PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Is It To Replace An Impeller?

O2BESOHUGE
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
On A 91 Pro Star 190? Is This A Back Yard Project I Could Do Myself? Any Special Tools I Would Need?

Any Tips Would Be Appreciated!

Thanks!
Jay

flipper
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Easy to do yourself. Nothing special as far as tools. Look around here, as there are a few different ways that people do it. Soap helps a lot to get the old one out.

Roonie's
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Easy on an inboard. I had some difficulty on my V-drive and some bruises. I used two needle nose pliers and pulled it straight out with those. I have heard of some folks using two paint can openers but that did not even make mine budge at all. Still with mine being very stubborn to come out it still only took about 10 minutes. Did mine just last week.

BrianM
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Should be no more than a 10 minute job on your boat. Two paint can openers make quick work of it. Undo the coverplate and put a little liquid soap or binding lube in the housing. Bump the starter a couple of times and then put a paint can opener on each side of the impeller. Hook them behind and pull. Should come out pretty easy. Push the new one in and install the new gasket and cover plate. Easy.

88 PS190
10-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Should be easy, can be a bear.

Gather what brianM mentioned, but i'd also be prepared for alternate methods should that fail.

Be careful with the screws, they are brass and can be damaged fairly easily if you aren't careful.

O2BESOHUGE
10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Where Do You Guys Order Your Gaskets?
Skidim?

Thanks!
Jay

6ballsisall
10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Where Do You Guys Order Your Gaskets?
Skidim?

Thanks!
Jay

Yep. Gaskets have always come w/ the impeller when I bought them.

FrankSchwab
10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll second the "Be careful with the screws". First time I did mine, I twisted the heads right off the poor little things. When you buy the impeller, make sure to order extra screws - they're cheap. Throw'em in the tool box, because one day you'll need them.

/frank

Gonzo
10-07-2008, 02:56 PM
SkiDim is the place, I have overtons in my area so I stopped by there and picked one up... but in general if I order online, I order from skidim.

as to the changing, I didnt use soap or anything to help me get it out but had the stuff that came with it to put it in... 20 min job, first time. It will only take me 10 or so in the spring.

coz
10-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I'll second the "Be careful with the screws". First time I did mine, I twisted the heads right off the poor little things. When you buy the impeller, make sure to order extra screws - they're cheap. Throw'em in the tool box, because one day you'll need them.

/frank

How's it going Frank? #1 gave me the best tip for those brass screws, home depot little drawers with the stainless screw selection :D the SS is stonnger than the soft brass.

Roonie's
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
One other tip.... the gasket is foam and easy to tear. I got a little rowdy getting the new impeller out of packaging and the foam gasket tore. I am hoping for no leaks next year but will look carefully.

88 PS190
10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
How's it going Frank? #1 gave me the best tip for those brass screws, home depot little drawers with the stainless screw selection :D the SS is stonnger than the soft brass.

Right but that housing isn't steel I'd rather damage a few brass screws a decade than strip out a housing.

Sodar
10-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Right but that housing isn't steel I'd rather damage a few brass screws a decade than strip out a housing.

Exactly! Never use anything other than the brass screws unless you want to retap your water pump or by a new one!

TMCNo1
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Use the s/s allen head bolts, flat washers and lock washers and when the lock washer is tightened flat, the bolt is tight enough and wont back out,

TMCNo1
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Only if you overtighten them, which is totally unnecessary if all you do is tighten to flatten the lock washer and it will seal. Ours has been set up this way for over 15 years.

PointTaken
10-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Stay with brass as Sodar said. You shouldn't be tighening them that much anyway. They don't need to be overly tight not to leak.

88 PS190
10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Do whatever you want. But just be aware of it,

#1 knows that when properly tightened you won't damage the pump housing regardless of the material the screws are made of.

I just want to make sure that you don't have a 3/8" ratchet handle in an allen socket on your new stainless bolts and end up with threads in your lap instead of in the housing.

I am sort of a goon half the time. Sometimes I have great finesse others... Kerplow.

TMCNo1
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Do whatever you want. But just be aware of it,

#1 knows that when properly tightened you won't damage the pump housing regardless of the material the screws are made of.

I just want to make sure that you don't have a 3/8" ratchet handle in an allen socket on your new stainless bolts and end up with threads in your lap instead of in the housing.

I am sort of a goon half the time. Sometimes I have great finesse others... Kerplow.

I just use the plain old L shaped allen wrench for that very reason and just tighten lightly by hand! Plus, it's simpler using the allen wrench rather than a screwdriver or even a ratchet and the pylon interferring. on a DD in some cases.

FrankSchwab
10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Now that I've twisted one of the suckers off, No1's idea is great, because I'll never tighten them hard again.

Without that experience, well, I'm not sure I'd be so confident.

/frank

PointTaken
10-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Now that I've twisted one of the suckers off, No1's idea is great, because I'll never tighten them hard again.

Without that experience, well, I'm not sure I'd be so confident.

/frank

If you've twisted one of them off, you are applying to much torque. I've changed mine every year for 17 years and am still using the original brass screws. Just lightly tighten them and you should have no problem.