PDA

View Full Version : Austin Dam 2 Dam race

ncsone
10-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone going to Austin to compete in or watch the Dam to Dam barefoot race on Nov. 8-9? It is something like 21 miles of barefooting... I have never been, but it sounds like a great reason to get to Austin again.

Looking to see if anyone has any knowledge about start locations, good places to put in since we will be taking the boat, etc.

-NCS

TX.X-30 fan
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
http://www.barefootworlds.com/barefootforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=768&OB=DESC

ncsone
10-09-2008, 10:13 AM
anyone from TT going to this?

corey
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
My counterpart here at Midwest MasterCraft just won a dam 2 dam race with his X-14 here in MN. The other boats laughed when his team showed up as they were rocking outboard footing boats. The 14 held 45mph the whole way through and they ended up winning by a margin so large the 2nd place boat wasn't even in sight!

Course the 14 burned 35 gallons of gas and the outboards used 5 but thats the price of winning I guess.

TexasMC230
10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I might check it out. If you want to stay closer to Austin I would put boat in at Hudson Bend or Lakeway

ncsone
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
From my understanding, it is going to be on lake Austin. So, we will probably put in at the 360 bridge. We will watch them come by, then head towards town to see the finish. From there, who knows? Maybe Hula Hut.

east tx skier
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
As a skier, if you're on Lake Austin, take the boat over to Ski Shores for a burger (or drive there if you don't have your boat). Awesome burgers.

www.skishores.com

captain planet
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone going to Austin to compete in or watch the Dam to Dam barefoot race on Nov. 8-9? It is something like 21 miles of barefooting... I have never been, but it sounds like a great reason to get to Austin again.

Looking to see if anyone has any knowledge about start locations, good places to put in since we will be taking the boat, etc.

-NCS

21 miles of footin'???? Straight through? I love to foot, but that hurts my feet just thinking about it.

ncsone
10-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, straight through. But, I believe that teams have 4-5 people. Either way, it sounds like a long way to me.

ncsone
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I thought that I would report back in on this now that we have seen it. It was not as big of a production as I thought it would be, but it is still a great event. We watched the quali heats on Saturday and skipped the finals on Sunday. There were 9 teams (boats), each with 4 footers for the event.

The event itself is pretty wild. 4 or 5 boats line up side by side at the Tom Miller dam for the start. Once underway, it was pretty impressive to see 5 boats heading your way with footers behind at a high rate of speed. From the start, it is about 20 miles of barefooting. Teams use a towline with handles at each end that is pulled via a pulley system. Once one footer falls down, a new one jumps in the water with the 'boat' end of the towline and handle. The towboat picks up the original footer and starts to head up river. As the 2nd footer and the boat separate, it pulls the towline through the pulley and the original handle back into the boat. The entire switch probably takes 10 seconds or less.

BTW, the first 3 miles were less than smooth. There was wind blowing right down the river causing 6 or 8 inch waves, which was creating havoc for the footers. Expecially, once they fell and tried to get going again.

The boats were mostly dedicated barefoot boats. There have been Mastercrafts in the race in previous years (I believe KSO has done this for a couple of the past races), but not this year.

We followed the race in my 197TT, running wide open and we could not keep up. My GPS showed me at 43MPH. I think that the slower racers were moving out at around 50MPH and the lead guys at approximately 55MPH.

Feel free to check out the pics I took if you like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/neillcstrickland/AustinD2DBarefootRace#

BTW, the air temp when we put in was 43 degrees. Brrr.

No Skeez
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I did the Quad Cities race in Moline, IL about 4 years ago or so. I want to say it was originally planned at 26 or 27 miles, but the local DNR got word of the race and the night before the course was changed and in the process, shortened to about 21 or so I believe. Probably one of the coolest watersports experiences I've had. There were 6 or 7 teams, all lined up side by side, ropes tight, footers in the water. Drop the flag and go! It's pretty crazy to be running wide open with a footer in tow and look over and 30 feet to your side is another boat! Half the race went down the main channel of the Mississippi, and at one point, one of our guys went down close enough to really fire up a barge operator. He got on the PA and was swearing at us and on his horn. Probably not the best move on our part, but ah well. In the end we came in second to last, as us and the last place team were the only two not running a Ski Pro or a Sanger. In addition to the description above, the towboat has the inside section of a boom attached as well, with a handle wrapped around it and duct taped in place about four inches below the boom. Boat driver drives past the downed footer at a decent clip, skier grabs the boom handle with one hand and the guys in the boat grab the other and drag him over the gunwale, as the other guy is in the water as described above. Like I said, pretty cool experience, and what a rush! We were a team of 5 but one guy burned up his foot on his second heat, so we had to cycle four guys through the rotation. It got a little long towards the end, but I would, and hope to, do it again!

03 35th Anniversary
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Why do they always hold barefoot races when it is cold????

ncsone
11-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I do not know that that answer. But, I can tell you that I was really wishing that I had brought my ski and wetsuit. It was over 80 in Austin on Saturday and the water temp down at the lower end was pretty bearable.

flipper
11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Why do they always hold barefoot races when it is cold????

So you're numb?

ncsone
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Found some footage from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKIVzg-GRs

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=3547317

east tx skier
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I do not know that that answer. But, I can tell you that I was really wishing that I had brought my ski and wetsuit. It was over 80 in Austin on Saturday and the water temp down at the lower end was pretty bearable.

Did you hit Ski Shores?

ncsone
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
No. We did Hula Hut instead. The wife was not interested in burgers, so we went to HH for snacks and drinks.