PDA

View Full Version : Winterize guidelines w/ pics?

Roonie's
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know if someone has done a complete winterization guidelines with pics etc. I am thinking something like this for the newer V-drive.

http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/Epic%20Winterizing%20Procedure.pdf

If someone has done something like posted above please post it and we should sticky it. I am much better with pictures etc then written words. I know in the commonly asked questions there is words but no pics. If I knew fully what to do I would do one myself. I have my dealer winterize mine.

Cougar Gold
10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I would agree with Rooni. This would be a very helpfull tool.

Cloaked
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
There is one right here on the board in the FAQ.

:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
There is one right here on the board in the FAQ.:rolleyes:

Link, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

brucemac
10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
roonie, i thought you had yours done at the dealer already? maybe they're burried and you're waiting.

OhioX14
10-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know if someone has done a complete winterization guidelines with pics etc. I am thinking something like this for the newer V-drive.

http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/Epic%20Winterizing%20Procedure.pdf

If someone has done something like posted above please post it and we should sticky it. I am much better with pictures etc then written words. I know in the commonly asked questions there is words but no pics. If I knew fully what to do I would do one myself. I have my dealer winterize mine.

Here's a very good written version from one of our own:

http://www.easttxskier.com/articles.html

Perhaps someone could augment with pics for you since, unlike the Epic example, this one has everything in the proper order.

jclose8
10-12-2008, 09:43 AM
How about a step by step powerpoint presentation? You can download it here:

WINTERIZING DIRECTIONS (http://www.filebam.com/download/70585-50989f/Boat Winterizingppt.pps)

Roonie's
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
There is one right here on the board in the FAQ.

:rolleyes:

Not to be-labor the point but I specifically asked for one with pics. I already stated I know of the one in teamtalk facts done by Eastie but that has no pics. Also his is for an older engine not the newer fuel injected engines. I know they are relatively the same steps but again...... looking for pics. Look at my link I included with my first post and that will give you an idea of what I am looking for.

Also don't have powerpoint so not sure if the post before this applies.

I have already winterized my boat this year but it would be great to put together one with pics for next year. Cost me about $475 to winterize it and that didn't include impeller change which I did on my own but would have been $180 more for dealer to do. Would have been grand total of $670. I want to do it myself next year to save some bucks.

jclose8
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Also don't have powerpoint so not sure if the post before this applies.

I'm pretty sure you can download a Powerpoint reader for free.....

OhioX14
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
How about a step by step powerpoint presentation? You can download it here:

WINTERIZING DIRECTIONS (http://www.filebam.com/download/70585-50989f/Boat Winterizingppt.pps)

Very nicely done! Now if someone could do something similar for a couple of different Mastercraft's. I personally would love to see the MCX complete with heater core and ballast.

Roonie's
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you can download a Powerpoint reader for free.....

Downloaded one for free... thanks......

That is exactly what I am talking about and why I started this thread... well done.

JimN
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
That's great but if the motor is a newer one and has an O2 sensor and catalytic converter, fogging is probably not recommended.

"Now if someone could do something similar for a couple of different Mastercraft's. I personally would love to see the MCX complete with heater core and ballast."

Remember to thank whoever creates these PP, excel and Word documents to lay out the procedures for all of this stuff if any of you meet them, because this stuff takes time to do.

How hard should it be to suck anti-freeze into the ballast tanks/bags after draining them? For the heater core, get a fuel line with primer bulb, a barb fitting that fits the line and heater hose and pump the juice into the heater.

Manufacturers don't generally do this because it exposes them to liability risks. Someone follows the procedure and something is damaged, there's almost ALWAYS going to be a lawsuit.

OhioX14
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
How hard should it be to suck anti-freeze into the ballast tanks/bags after draining them? For the heater core, get a fuel line with primer bulb, a barb fitting that fits the line and heater hose and pump the juice into the heater.

I couldn't agree more and the same could be said for the entire winterization procedure. It is a very simple task that just about anyone can, and probable should, do to their own boat. It offers one the ability to better understand their boat, tinker with it one last time before putting it to bed for the winter, allows you to make sure it's done correctly, and will save you some serious $$.

That said, not everyone understands how to do all of this their first time so I think the idea of a picture enhanced guide is a great idea. And if you need it for the engine why not have it for the heater and ballast too? A quick seach of this site will prove that there are numerous heater cores that either don't get winterized correctly or are completely forgotten about in the first place. Adding these items to the procedure may at the very least heighten awareness that these items need to be done too.

JimN
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Most people should and the ones who honestly have no mechanical aptitude need to acknowledge this (these people don't know which end of the screwdriver to pound on). Winterizing is easy but for some people, there are some aspects that should be observed the first couple of times, so they can know what they need to look for and when to do certain things.

The owner's manual does have winterization steps in it (I just found this for someone who has an '07 RPT motor).

We used to recommend leaving the owner's manual in the bathroom, for some light reading.

Grover777
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I just completed my winterizing. It was my first time and was not too bad thanks to the owner's manual, some folks at TT (JimN, EastTx, BigMc), the widley available ppt presentation and one txt to my dealer.

The only casualty was my blower ducting....see other post under General.

It took me some time to do it, but I learned a lot and I am sure next year will take no time at all.

Now all I have to do is deal with the blower, clean the carpets, work on the teak and count the days until spring!!

east tx skier
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Not to be-labor the point but I specifically asked for one with pics. I already stated I know of the one in teamtalk facts done by Eastie but that has no pics. Also his is for an older engine not the newer fuel injected engines. I know they are relatively the same steps but again...... looking for pics. Look at my link I included with my first post and that will give you an idea of what I am looking for.

For what it's worth, I use that same checklist for my multiport fuel injected engine on my current boat. The only difference (noted in the checklist on my site) is that I don't fog a dry intake at the intake. As far as pictures go, somebody else will probably have to take on that project. I never feel like grabbing a camera when I have engine goop on my hands. :)

Glad you got it done!

JimN
10-22-2008, 07:42 PM
So Doug, how do you like fuel injection vs carb?

east tx skier
10-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't really think about it, which is the advantage. Never had a problem with my boat starting once I got a good carb on there. Of course, no more pumping the throttle isn't too bad either. 10 more hp and gear reduction is nothing to sneeze at either.

tyree21
10-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Was stoked about reading the Winterization powerpoint because I am in need but nothing but malware/virus. Was this post legit once upon a time?

mikeg205
10-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Was stoked about reading the Winterization powerpoint because I am in need but nothing but malware/virus. Was this post legit once upon a time?

it's a bit much for your 2008.

Fonz_73
10-19-2014, 12:58 PM
So I was going to take pictures to try and help this thread out, but below is how I was stuck winterizing for my first time ever.

http://i60.tinypic.com/27zgac4.jpg

I do have a few questions.

1.Is there a proper/suggested way to store sumo sacs? They are not plumbed in, so they are not spending the winter in the boat.
2.I ran the engine up to temperature (~15min), then transferred the hose over the 5 gallon bucket full of -200 antifreeze. The water exhaust was spitting pink. Killed the engine, and moved onto winterizing the heater. I remove the hose to the spigot, and it drained non pink water when I put it in the bilge to remove the return hose. When I blew air through the hose the return was spitting pink water. I then sucked up antifreeze using and RV hand pump until I saw it coming out the return hose. Is it normal to have the heater still have regular water in it (maybe due to running at idle rpm)? Below is what I believed was the return. Please correct me if Iím wrong.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2uo71a1.jpg