PDA

View Full Version : Who's Had Back Surgery ?

spanielman50
10-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Been Fightin Long Enough,,,,,,,another Mri Tues,,,,,appt To Discuss With Surgeon
Monday,,,,,,,who's Still Skiing Hard After Surgery ?????????????????

wpauling
10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
L5 S1 and back on the water. I paid extra attention to the Dr. recovery instructions and glad I did. No more pain, and no more pressure on the nerve.

coz
10-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Been Fightin Long Enough,,,,,,,another Mri Tues,,,,,appt To Discuss With Surgeon
Monday,,,,,,,who's Still Skiing Hard After Surgery ?????????????????

DUDE! there's been enough drugs going around here you would be able to put it off for years :headbang: did ya grab any of those links?

Good luck :D

AR Footer
10-12-2008, 02:57 AM
L5-S1 about 10 years ago and have been skiing and barefooting ever since. L3-L4 & L4-L5 were and still are bulging. 10 great years with no pain! I will say that waking up after surgery and having no pain was a wonderful feeling and well worth the surgical procedure that it took to correct my problem. No pain until recently and after two weeks of misery, I had an MRI. My problem may be something that is very easily treatable without surgery but we will have to wait and see. I have an appointment with my spine doctor at the end of this month. They think that the pain may be caused by scar tissue from the surgery pressing on a nerve.

MikeLundberg
10-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Broke T4 and T5 but waited too long to see the surgeon and didnt get them set right...hurts every min of every day, but nothing gona stop me from the water.

ski_king
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I had C6-C7 and C7-T1 done back in 1993.
I still ski, but no longer barefoot. I am afraid an unexpected faceplant could do me in for good.

Old footr
10-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Guys

Graet questions and answers, I've had severe back pain at times for over 20 years. Strange as it may sound barefooting is easier on my back than skiing was. Last summer I tried wakesurfing Great fun and low impact, on my aging body

Old footr
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Opps should use spell check I guress Great need more coffee!!!

wakolman
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Try a Gonstead Chiropractor first. Then go get something permanent done if you still have the pain.

baedriver
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
L5 S1 ten years ago. I had a neuro surgeon do the surgery worked out great. followed the recovery instrucions very closely and just be smart. still skiing hard and no problems. Knock on wood!!

good luck.

Doug G
10-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Herniated L5 S1 snowboarding last year. Never recovered right. Aggrevated it 4 weeks ago so that I couldn't stand upright , walk or sit. Conservative treatments and drugs no affect at all. Micro Discectomy done this past Monday. I am back among the living, walking up right, pain free and 2 days of no meds (although the Valium and percocet combo was enjoyable :D ). Should have done this weeks ago !!! Only downside is the boat got winterized and put in the garage way too damn early.

I'll be spending the winter working out, core strengthening etc and back on the water at CSM.

03 35th Anniversary
10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Had Surgery Dec. 1, 2007......

Had a growth removed from between my L-5 and the Sciatic Nerve. They thought the L-5 was just bulging, but a couple of MRIs told alittle different story.

Followed the Doctor's rehab program to a T and have felt great every since. I was back footin the folling May (2008).....

etakk7
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Discectomy of L5-S1 done 2/27/07. I started skiing, kneeboarding, and wakeboarding in about August of 2007. This year I came back full speed. About the only problems I have now are when I try to do too much in a day.

atlfootr
10-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Again I Say ....

03 35th Anniversary
10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok.......

Here you go!!!!!!!!!

ski_king
10-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Again I Say ....

Never did post a picture of my scar on this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7834&highlight=scar), but it has soom good scars to look at none the less.

ckornutiak
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
L4-L5 ruptured. Stuffed my head in the lake at 28' off. I couldn't walk right for about 2 years. Anyway, after going through all of the conventional stuff (chiro, PT, epidurals etc). I decided to get it fixed. After some research I discovered a procedure called endoscopicmicrodisectomy. (pardon my spelling). They bascially lasered off the part of my disk that was causing the problem. The pain went away immediately and so did all of the side effects.

I had the surgery done, walked out of the hospital the same day, went snow skiing bumps 2 weeks later. That was about 10 years ago and I've never had a problem since. There were only a few people doing this back then, but it seems to be more commonplace now.

All I can say is research and shop around. I can't tell you how many orthopods and neuro guys wanted to hack me open to fix things.

FWIW- I used Dr. Hallet Matthews in Richmond VA.

bigmac
11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok.......

Here you go!!!!!!!!!

Yikes!....No offense meant, but that surgeon oughta take more pride in his work!

ski_king
11-09-2008, 12:04 AM
That was my thought also.
That looks more like a wound from a knife fight.

03 35th Anniversary
11-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Funny thing is.

After it is all said and done it didn't even leave a mark.

spanielman50
11-09-2008, 06:31 PM
No Surgery And Doing Physical Therapy On A Atm-2 Pain Free Core Strengthener.
Our Hospital Got This One Month Ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm Encouraged As Strenghth Is Best It's Been In 2 Years,,,,,,i'd Ski Tom If It Was'nt 28 Degrees,,,,,,,ordered A Goode
Powervest And Will Definetly Let All Know If They Help Protect Disc