PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the ballast system

Gerald Martin
10-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I live in North Texas (Ft. Worth) and have an X-15. How important is it to winterize the ballast system?

Jerry

Bodyshots
10-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi Jerry,
First off id like to ask if it even freezes in Texas?

Compressed air would probably work fine but I do think it is a good idea to winterize the lines and pumps.Ballast tanks would probably be fine even with a little water in them.
Just to be safe you might want to pump alittle anti freeze through them.

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
On the newer boats ('07 & up) it is so easy to do why would you risk it? Takes about 15min of time and $15.00 worth of RV antifreeze.

Roonie's
10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Just pour some antifreeze into the overflow lines. Then run the pump on empty. Your done.

Gerald Martin
10-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance. I have had boats (i/o) for 30 plus years but never strictly an inboard. How would I access the lines?

Thanks,
Jerry

BTW...it freezes some...not a lot but we definitely have to winterize the engine.

1boarder
10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
all you do is empty the tanks, make a funnel with a hose on it and pour rv antifreeze into the overflow lines (they are right below the rubrail). Make sure you find the ballast overflows and not the bildge discharge. Once you have a gallon or so in each, discharge for a couple of seconds to get it in the system good.

Gerald Martin
10-12-2008, 03:41 PM
That sounds relatively easy. There are a bunch of overflows and I think two of the them are bilge pump overflows. I will have the dealer show me which is which.

Thanks very much for the the help.

Jerry

OhioX14
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
The procedure is in your Owners Manual.

Also, do you have a heater? I'd be more worried about that than the ballast system.

1boarder
10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I am assuming that you have a plan for winterizing the block. We had a guy in my neigborhood that didn't winterize his block and it froze and cracked it and we still all give him antifreeze for christmas just to rub it in. Don't be that guy.

Gerald Martin
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I am having the dealer winterize the entire boat this year, but do not plan to do that ever again. I am planning on how to take care of this in the future.

Jerry

MC X-15
10-12-2008, 11:20 PM
The procedure is in your Owners Manual.

Also, do you have a heater? I'd be more worried about that than the ballast system.

What sort of Winterization do you need to do for the heater??

JohnE
10-13-2008, 06:39 AM
What sort of Winterization do you need to do for the heater??

Drain it by removing the 2 hoses that attach to the engine and then blow through one of the hoses with air from a compressor. That will get rid of all the water in the core. If you just remove the hoses a ton of water stays in the core.

magnum
10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
What about winterizing the engine, Is the owners manual detailed enough for the do it yourselfer, 1st year with an inboard 06-xstar 8.1L didn;t want to miss anything if the owners manual does not cover everything , might let the dealer do it the 1st year