PDA

View Full Version : In the water all summer?

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I seem to remember reading that leaving a boat in the water for the summer could be hard on the gel coat. I plan to dock mine and maybe take it out every other weekend for a cleaning. Somebody once mentioned spraying or painting the hull with a specific paint of some sort. Do I need to do this and if so, can someone lead me in the right direction?

AirJunky
05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I keep my 94 in the water all summer. Hasn't had any problems yet. All I do is clean about once a month. Waxed the sides last weekend.

peason
05-03-2005, 07:14 PM
There are anti-fouling paints out there, but I would not use them on a MasterCraft. I have used a coating called Scatt which forms a "slippery" seal on the bottom of my last boat. You may want to check into something like this available from Overton's.

André
05-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Don't do that Jeff,you'll void your warranty! :D
Some peoples seems to do it every season and no problems and some did it for a few seasons with terrible results.
Your decision.
The only kind of marine paint that i can think that would do the job is an anti-fouling paint that they put on large cruisers and sailships but it's a rough looking paint...

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
There are anti-fouling paints out there, but I would not use them on a MasterCraft.

Why if I may ask?

Rockman
05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
The copper paints are used more on sailboats and boats that will be in the water for more than a good 6 months.

Just pull it out ebery 2 weeks and give it a good scrubbing, then wax.

It should be ok unless your water is really dirty.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Certainly has been reported by many that the gel coat bubbles when left in the water, still not sure if that is MC problem or happens to everyone. Appears to be wide range of happiness with this.

I also had a friend with 50' yacht and he had it painted with copper based paint with hot peppers mixed in. Says nothing grows on it due to peppers and all of the slim falls off when he starts moving. He has to repaint every 3-4 years and this boat is at Discover Bay in the delta south of San Francisco.

I just know everyone that does this in lakes around Indianapolis their hull reallllly loooks BAD.

ski_king
05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
This page was in my manual.

André
05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
It's a very mat(?) paint that you usually apply by paint or roll.It's got no shine at all and the times i applied it it was black.I'm sure it could be available to you in others colors now.I would think it would create some drag too as it's not very "slippery"(Was looking for a better english word but...)

Leroy
05-03-2005, 07:26 PM
JR I have an extra Hydrohoist 4400 lift I'll sell you!

André
05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
JR I have an extra Hydrohoist 4400 lift I'll sell you!
You have 2 or will you tow the boat everytime this year ? I know that you change marinas...

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Leroy, sure wish I could. Unfortunately I am not cool enough to have a lake front lot here (actually to cheap to shell out 250k for a lot or 1 mil for a house) No hoist for me

Peason, I searched Overtons and can't find anything called "scatt" do you have a link?

Andre' somehow I think MC could not really care about my boat to much :D

Leroy
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
The marina where I am this year provides the lift, as junky as they are. So I have a new lift still sitting on one lake and my boat on a old beat up lift on another lake. Will probably keep the lift, just buying a place on the lake to really use it is not in the budget yet!

You have 2 or will you tow the boat everytime this year ? I know that you change marinas...

Mag_Red
05-03-2005, 07:51 PM
JR I have an extra Hydrohoist 4400 lift I'll sell you!Just curious.....how much do you want for it??? IM me if you want :steering:

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 07:06 AM
This page was in my manual.

Thank you. Where were you on the last gel coat thread when I was standing all alone saying it's not a good idea? :rolleyes: (just kidding bud)

Being a former owner of a boat with blisters (it wasn't a MC though), All I'll say is I won't let that happen again.

For what it's worth, the paint now comes in different colors. Check out West Marine. I use the stuff on my lift cradle. Works great, but about $100+ per gallon.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 07:14 AM
We have had our non MC in the water from Memorial day to labor day for 16 years without having any issues with the fiberglass. I will say however, the side that is away from the dock is much more faded from the sun.

Get a Waterline cover if available.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Leroy,

Where are you located and how much for the lift?

6ballsisall
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Went to Local MC dealership today and they didn't have any recommendations for me and recommended not putting hull paint on the boat (don' worry I have/had ZERO intentions of doing that :D )
Only recommendation they had was to wash and wax it a few times a month and they said I should be fine. Cross your fingers!!!

Oh, they did say the new MC's have a barrier between the glass and the gel coat that take out the worries of bubbling gel coat. Can anyone confirm this?

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 04:30 PM
We have had our non MC in the water from Memorial day to labor day for 16 years without having any issues with the fiberglass. I will say however, the side that is away from the dock is much more faded from the sun.

Get a Waterline cover if available.

From the stories I've heard on here - I believe it's purely a luck thing. Guess you were lucky. I know through this board of at least 2 who were not.