PDA

View Full Version : Ford Explorer 4wd help

baedriver
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
With Winter coming I turned on my 4WD just to make sure it was good and nothing. It is a 2002 with the V8 with the 4wd switch near the radio column. Will not engage in high or low. How does it work and any suggestions.

Thanks

mrprostar
10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
The switch activates a ram and the ram pushes it into gear. These switches are notoriously fickle and often break all together. Maybe check the fuse box to see if there is a fuse for it and check things progressively more difficult to fix until you find the problem.

FrankSchwab
10-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I had the opposite problem in my '98 this summer - clicked it into 4WD lo on a long, steep, windy dirt road (pulling the boat), then I couldn't get it out of 4WD. Drove it 50 miles home down the freeway that way, then found the simple solution in 10 minutes on Google - disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes.

Seems that there's a sensor at the transfer case that detects the posiition of the 4WD shaft. It can fall off the end of its range if the shaft overrotates even the slightest amount; the computer then won't shift because it doesn't know where the transmission is. By removing power for 10 minutes, the computer will go through a process to identify the shaft position, and then it's happy. Why it won't do that every time it gets lost I don't know. You might want to give it a try.

/frank

ski_king
10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry, no real help here other than a bump back to the top.
I know there is a Ford tech or service manager that is a regular here that may be able to help.

I was told to be sure to engae the 4x4 in both high and low every now and then to wipe any corrossion of the contacts. The ramp I use requires 4x4 to get out, so I use it most every weekend in the summer. Not sure how valid that is, but I didnt have any problems in the 140K I put on my F-150.

'82starsandstripes
10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I would guess to say its your transfer case shift motor. but its possible its your 4x4 module i know that model had some module issues. hope this helps. :twocents:

jwroblew
10-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Does tha year have a solid rear axle or an independent?

baedriver
10-14-2008, 04:50 PM
1st year of independent rear axle

Vern Swieringa
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Are you trying to put it into 4wd high or low? My F150 can be switched to 4wd high on the move. But the 4wd low can only be engaged while stopped and in neutral.

baedriver
10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
When i am parked it wont go into high or low. The lights on the dash will not come on, it sounds electrical but I have no idea?

uawaterskier
10-15-2008, 09:08 PM
do you hear the relay click?

edit:explorer, not the expedition, don't know if you can hear them or not

baedriver
10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
i do not hear the relay click!

dog paw
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Prolly SOL without a service manual and a scan tool. Could be something as simple as a goofball glitch that has put it in default. (like what Frank had) If it resmbles a GM setup it goes through Body control, a 4wd control module then the actuator is at the end of the line.

We see quite a few failures on that cheesy setup mostly switches and modules. Good luck, they will beat your wallet big time.

uawaterskier
10-17-2008, 01:43 AM
i do not hear the relay click!
have you ever heard the relay click?

baedriver
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
To tell you the truth I only use the 4wd on a limited basis, so I am not sure. I have a feeling Ford is going to have to look at it. This will really hurt the bank book.

tommcat
10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
With Winter coming I turned on my 4WD just to make sure it was good and nothing. It is a 2002 with the V8 with the 4wd switch near the radio column. Will not engage in high or low. How does it work and any suggestions.

Thanks

it's fully computer controlled and diag is going to be pretty difficult without the proper scan tool and service manuals.
as far as common concerns go, we do everything from switches on those to shift motors, modules and transfer cases.
feel free to pm me if you want any specific info

tom

jwroblew
10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I think that was the first year ford went to a vacuum hub, no relay I think. A vacuum leak would mean 1/2 shafts always engaged, so that does not sound like your problem, but maybe something with the main vacuum switch? Pull the vacuum line off the hub and see if there is pressure there when in 4x2 mode and no pressure when it is 4x4, you could also unplug the vacuum lines switch into 4x4 and see if the thing actually starts turning the wheels.

TOO-TALL
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
What year?
I have a 2003 f-150 4x4.And mine did the same thing.I could hear the "click" to engage the front wheels but, nothing the front wheels would not engage.Come to find out I had a broken shifter fork in the front axle.It would have cost 700.00 to fix at the ford dealer.Luckly I bought a exstended warrenty only cost my deductable(200).

Probably not what you want to hear:mad:

tommcat
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I think that was the first year ford went to a vacuum hub, no relay I think. A vacuum leak would mean 1/2 shafts always engaged, so that does not sound like your problem, but maybe something with the main vacuum switch? Pull the vacuum line off the hub and see if there is pressure there when in 4x2 mode and no pressure when it is 4x4, you could also unplug the vacuum lines switch into 4x4 and see if the thing actually starts turning the wheels.

there isn't a single vacuum controlled component on that system

jwroblew
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
there isn't a single vacuum controlled component on that system

Sorry, I know Ford went to vacuum style on the '02 expedition and the '04 F150, I thought they also went that route on the '02 Explorer.. no ideas here...