easy part, marking where to drill was the hard part. Also the dremel tool is a must.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Congrats on successful install. I know my fear with the paddlewheel is if you mess up you have big hole in the bottom of the boat.

So how do you know where to install?

kskib046
05-03-2005, 11:34 PM
I bought the four cleats from Bill Stengl of Stengl Marine Minocqua, WI and without even asking he sent me pictures of where they were placed on the new x2/205v. After that is it was a matter of checking both sides of the boat to make sure there were no obstructions and that they would line up.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:15 AM
I bought the four cleats from Bill Stengl of Stengl Marine Minocqua, WI and without even asking he sent me pictures of where they were placed on the new x2/205v. After that is it was a matter of checking both sides of the boat to make sure there were no obstructions and that they would line up.

Where are you from?

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm a paddle wheel wimp. What of it!?!

MasterMason
05-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I'm a paddle wheel wimp. What of it!?!

Hello, My name is Gregg and I am also a paddle wheele whip.

but on the other hand, mine is installed, no issues with placement, and no problems. I concider it money well spent.

rodltg2
05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
no prob, i drilled paddle wheel, tower mounts , stereo in glove, speakers cut outs in rear and cut upholstery in front. almost forgot , bimini top too.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Just remember what everyone always says when somebody is going to look for a used boat. Does the owner have records?

One advantage to leaving some things to the pros is that you have little pieces of paper to show for it (of course it results in the loss of better pieces of paper).

rodltg2
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
i bet im more of a pro than the stoned teen wakeboarder kids that work at the dealer who would have installed my stuff. its not their boat they dont care. ask ric, how much of a pro his dealer was on his tower install!

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Ric's dealer did the install of my Perfect Pass. I priced the job all over the State and elsewhere. Believe me, if the job they did had been anything but superb, not only would you have read about my discontent here, but I'd be sure I was riding around in a new 197 by now and wouldn't likely have any boat payments on it.

As for the local dealer that does most of the work, I know the person who lays hands on my boat personally. He's been there 14 years and has no assistant. I'd trust him to do with my boat what he will.

BrianM
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Just remember what everyone always says when somebody is going to look for a used boat. Does the owner have records?

One advantage to leaving some things to the pros is that you have little pieces of paper to show for it (of course it results in the loss of better pieces of paper).

I put together a spreadsheet with the date, number of hours, and description of work for everything that I do to my boat. I then save the receipts for the oil, impeller, hardware or whatever. I keep as good a record of work or better than just a receipt of repairs. I hope when I go to buy another boat someone keeps as good of a maintenance record as me.

Just trying to say there is more ways than saving a dealer reciept to keep good maintenance records.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
I put together a spreadsheet with the date, number of hours, and description of work for everything that I do to my boat. I then save the receipts for the oil, impeller, hardware or whatever. I keep as good a record of work or better than just a receipt of repairs. I hope when I go to buy another boat someone keeps as good of a maintenance record as me.

Just trying to say there is more ways than saving a dealer reciept to keep good maintenance records.

Oh, I know. I do the same thing. Besides, records are only as good as the person doing the service. In the end, inspection and testing the boat, motor, and trailer is how you figure out how much time has been put into a boat.

Just sticking up for the paddle wheel wimps. I know my limitations.

Ric
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Ric's dealer did the install of my Perfect Pass. I priced the job all over the State and elsewhere. Believe me, if the job they did had been anything but superb, not only would you have read about my discontent here, but I'd be sure I was riding around in a new 197 by now and wouldn't likely have any boat payments on it.

As for the local dealer that does most of the work, I know the person who lays hands on my boat personally. He's been there 14 years and has no assistant. I'd trust him to do with my boat what he will.
leave me out of it boys

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Oh you're in it my man. This is all your fault. ;) For the record, if anyone took the above posts too seriously or thought I was suggesting that doing your own maintenance hurt resale value, please understand that that was not my intent. Just standing by my decision to let some crack smoker take a hole saw to my boat. :)

I have sent my boat to the right mechanics and the wrong mechanics. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the two at first glance. So far, I have been consistently lucky apart from one, recent, poor decision.