PDA

View Full Version : Still ticking...

BriEOD
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Broke the 500 hour threshold tonight on the motor. We've put about 60 hrs on this season. Unfortunately, cold weather will be upon us shortly. Been a great season and we love the 205--very versatile.

coz
10-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Broke the 500 hour threshold tonight on the motor. We've put about 60 hrs on this season. Unfortunately, cold weather will be upon us shortly. Been a great season and we love the 205--very versatile.

Here's to you two :toast: and wishing you many many more hours of happiness :D

That's a good shot of your boat Bri :headbang:

BriEOD
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Thx Coz...she's a keeper!

JimN
10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
"Unfortunately, cold weather will be upon us shortly"

Here, I'll call you a wuss. In another forum, I'd call you something worse. Cold weather? Awww, does it get into the 40's? Oh, no! That makes things shrivel!

Nice boat, BTW.

brucemac
10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
hey beautiful family and beautiful boat. you're lucky to get 60! i got 31 with a new addition. :)

i broke 94 hours on my 03 :D

you're right about the boat. it's a keeper. :D

take care and best wishes brieod

mccobmd
10-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Looks great, I hope to hit that on my 06 in about 10 years, I'm having with winterize in two weeks, maybe one or two more times out in the shorty wet suit, my wife refuses to drive if she has to wear a coat. go figure.

TMCNo1
10-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Looks great, I hope to hit that on my 06 in about 10 years, I'm having with winterize in two weeks, maybe one or two more times out in the shorty wet suit, my wife refuses to drive if she has to wear a coat. go figure.

She's right, it wouldn't look too good in the Swimsuit thread!:rolleyes::o:D

jimmer2880
10-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Nice family Brian (boat included). Some day, my 190 will hopefully turn into a 205. With 2 kids, the 190 started to get too small.

That water looks pretty nice. Of course, thats the best thing about fall skiing :)

trickskier
10-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Looking good Brian.....................Guess you're going to learn how to winterize now that you're not in FL anymore..............8p

TMCNo1
10-11-2008, 08:34 AM
If it's still ticking, could be a sticking lifter!:rolleyes::D

Way to go Brian!

bigmac
10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
If it's still ticking...don't cut the red wire.

coz
10-11-2008, 09:20 AM
She's right, it wouldn't look too good in the Swimsuit thread!:rolleyes::o:D

:uglyhamme

BriEOD
10-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Thx for all the nice comments guys. Yes, I am very blessed and the outlook for the next few months looks a lot better than last year at this time!

JimN--I didn't say I was done skiing, just that summer and warm weather is coming to an end! Fly into BWI and we can do some barefooting on January 1st!!

Ric--How many hours so far on the Gator boat?

Mac--cutting the red one requires me to infer that the engineer used a simple circuit. What if it is a collapsing circuit, or the red wire is decoy and is holding the triggering circuit open? C'mon man...you gotta think about these things.

bigmac
10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Mac--cutting the red one requires me to infer that the engineer used a simple circuit. What if it is a collapsing circuit, or the red wire is decoy and is holding the triggering circuit open? C'mon man...you gotta think about these things.Since we can't get wiring diagrams for our boats, it's hard to know for sure, but AFAIK, MasterCraft historically hasn't used collapsing circuits in their boats. I agree, however, that prudence is called for...;)

Off topic, we have a Bomb Squad exercise at Camp Ripley on Monday. If I read the mission plan correctly, it will involve a lot of commercial-grade fireworks and several cases of dynamite. And "other stuff", which usually means some component of military munitions. I do know that there is a prize for whomever can hit a stick of dynamite the farthest away with the Barrett. The .50 cal rounds are military tracers, not exactly match grade, so I'm not optimistic. These outings are always fun, though. I will have my camera with me and post later.

edit:

beautiful boat, Bri.

BriEOD
10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Touche!

Sounds like a good time. Hopefully the dynamite is not military grade. The military grade uses RDX in lieu of the nitroglycerin. The result is the military grade dynamite is very stable. That said, commercial dynamite is nasty stuff. When the nitroglycerin settles it forms picric acid crystals which are extremely sensitive and unstable. I've seen some cases of bomb squads having to burn barns down becuase the stuff is not stable enough to be moved! So, if you're wanting to use the rifle to causes a detonation hope for the commercial stuff.

The Barrett has good range and is very easy to shoot. Have some fun and make sure you get a photo of shoulder firing it at least once!

JimN
10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
"cutting the red one requires me to infer that the engineer used a simple circuit. What if it is a collapsing circuit, or the red wire is decoy and is holding the triggering circuit open?"

What if the guy is color blind?

Do they ever use wires that are all one color?

I was only kidding about the "cold" weather. Remember- it's not how warm you are, it's how cool you look.

BriEOD
10-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I was only kidding about the "cold" weather. Remember- it's not how warm you are, it's how cool you look.

I'll do you one better; it's not how warm you are, it's the availability of a body of water (sans thousands of acres of sandy desert and less than friendly people!).

BTW JimN, while I have you attention, I'm a little farther north than I'm used to. That said, what is your professional opinion: RV/boat anti-freeze or not? Yes, I've read the 45 threads on here re: topic.

Thx!

cbryan70
10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
-100.......-50 turns to slush in a normal everyday freezer

JimN
10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll do you one better; it's not how warm you are, it's the availability of a body of water (sans thousands of acres of sandy desert and less than friendly people!).

BTW JimN, while I have you attention, I'm a little farther north than I'm used to. That said, what is your professional opinion: RV/boat anti-freeze or not? Yes, I've read the 45 threads on here re: topic.

Thx!

My advice to you is, "Start drinking heavily". Soon enough, it'll be next year.

Seriously, I like the lubrication RV does for the impeller and what corrosion inhibition it does but as far as keeping it from cracking, complete draining is just as good. As long as there's basically no water in the motor, it's not going to crack. If I drain it and don't use anti-freeze, I leave the drain plugs out and bag them and attach the bag to the throttle or steering wheel, including the hull plug(s).

The pink stuff is OK for your part of the tundra. Add your StaBil, run it to normal operating temp, change the oil/filter and run it for a few minutes to flush the old oil, kill it and drain the motor and suck up the juice, fogging it at the end.

I never liked doing a tune-up in fall. Getting fogging oil all over new plugs just doesn't make sense, to me.

I helped someone a couple of years ago when he wanted to winterize his sterndrive (his first one) and we use the reservoir for a dehumidifier because it has a hose fitting on it. You could use the same kind of thing, but it'll take two people- the reservoir only holds a couple of gallons and I like to use more than 3, usually about 5. Buying a couple of extras is a whole lot cheaper than a cracked block or exhaust manifold.

JimN
10-11-2008, 02:57 PM
"I'll do you one better; it's not how warm you are, it's the availability of a body of water"

You mean, like Patches O'Houlihan, in Dodgeball, The Movie?

coz
10-11-2008, 03:32 PM
The Barrett has good range and is very easy to shoot. Have some fun and make sure you get a photo of shoulder firing it at least once!

Have you guys seen this 50 cal ricochet of this guys head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc :confused:

BriEOD
10-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Thx Jim! I'll roll with that.

Coz, nope hadn't seen that.

O2BESOHUGE
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I Like That Tower....what Kind Is It?
Thanks

Jay

TX.X-30 fan
10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Bri you mention shoulder firing the 50, should Mac do the whole box just to become familiar with the weapon?

bigmac
10-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I've shot it before, but always from prone on the bipod. It's not a weapon I have to qualify with. My 30.06 is more painful to shoot than the Barrett. I'm going to try the thing standing this time.

BriEOD
10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
This is about 15 yrs ago...

trickskier
10-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Ric--How many hours so far on the Gator boat?

235........................:D

BriEOD
10-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Is their a decimal point in that figure?

How about that game last night...they kill LSU but lose to Ole Miss--freaking Gators! :mad:

trickskier
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Is their a decimal point in that figure?

How about that game last night...they kill LSU but lose to Ole Miss--freaking Gators! :mad:

The Gators looked like a Championship Team last night! :D

BriEOD
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
To bad they're a day late and a dollar short.

bigmac
10-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Best I could do. That sucker is HEAVY! I concluded it was unwise to actually shoot the thing from my shoulder, so I didn't. I did empty the 10 round magazine from the hip but I think I sprained my wrist doing so.:D

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519664.jpg

bigmac
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
The day's finale...

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519694.jpg

BriEOD
10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Alright Mac, will give you an A+ for effort! :D You're right about the weight--heavy and unbalanced (without using the bi-pod). Looks like some 1lb TNT blocks whipped with det cord and a pigtail to prime in with caps--I do miss the range day.

BTW, the trees in the first photo are breath taking!

BriEOD
10-13-2008, 08:06 PM
BTW, are you sporting 5.11s? Dude, shouldn't you be in scrubs or something? 8p

bigmac
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm sure I have more 5.11 gear than most doctors.

The propane tank got marks for biggest flash, but the biggest boom was the binaries.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519686.jpg http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519688.jpg

It's amazing to me how many agencies come up with explosives that ultimately need to be disposed of, including the US Army. We did a LOT of munitions for Camp Ripley today. The kinepacks were from the DNR for blowing up beaver dams.

wpauling
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=BriEOD;548946]Alright Mac, will give you an A+ for effort! :D Looks like some 1lb TNT blocks whipped with det cord and a pigtail to prime in with caps--I do miss the range day.

QUOTE]

I always did think that duck tape worked better then a Uli knot with an extra turn! 8p

BriEOD
10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Look who is dropping the technical terms. Not sure a Uli knot would be the best idea for that particular situation. To prime in you just need about 6" of overlapping det cord. A Uli knot would be more appropriate in some form of explosive medium in which you could ensure you could maintain explosive-to-explosive continuity--i.e. bend a block of C-4 around knot, or place the knot in some slurrey, etc.

That said, you must know something about something.

bigmac
10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
We had a lot of confiscated fireworks to destroy, as well as about 100 commercial aerial shell fireworks that had gotten wet. Also, a lot of damaged or dud small arms ammo and a bunch of 40mm helicopter-launched grenades (M5?- they were blue, so may have been practice rounds - I dunno), and many, many rounds of old .50 cal. A lot of it was head-stamped from the 1940's and Skip didn't want to fire it in the Barrett. We set all that stuff up in an old bomb crater in a big pile with wood, diesel fuel and ignited with a couple of bags of powder. As I understand it, we do ordinance destruction for MNARNG because if they do it, they have to file an Environmental Worksheet, whereas if we do it, it's called a civilian training excercise and no such paperwork is necessary. This takes place in burn pits (an impact crater) on the edge of Camp Ripley's huge Artillery Impact Area. That area has been in use for over a century and it's littered with remnants of all manner of military ordnance, most of it exploded, some not. One walks carefully in that area. Every year they burn off the field for the purpose of cooking off any unexploded large rounds that might have been missed during various excercises.

Practice tank round of some kind, I'm told
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519678.jpg

Truthfully, firing off the burn pit was a little anticlimactic. Shooting at several of the aerial shells on poles at 50 yards was more fun, and especially at the dynamite sticks. We fired a LOT of .223 and .308 ammo at those things.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519667.jpg

The burn pit. Had some MNARNG guys assisting.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519669.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519672.jpg

bigmac
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Burn pit

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519671.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519674.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519675.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/104519677.jpg

BriEOD
10-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Cool shots Mac! Although, I've got to ding you on one thing it is ordnance, not "ordinance."8p In your first photo that is a 4.2" mortar, more commonly referred to as a four-deuce (not a tank round). Yes, blue always-always-always means practice or inert--someone has given you some good info.

Ammo burns are a lot of work and not real exciting. Someone is going to have a lot of fun cleaning that crap up. I'm sure they have an EPA permit as a disposal site, but eventually all that crap has to be cleaned up even if under the auspices of a tng op. The resource conservation recovery act (RCRA) has some hefty fines for improper disposal of solid waste (which ordnance is considered). When ordnance becomes a public safety hazard (unsafe) it can be destroyed under an exception to RCRA which eliminates the need for EPA permits, etc. I have seen the EPA fine the military millions of dollars for non-compliance. Of the 4 services the Air Force is by far the most enviornmentally conscious and the Army is the most negligent, IMO.

Yes, got to love 5.11s. I have a ton of their stuff. I love the tactical pants!

east tx skier
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
This is about 15 yrs ago...

Looks like a fun 14th birthday! :D

bigmac
10-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Although, I've got to ding you on one thing it is ordnance, not "ordinance."

Spelling lessons!! Thanks for the tip, Bri!!

BriEOD
10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Looks like a fun 14th birthday! :D

Thx grandpa! It's Cameron's wife that is pregnant, right?!8p

east tx skier
10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Thx grandpa! It's Cameron's wife that is pregnant, right?!8p

I'm so confused. 8p

JimN
10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm so confused. 8p

Never let 'em see ya sweat.

east tx skier
10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Never let 'em see ya sweat.

The breeze from my spinning head is keeping the perspiration at bay.

JimN
10-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Spinning heads (and other body partz) reminds me that if we could harness all of the energy from the political BS, debate and arguments about who should be our next President, we would never need to worry about energy again.