PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lake turned white X9 yellow!

jberylec
10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Help! :-(
How do I clean the yellow stain off the entire bottom of my boat? Never had this happen before... been in many lakes with jet skiis and boats...

Anyone else ever have this happen? Is it common? Or do I just need to never go back to the guilty lake? This happened after just being dropped in the lake Saturday afternoon, docked over night, and taken out Sunday afternoon. So, barely one weekend. I can only imagine the boats that stay docked there 24/7 :-(

I've tried a towel with water, it's a no go...
Thanks in advance

ttu
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
have had that happend a couple times.

use starbrite hull cleaner, just put some was on when you get done.

88 PS190
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you have some staining. You're going to have to polish it with a fiberglass cleaner.

Then make sure its well waxed on the bottom, many people don't ever wax the bottom of the hull.

And in lakes that are quite brown put your white boat on the trailer.

Bob B
10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
second that. works for me
Bob B

coz
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Help! :-(
How do I clean the yellow stain off the entire bottom of my boat? Never had this happen before... been in many lakes with jet skiis and boats...

Anyone else ever have this happen? Is it common? Or do I just need to never go back to the guilty lake? This happened after just being dropped in the lake Saturday afternoon, docked over night, and taken out Sunday afternoon. So, barely one weekend. I can only imagine the boats that stay docked there 24/7 :-(

I've tried a towel with water, it's a no go...
Thanks in advance

The only lake in SoCal that I know will do that is Elsinore :confused: is that the guilty lake?

Let the other TT members know so they don't get what you got :D

Doesn't matter what lake you're on if you leave it for an extended time you will get a ring but it normally comes off easy.

ORX-1
10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
3M makes a great fiberglass cleaner and marine wax combo that I use all the time. It will do the trick. Just put some on a rag and wipe the boat, the yellow will come right off. I have never had to do a job like that but it has done me right so far with small spots.

jberylec
10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the advise! So, how do I get under the bunks? I mean, it's sitting on the trailer and I know I'm gonna have yellow under the bunks too :-(

Is there a product that I can use safely under water next time I have the boat in the lake? (a cleaner lake mind you!)

Thanks again...

jberylec
10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
The only lake in SoCal that I know will do that is Elsinore :confused: is that the guilty lake?

Let the other TT members know so they don't get what you got :D

Doesn't matter what lake you're on if you leave it for an extended time you will get a ring but it normally comes off easy.

I'm actually in NorCal. I'm sure the norcal people can guess which lake caused this :-(
I've never had this problem at Mendo, Sonoma, or Berryessa!

Anyhow, I wish it was just a ring, but it's the entire undernieth and sides! Every part that's white now has a yellow haze to it. And it doesnt just rub off.

I'm gonna try some of these suggestions! :-)

2RLAKE
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
try lime away ... that works sometimes

1boarder
10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
starbrite hull cleaner will to the trick as stated above. the stain will melt off. make sure you wash it off good and don't inhale the fumes as they will take your breath (it is acid). you also will need to rewax the boat as it will also strip off the wax.

Chicago190
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
If Starbrite doesn't work then use Marykate's On/Off Hull Cleaner. That will take the stain off without a doubt. As for under the bunks, short of taking the boat off the trailer and putting it on blocks I think you're just gonna have to live with it.

Jerseydave
10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
My old boat sat in a particular river for a week, turned tan like coffee stains.

I used Slimey Grimey to remove it, worked well. (wear gloves and a mask, big time fumes)

etakk7
10-08-2008, 07:38 PM
too much effort people! any kind of toilet bowl cleaner will do the trick. Just spray it on, wait a minute or so, lightly scrub, and rinse. I would recommend waxing to the water line, but I think most would agree waxing the entire hull regularly is a wasted effort, the water will wear it off in one outing.

Kevin 89MC
10-08-2008, 10:50 PM
If Starbrite doesn't work then use Marykate's On/Off Hull Cleaner. That will take the stain off without a doubt. As for under the bunks, short of taking the boat off the trailer and putting it on blocks I think you're just gonna have to live with it.

Yep, what he said^^ :)
Star Brite works for most general cleaning, but I had to use Mary Kate's for the first major clean (after several years of neglect). It's harsh stuff, but works awesome, bad stains wiped right off. Toilet bowl cleaner worked OK for me, but would run off the bottom too quick.
I leave mine in for a full week on vacation every year (launch too far away, would cut into ski time too much!), and with a good coat of wax, Star Brite allows me to wipe it right off a few days after we get home.

Good luck!

jberylec
10-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Glad to hear this is common! I was worried that I either did something stupid or this lake is just really toxic! I will buy some spray on toilet cleaner...

bamboo
10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Starbrite!

Skipper
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Here's a question for you....if the water is turning our boats yellow, then what is it doing to us? :confused:

endl
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Use magic erasers also, they work great with whichever chemical your using.

Ric
10-10-2008, 10:16 AM
too much effort people! any kind of toilet bowl cleaner will do the trick. Just spray it on, wait a minute or so, lightly scrub, and rinse. I would recommend waxing to the water line, but I think most would agree waxing the entire hull regularly is a wasted effort, the water will wear it off in one outing.
this is correct,
but I do believe in waxing after the toilet cleaner has been completely rinsed and completely dried. I believe this keeps the stains away longer.

ORX-1
10-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I would try the 3M before you use the Starbrite just because how harsh it is on the wax. the 3M should get it off and you won't have to rewax. Just a thought.