PDA

View Full Version : Winterize question..

treptowr
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I was trying to drain all the water out of my engine. I have a 310 Predator engine in my 02 X-star. I drained the block through the drains on both side, and disconnected the quick connect of the manifold hoses. What about the transmission? There is an in and out line going to the top of my transmission from the main raw water intake. I'm assuming this is how the transmission gets water cooled? Is there a drain on the transmission somewhere to get the water out? Is there water trapped in my transmission that I have to worry about freezing up? Last year I ran antifreeze through my engine. I wasn't going to do it this year because neither of the local marinas run antifreeze through the engines here in Wisconsin. They both say it isn't necessary. It seems like the forums aren't in agreement either.

TMCNo1
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
The transmission is cooled by the transmission running fluid thru the transmission cooler, not water thru the transmission. The transmission cooler and it's lines have transmission fluid in them, not water. Just be sure the line from the raw water thru hull pickup to the transmission cooler, the transmission cooler and the line from the transmission cooler to the raw water pump is also empty of all water.

bigmac
10-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I was trying to drain all the water out of my engine. I have a 310 Predator engine in my 02 X-star. I drained the block through the drains on both side, and disconnected the quick connect of the manifold hoses. What about the transmission? There is an in and out line going to the top of my transmission from the main raw water intake. I'm assuming this is how the transmission gets water cooled? Is there a drain on the transmission somewhere to get the water out? Is there water trapped in my transmission that I have to worry about freezing up? Last year I ran antifreeze through my engine. I wasn't going to do it this year because neither of the local marinas run antifreeze through the engines here in Wisconsin. They both say it isn't necessary. It seems like the forums aren't in agreement either.
There is no water running through the transmission. The lines you see going to your transmission cooler are full of oil on its way to and from it.

I agree, the need for antifreeze in winterizing is debatable. Either way is fine IMHO.

treptowr
10-06-2008, 11:54 AM
OK, that makes sense. So looking at the lines, the transmission cooler is the black cylinder shaped metal thing in the raw water intake hose shortly after the hose leaves the fresh water pump and starts heading up to the engine. would simply disconnecting the hose at the bottom of the transmission cooler allow all the water to drain by gravity out of the cooler?

bigmac
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
OK, that makes sense. So looking at the lines, the transmission cooler is the black cylinder shaped metal thing in the raw water intake hose shortly after the hose leaves the fresh water pump and starts heading up to the engine. would simply disconnecting the hose at the bottom of the transmission cooler allow all the water to drain by gravity out of the cooler?

Yes, it would, but you'd still could have water in the hose. IMHO the better option is to pull that output hose from the raw water pump. That would drain the cooler and the hose. I'd just leave the hose off for the winter if you're not going to antifreeze it. Back when I just drained, I also pulled the raw water intake hose from the raw water pump too.

If you have a heater and/or shower...don't forget to address them. You'd have to actually blow air through the heater lines to clear the heater core of water. I used to use an RV water system hand pump to pump antifreeze through the heater core.

east tx skier
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Disconnect both raw water hoses from either side of the transmission cooler (not the lines to the transmission). Good time to check the screen in the cooler for debris as well.

ORX-1
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Don't do anything and ride all year!

Skipper
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Don't do anything and ride all year!

In Wisconsin. Yah right.

richieboy
10-06-2008, 09:52 PM
My buddy helped me winterrize for the first time this year and he said to check the screen on the transmission cooler. When we did it was full of rubber pieces, He said the impeller must be shot, but when we took the impeller out, it was like new. The previous owner told me he replace the impeller . I guess he didn't know about the screen.

treptowr
10-07-2008, 02:25 PM
East TX Skier , good call on checking the screen on the Tranny cooler. It had quite a bit of leaves/grass in it.

So, on another forum I was told to make sure to drain the water out of my v-drive unit too? Can someone explain that to me in more detail?

mitch
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Disconnect both raw water hoses from either side of the transmission cooler (not the lines to the transmission). Good time to check the screen in the cooler for debris as well.
I was just going to add this. I got a ton of pine needles out of mine last night. I'm convinced most of the needles are picked up in fall. I pull the intake hose too (coming from the lake) and blow thru this. I got a pint or so of water out of it.

bigmac
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
East TX Skier , good call on checking the screen on the Tranny cooler. It had quite a bit of leaves/grass in it.

So, on another forum I was told to make sure to drain the water out of my v-drive unit too? Can someone explain that to me in more detail?

The common thinking on current V-drives is that they still use an inline transmission connected to a v-drive unit (usually a Walther's V-drive). They don't...or at least your boat doesn't. You have a Hurth ZF-63IV 1.5:1 reduction V-drive transmission, and that's all you have, all one unit. There is no way to drain water from it, let alone the fact that there's no need. It IS a good idea to change the transmission oil every season, and that's done by suctioning the oil that's in there (4.2 liters). Your transmission can use either ATF or 15W40 but probably best you replace it with what's in there (ATF is red).

OhioX14
10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
IMHO, $20 worth of RV antifreeze is cheap insurance.

88 PS190
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
IMHO, $20 worth of RV antifreeze is cheap insurance.

agreed though I only use about 10$ worth, or whatever a few gallons cost.

The reason I like to use it is that even if I pull out the petcocks completely, and pull off all hoses, and the manifold plugs in the rear you can stick a finger in there and its wet little puddles of water that are near impossible to drain completely. So after all the water drains that will, I take the hoses and pour water in the top to fill everything, then from the hull side of the intake hose I cram a funnel into the hose and pour the remaining pink in, have my brother start it, i have the spark arrestor off and when the level gets down through the trans cooler I fog the engine till it shuts off. And done.

Well then the cleaning begins atleast.

treptowr
10-08-2008, 01:08 PM
bigmac,
I did change the transmission fluid. I only managed about 70 hours on my boat since my last tranny fluid change. But book calls for annual change or every 100 hours. Spent some time on other boats this summer. Anyway, I did use a suction pump to get out all the 15w40 oil in the transmission. The stuff looks amazingly clean. Almost like new. Thanks guys.

Oh, and thanks for confirming my suspicions that I don't have a V-drive unit!