PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Help

Rlbol
10-04-2008, 06:02 PM
First off I would like to say great website!! Lots of information! So I am trying to find an older boat for my family and I to ski, tube and just general boating with. I currently have a ranger bass boat and my two kids went tubing the other day for the first tube and loved it as did my wife. Unfortunately the ranger is just really not suited for that type of boating. So I am looking for an older ski boat. It needs to have a fair amount of seating, especially the rear seating. My kids are pretty young so I dont see them getting in to much other then maybe knee boards and pair skis and tubes at this point so I am not majorlly concerned about the wake and type of boat. I have spent a lot of tie in both the prostars and nautiques and dont really have a preference. My ideal boat would be an older one at a fair price that can work on and restore, I enjoy that. So my question is what should I look for??

I have found an 88 tristar that needs work by me, as well as a couple late 80's prostars.
What is the differences? the prostars have the 351 engine but the tristar says it has a 454? I haven't gotten to look at it yet but haven't seen one with that engine before?
The other option is the CC 2001 which there a few around me as well but are more expensive it appears?

So I would appreciate everyones options on what the better boat would be for my situation.
thanks

Maristar210
10-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Just about any boat would be light years better than the bass boat. You didn't mention a budget but an old Ski Nautique or Stars and stripes would be a budget but still good purchase while an older 205V might be worth looking into as well. Another possibility would be a Maristar as they have been proven to be great family boats.

Here's mine... Good Luckhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/mc-1.jpg

JohnE
10-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I had an '88 tristar. Most of the tristars were open bows, so that is a plus for your situation. The standard engine for prostars and tristars in the late 80's early 90's were the ford 351. But the 454 was an option for tristars (not sure about prostars.) and there was a barefoot version of the tristar that had the 454. There are a lot of late 80's early 90's MC's that are very reasonably priced and will need little restoration. MC has not used wooden stringers since '83, so if you find a boat that looks good, it probably is. Good luck.

Cloaked
10-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I know of a 1985 Mastercraft. Excellent condition, turnkey ready for water or winterizing. Located in the southeast. I can ask the guy about his asking price. I suspect mid-7s. It's a nice boat. I have seen it and skied it. PM me if you have a notion.

erkoehler
10-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a 1984 S&S....MINT condition, ready for the water! GREAT PRICE!!!!!

eric@chicagomastercraft.com

cbryan70
10-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Erk.....you slipping he said fair price and wants to restore. How does a boat in MINT condition fit that profile? HAHAHAHA

justinglow
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a 1984 S&S....MINT condition, ready for the water! GREAT PRICE!!!!!

eric@chicagomastercraft.com

Let's see some pics of it Erk!

Rlbol
10-04-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks for the replies.
So what is the differences in the tristar barefoot boat and the regular tristar with a 454? Is there a reason I would not want that engine? This particular boat is a closed bow. I have tried searching on here as well as goggle to find out the differences in the prostar and the tristar???
I dont really have a budget. Most of what i have been looking at are 2- 3k and I figured i would spend another 2-3k in updating and repairs. Is there better years?

Also does any one now of posts or websites that would show things to look for in a used boat? Particularly MC ski boats?

Rlbol
10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Just about any boat would be light years better than the bass boat. You didn't mention a budget but an old Ski Nautique or Stars and stripes would be a budget but still good purchase while an older 205V might be worth looking into as well. Another possibility would be a Maristar as they have been proven to be great family boats.

Here's mine... Good Luckhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/mc-1.jpg

That is a sharp looking boat!

Rlbol
10-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Any one have much experience with the maristar 24 ft ? Found one that may be a nice project. It is an 91 with the 454? Is it way to big to be a ski boat?? I havent seen it yet other then pictures.

endl
10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
There are different sizes of Maristars. Deceide what size of boat you want and go from there. Size and price will yield what models you need to be looking at 19,20,21,22, and up.... Direct Drive or V-Drive. 454 would be a nice option on a older boat. Look at as many pictures and models and go from there.

Rlbol
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I believe the model is an sc 240?

FrankSchwab
10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd suggest taking a ride in various MC's to see what you might like...

One problem with early Mastercrafts (not sure if the TriStar falls in this camp, never been in one) is that they have a very harsh ride. If you're riding in "textured" water, it can be a very tiring experience. The kids won't care, but you and missus might.

The SC240 is a big boat. I've heard good things over the years here from people who've had them (a search for "240sc" turns up a number of threads). You might want to PM some of the people who've posted to get in-depth answers.

The 90-97 Maristar 210/225 and the later ones (like mine) are excellent family boats, but are a bit more expensive.

/frank