PDA

View Full Version : X1 ballast

wakedoc
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks to those who commented on my last post regarding X1 ballast. We have decided to go along with the suggestions of most, and upgrade. My plan at this stage is to remove the rear hard tanks, and plumb in the fly high 750s. As the boat hasn't arrived yet, I have a couple of questions. I have read plenty of posts from people who have done this, but there is a couple of specifics things I am wondering about. As we are in New Zealand, some parts are a little hard to come by easily. From what I understand, it's pretty easy to change from hard tanks to bags. However I am assuming that there are no one-way valves on the overflows from the tanks, but should have them when installing the bags (so air isn't sucked back in when emptying). Also, the boat we have ordered doesn't have the centre ballast but it is coming shipped with it, just not installed. We would like to also fit the fly high integrated bow ballast sac, filled from the overflow from the centre. Assuming that we would also need a check valve on the overflow from the bow bag, for the same reasons. For those who have added the bow integrated bag, have many of you run this from the centre overflow? Are there any tricks to getting it set up correctly?

I assume that the overflow from the centre should be then y'ed into two pipes running to the 'legs' of the bow integrated sac (so it drains properly). Do I need to have more than one overflow from the bow integrated, or will one from the top of one 'leg' be fine?

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas (it's a bit hard to plan this yet, as the boat doesn't arrive for another 2 weeks!! Can't wait!)

Cheers

mallees
10-10-2008, 12:15 AM
As you have to run the hoses for the center sack, I would suggest you also install an extra pump for the IBS. For the sake of a couple hundred dollars, you will have a much more user friendly system.
I have an 04 X2, (same boat) and have found 4 pumps is easier and quicker filling/emptying than what you are suggesting.

Harvey
10-10-2008, 06:37 PM
If you don't decide to put in the extra pump which is the best option, here is my suggestion for the integrated bow sack: don't do it with the overflow from the center ballast.

I spliced in a three way brass ball valve (CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO VALVE (http://secure2.data-comm.com/servlet/RBIS/-strse-48730/Ball-Valve-3-Way/Detail))where the line runs over the gas tank and under the black plastic access port for the center drain plug. I put one hose to the center ballast and the other to a hose that I coil up on top of the gas tank that I can pull up through the access hatch to fill a bag anywhere. The third port on the 3 way ball valve of coarse is attached to the hose to the pump. Make sure that you attach the hose to the pump to the correct port on the ball valve. If you wanted to you could direct connect the hose to the integrated bow sack by running it under the floor to the bow area but I wanted the ability to pump water in/out of any sack anywhere in the boat. This way if I wanted to add more weight at some point or an impeller goes south I can still empty the sack. I keep a few different hose attachments in the glove box for different style bags.

The one use I have not had to use it for but would be great is for bilge pumping. I could just leave the hose loose and put it in the bottom of the boat if it is full of water and it would empty the bilge VERY fast. I store it with the ball valve to the open ended hose closed so that any water coming in would go to the center ballast bag and then into the overflow and out of the boat.

The one drawback is the ball valve and hoses makes the access port to the center plug a little cramped but in no way hinders your ability to get at anything in that hole.

This ball valve systems works really well, in fact everyone I have on the boat comments on how great it is and that Mastercraft should make it an option or even standard on new boats. CLICK HERE (http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1570) to see some pictures of it (scroll to the bottom).

1boarder
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree with either a dedicated pump or a 3 way valve the overflow won't work because it will open the ski locker door when the center bag is full (mine did but maybe because my center sack was bigger than the space) and it will also put extra stress on the center bag. In my old x1, i put a 3 way valve right at the center ballast so I could switch between the front sac under the seat or the center bag in the ski locker. It worked great, but if I did it again, I would of added another dedicated pump.

wakedoc
10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm buying another pump. I thought the overflow system would be the simplest, followed by the valve idea from harvey, but I think after everyone elses opinions, I'll just plumb a standalone pump and pipes for the bow sac. thanks for the replies (boat should arrive within a week! Can't wait!) - and summer is just starting here in New Zealand!!