PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Skins for '97 PS 205

stx22
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I know there are tons of topics on this subject, but I wanted to throw a question out there to those that have replaced skins or might have some insight.
I ordered new skins and am going to "attempt" to replace them myself (Observer & Front Seats). However, when I took the old skins off I noiced that seats were retaining quite a bit of moisture and that despite being in a heated garage, uncovered, for the past week, the foam was still wet & the inside of the skins were damp.
1. anyone had this problem?
2. Should you replace the foam when recovering the seats with new skins?
a. If so, how do I go about this - the observer's seat has some funky angles.

east tx skier
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Leave them out in the sun to dry them. This may take some time.

There's a good chance they may have shrunk over the last eleven years. That said, I didn't replace mine at 10 years on my MC. But on my new to me boat, I had the shrunken foam on one of the cushions.

For the foam, take it to an automotive trim shop and ask them to cut you a new one of the same density. It probably won't cost much. Maybe $30 per cushion. For another $25 each, you could get the skins installed, but those two cushions won't be that hard to cover.

stx22
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks, I will check around the local automotive shops.

I guess the real issue I am worried about is the mold. In some parts, the foam is completely black. Anyway, they are finally drying out nicely, but I don;t want to cover them back up if they should be replaced.

The observer seat is one piece and it looks like it will be quite a challenge to put the new skin on next spring.

rubypc
10-11-2008, 03:40 PM
where did you get the new skins? i thought mc only went back to 2003