PDA

View Full Version : Ride finless!

MCDriven
10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I have resisted recommendations to take the center fins off. I ride a Hyperlite B Side which had a very low profile, but pretty long fin. I figured it couldn't make much difference so I left them on in an abundance of caution (which is usually not my nature). Took off rear fin for the first time this weekend and MAN what a difference! Greatly increased my pop. Unfortunately this was my last run of the season - I am ticked I wasted the summer riding with fins. They are both coming off for next year.

No difference when edging and big plus on pop. Less stable if you land flat on your board, but you're not supposed to do that anyway. If you land on your edge, you're fine. Obviously better for surface tricks.

I was a doubter but now believe!

Jerseydave
10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I ride my Watson without center fins too. Seems everyone in our group of riders are riding finless. I like the ease of surface turns, plus they say it teaches you better edging technique.

wakeX2wake
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
haha i took em off my ibex and that thing was loose but rideable... good fun w/o fins... if you have any kind of groove in the bottom of your board (which i really don't)... you can usually yank fins especially if its a continuous

ShamrockIV
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
can i send u the medical bill when i take mine off wake2wake?

MCDriven
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
NJ: I had heard/read that removing the fins allows the board to "release from the wake easier" but I think it may be more that it really forces you to edge with the actual edge of the board. Whatever it is, I sure noticed a big difference and suggest folks give it a try (although I'm not willing to accept medical bills Shamrock).

KnoxX2
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM
can i send u the medical bill when i take mine off wake2wake?

I didn't think you even rode a wakeboard anymore!:rolleyes:

KHall
10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Finless for most boards. Some say the fins are actually more dangerous in wipeouts. Either way the center fin doesn't help much on edge,which is where we should be.

uawaterskier
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
fins????what are fins? TRICK SKIS dont have fins