PDA

View Full Version : Hull Blisters

clarkem
10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
If a boat has hull blisters does that mean the boat should be scraped?

bigmac
10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
If you want to get rid of them, about all you can do is re-gelcoat. If the boat is going to sit in the water for extended periods, it should then have a barrier coat, epoxy or something, applied over the new gelcoat.

clarkem
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
can the boat be kept with the blisters or do they need to be fixed/removed

bigmac
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
can the boat be kept with the blisters or do they need to be fixed/removed

I don't think it's imperative that they be removed. I suppose they might affect the way the hull moves through the water if there are enough of them.

88 PS190
10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd either leave them alone or have the whole bottom of the hull repaired and epoxy coated.

Don't home remedy these.

russlars
10-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Clarkem, it looks like you came back to give the site another try. Hopefully with a better sense of humor this time. I guess we are not all "hacks" after all! I'll try and forget your PM. For what it is worth, my old runabout developed hull blistering after sitting in the lake for an entire summer. I owned it for several years thereafter. None of the blisters ever broke or caused the gel coat to flake away so I never did anything to repair them. I still see the boat from time to time and I don't think the subsequent owners have done anything to it either. Last time I saw it on the lake it was still floating!

Skipper
10-08-2008, 09:18 AM

No scraping, could leave gouges, you should use a grinder with 80 grit. Then use a good epoxy resin before applying a quality marine filler. Sand with 220 grit on a long board. Regel to at least 22 mls.

:wavey: