PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Issue, Maristar 215 SS

Boobaychap
10-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a unique overheat problem with my '07 215 Saltwater Series (5.7L Crusader, closed cooling).

After 50 hours of trouble-free operation, the boat has begun to overheat, but only in idle.

With the boat in gear, even idle speed, eng temp will hold at 160 deg, optimum temp. But as soon as the boat is taken out of gear, engine temp rapidly and continuously rises until the overtemp warning buzzer sounds. (Not a gauge problem, coolant bubbles out of the coolant reservoir.)

The dealer has been unable to diagnose the problem. My guess was the raw water pump was inop but the dealer says it checked out ok. The coolant type and level are correct and the heat exchanger tubes are unobstructed.

The dealer's current theory, based on telecons w/ Crusader's tech support team, is that the overheat is caused by air pockets forming in the cooling system. The system has been "burped" several times but the problem persists.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Boo Bay

JimN
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Did anyone check the oil cooler? Did they check the hose clamps to make sure they aren't loose enough to suck air?

Boobaychap
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Good thoughts. If the factory rep is right and the overheat is \caused by air pockets forming in the cooling system, the air has to be entering the system somehow. Maybe hose clamps are the source.

Thanks,
Boo Bay

JimN
10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Factory rep or dealer's service tech? The rep in their technical department?

Who have you talked with about this, and has the dealer contacted MC or Indmar when they couldn't find the source of the trouble? Get names, in writing and any written communication between the dealership anda MC or Indmar.

Air won't usually get into a closed cooling system if it was "burped" correctly. If it does, chances are that a gasket has gone bad or there's a leak that allows coolant to escape and when the motor cools, the coolant's volume decreases, sucking air in.

Do you ever smell or see coolant on the motor, in the bilge or in the water behind the boat? If possible, go to the exhaust flaps and take a whiff- if it smells of coolant, it could be a head or intake manifold gasket.

Boobaychap
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Q: Factory rep or dealer's service tech?
A: Factory rep (Crusader)

Q: Who have you talked with about this
A: Besides the dealer, I spoke w/ Crusader Captain's Club Concierge, Greg Messenger and e-mailed MC

Q: has the dealer contacted MC or Indmar when they couldn't find the source of the trouble? Get names, in writing and any written communication between the dealership anda MC or Indmar.
A: Yes, dealer is talking with Crusader Warranty Svc Mgr. Not sure how forthcoming dealer will be in providing written comms but good thought.

Q: Air won't usually get into a closed cooling system if it was "burped" correctly. If it does, chances are that a gasket has gone bad or there's a leak that allows coolant to escape and when the motor cools, the coolant's volume decreases, sucking air in. Do you ever smell or see coolant on the motor, in the bilge or in the water behind the boat? If possible, go to the exhaust flaps and take a whiff- if it smells of coolant, it could be a head or intake manifold gasket.
A: The problem is recent (and it's mostly been in the shop since its occurance) so I don't have a lot of anecdotal evidence but I did note coolant in the bilge on one occassion. However, the only place I have seen coolant leaking was from the pressure cap on the coolant resevoir. Dealer confirms there appears to be no other source of coolant escaping the closed system. Dealer ops checked the pressure cap and it is within spec. Problem occurs when motor is hot but not in gear.

Great thoughts. Pls keep 'em coming.

Regards,
Boo Bay

ElGouna
10-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi,
We are operating two 2008 X2's, with MCX 350 Saltwater Series engines for our wakeboard school and we are facing the same problems.
For the first boat we have changed the exhaust manifolds, heat exchanger and the head gasket, this solved the problem although we never found out where the problem came from.
Now we have our other boat giving us the same problems but not overheating as we are keeping the overflow tank from the heat exchanger full with coolant after every 1/2 hour of driving. We have now found out that one of the exhaust manifolds was leaking coolant in cylinder #8. We have changed the exhaust manifold and the old manifold showed indeed water seeping out when we tested it with water.
What is happening now though is that when we are driving and revving up to 4000 rpm the engine burps all the coolant out. This results in an empty overflow that might cause overheating problems. We are continuing our quest for finding the problem and will keep you up to date.

Wouter

orangefooter
11-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Cooling problems are not solved yet. The exhaust manifold leaked water in cilinder nr. 8 this caused problems. When we started the engine their was water in the cilinder and this blew out the cilinderhead gasket. When I took of the cilinder head the exhaust valve was completely rusted. When I got it back in shape and had the engine back together problems of pooring water out of the expansion bucket where gone. only problem was thet is was still using cooling liquid! Not so much as it was using before but still like one liter per hour.
I now understood that Indmar produces a series of engine with factory problems (leaking). I am waiting now for the new manifold so we can change the other side to. I will keep you informed about this issue.

Boobaychap
11-18-2008, 10:11 PM
My problem appears to be soved but getting to this point was painful.

My dealer basically threw up his hands and called the manufacturer (Crusader). He asked the factory rep where he should tow the boat for warranty service because he was giving up. The factory rep talked him off the ledge and told him he still believed the overheating system to be the result of air in the system and suggested the dealer "burp" the system again.

That solved the problem and the engine has been trouble free for the last 10 hours. I was amazed that such a simple procedure solved the problem but it did.

I suspect the dealer may not have properly "burped" the system on his first attempt.

Regards
Boo Bay