PDA

View Full Version : ways to keep rodents at bay

TheOneandOnly
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Guys which methods worked best to keep rodents (mice, etc) at bay when storing your boat over the winter. I just cleaned it, put dryer sheets in all compartments, about to cover is there anything else I should do?

flipper
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
tape your exhaust flaps closed

Loffgren
10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
X2 Tape exhaust flaps closed...

Put a couple traps inside just incase????

justinlkgb
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Guys which methods worked best to keep rodents (mice, etc) at bay when storing your boat over the winter. I just cleaned it, put dryer sheets in all compartments, about to cover is there anything else I should do?

How many dryer sheet?
Last year, I used about 75 sheets. Ripped them in half even, also I am crazy:D

With regards to the duct tape...I do the same only add a layer of copper mesh around the exhaust ports outside. Then ball the remaining up in the end as a plug.

I also use the copper mesh in the drain plug. So far in 3 Minnesota winters no mice.
1st year stored in a pole shed with bare floor and no other tennants.
2nd and 3rd year I have stored in a similar situation only with other boats as well.

If you need to find the mesh, let me know i'll see what I can do for you!;)

mitch
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Dryer sheets should do it, I use a ton too. I've also stuff one one in the plug hole instead of the mesh for the last couple of years, no problems.

stuartmcnair
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
put a cat in before you secure the cover on it

starman205
10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I use dryer sheets as well and never had a problem with winter visitors over the past seven winters. I also tape over the water intake just to be sure.

ProTour X9
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
We use moth balls.

88 PS190
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I've never had problems with rodents in the boat. But I do close my exhaust flaps after making sure the water is drained out of the mufflers.

mitch
10-08-2008, 07:00 PM
We use moth balls.

those are gross....dryer sheets will leave it smelling spring fresh and have woked perfect for many. my .02

TheOneandOnly
10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
ok going to keep with the dryer sheets, tape the exhaust flaps, all ballast inlets, put the cover on & put a mice killer (decon) around the garage. We here in my area of MN have mice bad, I went to the shed last week and three went scattering all different ways. Put a decon in there and a week later they were gone, however the shed was a little smellie since they had a baby dead in one of my old helmets. Even chewed all the top foam out, Uhh luckly it wasnt a helmet i cared for... Just would hate to open the new boat in the spring to see a burro in a seat. But I think this should take care of it
Thanks guys

JohnnyB
10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I bought an ultrasonic rodent deterrent device and put it in my, at that time, mouse-infested garage.....mice disappeared and never came back.

Please be careful with the deacon as it is very hazardous to your pets and those of your neighbors.

Slinkyredfoot
10-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I bought a real cheap peacock from some schister in Florida last fall, and just let me say do not waste your money on a peacock..they are way over hyped for keeping rodents in the bay

JohnnyB
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/M792

Ric
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I worried about this so much I had the exterminator set about 6 of those rodent bait boxes around my house and garage... the theory was to lure them away from the boat IF they are there... the expert told me that if you have one, you have hundreds and we'll be able to tell by the bait.... Well I never had a mouse problem with the boat so I say it worked!;) ... anyway I never bothered to open the boxes and see if the bait was taken, so I have no idea if we ever had rodents or not.

Prostar Rich
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Dryer sheets will make the boat smell nice after winter storage but they will not deter mice. You are better off making sure that the garage that you store your boat in doesn't have areas that mice can get in. As mentioned in a previous post bait traps on the outside of the garage are a good thing. Someone else mentioned moth balls and moth balls will deter mice to a certain extent if you can put up with the smell after you get the boat out of storage.

Prostar Rich

mess33
10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Prostar Rich is right. Dryer sheets and even dcon are poor tools to go to battle with. Get an exterminator with the high test bait boxes and put them inside and outside your garage. Mice are like terrorists. You have to go to them and get them before they get in your house.

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
The best mouse trap

1. a five gallon bucket, plastic is a must 2. drink a soda (beer works) you just need the empty can 3. about a foot and a half of copper wire 4. penut butter 5. thin long board about 2-3 feet long. 5. rv antifreeze

Poke a hole at the top of the bucket on both sides, wash the can and coat with penut butter, hang the can from the wire so it spins (go through the top hole you drink out of and poke another in the bottom) put the antifreeze in the bucket. When the mouse climbs the ramp and jumps to the penut butter the can spins and he falls in. the plastic is too slick to climb so the anitfreeze pickles him and he dies.

I leave two or three of these traps in the garage over the winter. I also keep all the compartments open and they seem to stay out.

Tom

tsdrc
10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
TheOne - I always use Decon and I store our boat in a barn in Colorado. It has always worked.
ProStar that sounds like an awesome trap. Plus I think the kids would get a kick out of it.

Ric
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
how is the smell in there at the end of the layup?

The best mouse trap

1. a five gallon bucket, plastic is a must 2. drink a soda (beer works) you just need the empty can 3. about a foot and a half of copper wire 4. penut butter 5. thin long board about 2-3 feet long. 5. rv antifreeze

Poke a hole at the top of the bucket on both sides, wash the can and coat with penut butter, hang the can from the wire so it spins (go through the top hole you drink out of and poke another in the bottom) put the antifreeze in the bucket. When the mouse climbs the ramp and jumps to the penut butter the can spins and he falls in. the plastic is too slick to climb so the anitfreeze pickles him and he dies.

I leave two or three of these traps in the garage over the winter. I also keep all the compartments open and they seem to stay out.

Tom

Monte
10-15-2008, 02:22 PM

I was wondering about getting the dead rodent out. tongs, fish net, straw???

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM

it doesn't smell at all. we use those traps in our basement as well and they work like a charm.

Tom

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I was wondering about getting the dead rodent out. tongs, fish net, straw???

Any way, a cheap way is just go buy a box of latex gloves and use your hands. Dig a hole and bury them.

Tom

Monte
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Just poking a little fun on a very boring TT day..

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
:DJust poking a little fun on a very boring TT day..

any day on teamtalk is a better day than not being on teamtalk. Thread jack over.

Tom

Bodyshots
10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Best way to keep rodents away?

Cats
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/cat_gun.jpg

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Best way to keep rodents away?

Cats
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/cat_gun.jpg

yeah but do you really trust a cat with a rifle next to your MC. i sure dont.

Tom