PDA

View Full Version : Raw water screen/filter?

mrprostar
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I was doing my winterization this weekend and noticed a few things that I may need to remedy. First, there is no screen or any kind of filter anywhere in the raw water line. The transmission cooler would catch anything big but there was nothing else in line. Should I install a generic inline filter? Second, I couldn't get the impeller out to save my life. I bent up several paint can openers but I will try the two needle nose trick. Hopefully that and soapy water will work. Finally when trying to get the cover tight without the platform on I broke off one of the speedometer pickups (stupid move). I saw skidim.com has one cheap but how do you install it? It looks like a threaded pin? For a 96 Prostar do I have the new style of the old style requring modification for the new one?

peason
10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
If you want to install a water filter - Skidim has them as well. I have been considering this as well, but have not had a lot of problems with debris. I check my transmission cooler periodically during the season.

coz
10-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I was doing my winterization this weekend and noticed a few things that I may need to remedy. First, there is no screen or any kind of filter anywhere in the raw water line. The transmission cooler would catch anything big but there was nothing else in line. Should I install a generic inline filter? Second, I couldn't get the impeller out to save my life. I bent up several paint can openers but I will try the two needle nose trick. Hopefully that and soapy water will work. Finally when trying to get the cover tight without the platform on I broke off one of the speedometer pickups (stupid move). I saw skidim.com has one cheap but how do you install it? It looks like a threaded pin? For a 96 Prostar do I have the new style of the old style requring modification for the new one?

Speedo pick up http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

http://www.skidim.com/images/newpitot.jpg

They don't make the old ones anymore so you have to bore the holes a little bigger, simple
install.

The soapy water trick works very well

TMCNo1
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
There normally is no screen in or near the transmission cooler to catch debris, but debris can block the tubes on the inlet side of the transmission cooler just inside the tube. Check with Skidim and see if this will work to catch debris, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18016

Try spraying the impeller, impeller/hub and inside the housing with WD40/silicone/CRC556, spin the engine over a couple times and see if it won't come out easier.

bigmac
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I was doing my winterization this weekend and noticed a few things that I may need to remedy. First, there is no screen or any kind of filter anywhere in the raw water line. The transmission cooler would catch anything big but there was nothing else in line. Should I install a generic inline filter? Second, I couldn't get the impeller out to save my life. I bent up several paint can openers but I will try the two needle nose trick. Hopefully that and soapy water will work. Finally when trying to get the cover tight without the platform on I broke off one of the speedometer pickups (stupid move). I saw skidim.com has one cheap but how do you install it? It looks like a threaded pin? For a 96 Prostar do I have the new style of the old style requring modification for the new one?Try bumping the starter. That often will help to shake a stuck impeller loose. IMHO, the best investment for non-V drives is an impeller puller. When you put the new impeller on, consider using a little NevRSeeze or maybe some marine-grade grease on the shaft.

As to inline water filters, I guess my thought would be that anything smaller than what the transmission cooler would stop is likely too small to get hung up and cause problems anywhere else in the cooling system. However, there are several types of inline strainers. I know EastTexasSkier had one on a previous boat. Pretty easy install, I bet.

flipper
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
For the impeller, Sometimes I have to soap it up, pull the coil wire, and turn the motor over to make sure it's not going to start. Then, grab the impeller with a pair of needle nose, and bump the motor while pulling. It should come out pretty easy then.

Skipper
10-06-2008, 12:20 PM
For the impeller just pour in some dish soap, remove the kill switch, and turn the motor over a few cranks. If the impeller doesn't slip right out, then you should be able to pull it with needle nose pliars.

I recommend the water strainer before the transmission cooler. Didn't have one this year at Lake Powell and I sucked up some debris that clogged my transmission cooler. Caused the engine to over heat. With the strainer a clog that serious is less likely and you can inspect it at a glance.

mark g
10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Been running without strainer for years with no problem, last year picked up a load of debris nearly cooked the engine, this year seemed to be a common problem with the transmission filter picking up loads of weed , we have been suffering with a weed problem this year, just in the process of instaling weed filter (link below) its easier to check the bowl every so often its just a case of lifting the engine hood instead of stripping the hoses just to check it.
If you run in water with debris in it i would recomend fitting one
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=39433F

jimmer2880
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
If you still can't get your impeller out, try screwing a wood-screw into the hub portion (rubber) of your impeller. Then, you can grab the screw head with pliers. I've done this many times. Works like a champ.