PDA

View Full Version : End-of-day Cleaning?

Ski MC
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
What is the easiest and most efficient way of cleaning the boat at the end of the day? Just a shammy to the hull, or some kind of cleaner? Waht about the upholstery?
Thanks for your input!

1996 PS 205

ski_king
05-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I wipe mine down with Mcguires Quick Detailer. Wipe off the seats and clean any waterspots on them at the time.

The interor gets Formula 303 every other week or sooner if needed.

RackAtak
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Babe's Boat Bright.

Rockman
05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
We use a mix of 75% vinegar and 25% water for the outside. Works good if you keep up on the wax.

Inside just gest wiped down with a wet towel and then a dry clean towel.

Windex on the dash and then furniture polish.

sten76
05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Do you clean your boat on the outside everytime, even if it's on a shorestation? I would think to clean the inside, but maybe not the hull each time if it's on the lift...

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Do you clean your boat on the outside everytime, even if it's on a shorestation? I would think to clean the inside, but maybe not the hull each time if it's on the lift...

Mine is on a lift. I wipe it down every time we come back in. Even if it's 2 or 3 times a day. If I don't, it'll start getting a brown tint in no time.

sizzler
05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
heres my dilemma.......

was raining when i put the boat on the lift on mon night....had to leave to get the kids to school for tues morning....cant leave it with no cover to dry because may not go there for a week or 2...so had to put the cover on it wet....not ideal but what can i do.....
there is no one there to do it for me if i am not there... :confused:

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 06:08 AM
heres my dilemma.......

was raining when i put the boat on the lift on mon night....had to leave to get the kids to school for tues morning....cant leave it with no cover to dry because may not go there for a week or 2...so had to put the cover on it wet....not ideal but what can i do.....

I will hope on your part that you don't get a visit from Mr. Mold.

peason
05-04-2005, 07:44 AM
I use about a 10% vinegar/90% water in a spray bottle and wipe it down every time we come off the lake. Works great on water spots - especially with a black hull. I agree you need to keep up on the wax.

tex
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Massengales for me too. Wipe down-Kills water spots. Very diluted simple green for the inside. I have both in spray bottles. I spray-Inga wipes! I also D.J. with the transom remote!

MarkP
05-04-2005, 10:26 AM
I wipe my boat off with a cloth baby diaper as soon as it comes out of the water and give it a good wash 4 or 5 times a season with a wax 2 or three times a season..

phecksel
05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Most every time it gets rinsed off with fresh water and wiped down with chamois. Occassionally will receive a misting of pure vinegar, and way too infrequently a wax job

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I wipe my boat off with a cloth baby diaper as soon as it comes out of the water and give it a good wash 4 or 5 times a season with a wax 2 or three times a season..

That's exactly my M.O. Incidentilly, windex and simple green are on the MC list of no-no products. I used dilluted SG once though with no ill effects. Just sayin' is all.

wiltok
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Even though it is a pain in the rear - I wipe my boat down after every ride (it's stored on a lift and goes out several times each day). I used to use the fake chamois - but actually the real stuff is the best. Especially once it has been used for a while and is broken in.

Rockman
05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
heres my dilemma.......

Sizzler,

There are a couple of things you can do if you have to cover the boat when it is wet. First, you can have plastic vents sewn into you cover to allow air to get into the boat. Second, if the boat is on a lift, then unplug the drain to allow the water to exit and put a small 4x4 under the front part of the motor box to allow air to circulate and this also will allow any heat from the engine to makes its way into the boat and help dry any wet areas. Lastly, you can buy something (not sure if is a small plastic disc which looks like a stick-up air freshener) that traps moisture in the air. I can't remember the name of it. It might be "Mold Be Gone" or something like that. I believe it also comes in a powder and you can just pour some in a bowl and put it in your boat. My brother-in-law uses that at his summer cottage during the winter months and it really works.

These things will help but the best thing would be to not cover it. But given your situation, it seems your choices are slim. Hope that helps!

Footin
05-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I just pull it out of the water at the end of the day and use "The Absorber" brand chamois. It works well, but if it really dirty from the lake water I wash it in the driveway when I get home.

BriEOD
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I use turtle wax car wash soap and a sponge and give the boat and the trailer a fresh water bath EVERY time she comes out. I then wipe it down with a synthetic chamois. The inside I use a terri towel and 303. Also, if it needs a vacuming, I hit it with the shop vac. I always make sure it's clean, dry and gased before I put it away. The last thing I want to do when I'm ready to go out is put gas in er' or clean er' up.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it better to put fresh gas in before you hit the water, or is it okay to store the boat (couple weeks) in between uses w/ a full tank.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
If you're not going to run a tank through over a two week period, especially with a carb, make sure it's stabilized. Old gas and carbs don't get along well. I don't add gas on the way home. But since I almost always add fuel stabilizer, I don't worry about it too much. I haven't seen any negative effects from regular use of the stabilizer.

The reason for adding gas is to not leave room in the tank for condensation to occur. So what Brian's doing is a good thing in that regard. In my situation, since the fuel stabilizer has a drying agent in it (is that what it's called), I don't worry about condensation too much. Plus, I don't like the extra weight of a full tank when I'm skiing.

School Skier
05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I wipe the boat off with a towel and then used Babes boat cleaner to get the water spots out after that I use Babes spray wax the boat looks great after that.
I need to pay more attention to the interior wipe that off too.

Todd Brosius
05-04-2005, 09:28 PM
The "absorber" for me followed by Meguiares "Quick Clean Marine" and then once back in the shed, if time allows, a quick spray wax. My boat is dark blue, not easy to care for. Only an absorber and cloth diapers touch the exterior of my boat. Interior, I use Meguires vinyl/rubber cleaner almost every time she makes a run.

jimmer2880
05-05-2005, 07:04 AM
The "absorber" for me followed by Meguiares "Quick Clean Marine" and then once back in the shed, if time allows, a quick spray wax. My boat is dark blue, not easy to care for. Only an absorber and cloth diapers touch the exterior of my boat. Interior, I use Meguires vinyl/rubber cleaner almost every time she makes a run.

I'm with you on the absorbers! They rock.

jsonova99
05-05-2005, 07:13 AM
I give the boat a full wash with meguiar's boat wash then wax it every 2 or 3 months. I clean the interior with good old soap and water and then hit all of the vinyl and plastic with STP son of a gun protectant. I also slap a coat of oil on the swim platform every 2 or 3 times out. I also clean the bilge out every time, just dump some soapy water in that cuts any grease and flushes and debris out. Plus the lake water down here is nasty so the water that gets in the bilge leaves a film on everything. I jsut gave the bilge a really good cleaning with dilute simple green, what a difference, the fiberglass under the motor is shiny and new looking again. That's my general routine.

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 07:25 AM
The bilge is probably one of the most neglected areas on the boat. Glad to hear you have found a way to keep it clean. I will keep that in mind!

jsonova99
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I figure anything bad is going to build up in the bilge especially oil or any other flammable substances. What set me off though was I was down there chaning out a battery cable, and everything just had this oily residue, so I went to town with the simple green and a brush and cleaned everything up. I highly recommend it, it really makes a big difference in my opinion even though it is out of sight, whenever you have to go down there for something you will really appreciate when everything is clean and there is no buildup of sand or other crap that washed dwon there.

erkoehler
05-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I think it just provides an added feeling of cleanliness, also if you look down there you can tell who really takes care of their boats!

BarefootWt
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I wipe it down everytime up on the ShoreStation, else the hull develops a film that is a bear to get off when winterizing. It is well worth the invetiment each time up the lift I have found. I just use a damp towell, and wipe off all water spots on the interior as well - espedcially the interfaces between cushions to prevent the mildew. You can prop up the cushions in some cases that will help them dry. Keeping a good coat of wax is the most important thing as the water films will wipe off easily this way.