PDA

View Full Version : Any Ski Tow/Grab Bar Install Lessons Learned??

macattack
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm about to tackle the install of a MC Ski Tow/Grab Bar. Looking for any lessons learned and any info on tow weight limitations. Any thoughts?? tks, mac

macattack
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Finally made time to install the ski tow/grab bar on my 2005 MC PS197. Attached file shows the step-by-step process with pics. Many thanks to Mod 1 for helping me convert my word doc into a pdf file and to dsoby and bmargo for some insight on the project.

Only question remaining are there any "official" weight restrictions from MC when using the tow bar? Does anybody have any paperwork that came with their boat that had this option? Jim@BAWS??? tks, mac

2008 part #s from our local MC dealer:

550415 Ski Tow w/backing
520485 Rubrail End Cap
520486 Rubrail End Cover

Tap
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a similar boat (#50) but was curious as to why you needed the Ski tow/ Grab bar? Is this something that I should look into?
My first guess is that this would allow you to ski someone & have people sitting on the rear bench?

macattack
12-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Tap: Two reasons:
1. Something to "grab on to" when getting on/off the ski platform
2. Would like to put the back seat in while pulling the grand kids tubing and skiing and have more room for family members

JohnnyB
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
This is on my to-do list for the same reasons as you state....except kids, not grandkids

Jim@BAWS
01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Finally made time to install the ski tow/grab bar on my 2005 MC PS197. Attached file shows the step-by-step process with pics. Many thanks to Mod 1 for helping me convert my word doc into a pdf file and to dsoby and bmargo for some insight on the project.

Only question remaining are there any "official" weight restrictions from MC when using the tow bar? Does anybody have any paperwork that came with their boat that had this option? Jim@BAWS??? tks, mac

Tried to open the file is said it was corrupt

Anyway...single skier, or whatever I would say upto 500LBS
easy install through bolted through the removed rubrail on the stern

not made to pull hard shortline slalom or multiple tubes

Jim@BAWS

macattack
01-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Jim: tks for weight restriction info!

I reinforced the composite strip behind the rub rail with an aluminum strip and bolted the grab rail through both; pics are included in my attached file. I checked the link again and it worked fine from here, so I am not sure why you can not open? tks again for the info, mac

JohnnyB
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
A few observations:

1) Is this the factory location - I assume it is since the kit included the rub-rail caps.
2) I am surprised that there wasn't a mounting plate already glassed into the hull. Every other accessory I've mounted seems to have one??

Nice work!!!

macattack
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
JohnnyB:

1. Yes, this is the factory location
2. Agree; I was also hoping there would already be a mounting plate located there; this was probably the most challenging piece of the installation due to the narrow/hard to get to area behind the rub rail; I also had to use a Dremmel to sand down a "fiberglass bubble" that was protruding/preventing the support bracket from laying flat on the composite strip that anchored the rub rail. Adding the aluminum support bracket is optional; however, it was a suggestion from my local MC dealer. Made sense to me, so I added it.

tks, mac

yankee
05-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the great detail. I'm getting ready to attack this exact project this weekend and was looking for tips. This is absolutely perfect!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Great job Mac. That is on my To Do list.

macattack
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Yankee: you are more than welcome; that's the greatest part about this board...all the detailed explanations/pics of everyone's projects...glad this one helped! mac

bxroads
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I just ordered a transom grab rail / ski tow ring combo that was optional from factory. I will install it myself. If you have this on your boat could you please take a few detail pictures so that I can be sure that mine is properly mounted. I will greatly appreciate it.

They can be sent via email to clints@lbaproperties.com. If you send them please also post that you have done so in this thread. My junk filters are really good at filtering good emails and not filtering spam.

Thanks!

Clint

Sodar
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Great how to thread here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26812

bxroads
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks! And I called myself doing a search.......

bxroads
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Add one more to the weekend warrior list. Awesome thread. Thanks macattack!

bxroads
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I just read through Mac's instructions. Wow!

Mac, where do we send donations?:D

ddadamson1
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Ready to tackle this not too on '06 PS 197. Instructions are great. What about removing the panel in ski locker that hangs vertically off the transom? How does this attach, remove? Thanks.

bxroads
07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
The panel has a few screws in it that you have to find buried in the carpet.

The instructions were great. The only thing I did different was drill a size larger holes in the boat. The bolts on the grab rail are not straight and I couldn't get mine in until I drilled them out larger.

Which reminds me of one more thing. To avoid chipping the gel coat, first put the drill in reverse and make a divot through the gelcoat. This keeps it from chipping.

ddadamson1
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks bxroads. Looked like a straight-forward DIY. Couldn't see those screw heads - must be those middle-aged eyes. Nah...