PDA

View Full Version : Boat wont start after alternator problem...

TRISTARX
10-04-2008, 11:49 AM
My 1987 tristar that ran fine all year until two weeks ago. It appears that the alternator went dead because the battery slowly lost juice until I could no longer start it. I am assuming that is the alternator but could be wrong. I took the battery out and charged it fully. I thought if I had a full battery the boat would at least start so I could get it to the ramp to pull it out for the winter. Once I put the new battery in the boat would not turn over at all. When I turn the ignition all I would hear is one click toward the back by the electrical board. I had a similliar problem a few years back and just pushed the button in on the electrical board and then it was fine. I have tried that and it still does not turn over. Is there another problem associated with the alternator going out like the coil or the starter. Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this thing started so I can winterize it.

Bill

JLeuck64
10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like you killed the battery, if after charging it won't even turn over the engine.

Borrow a good battery out of your truck to get the boat winterized...

Gamble
10-04-2008, 04:41 PM
yep, the battery is toast would be my guess.........a good one should get it cranked.

TRISTARX
10-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I put the battery on a trickle charger for a week on 2amps. I then put it on my neighbors charger which reads what percentage it is charged and it said 100%. It did appear to me to be the battery as well but I thought since I charged it it would be fine. Just bought the battery at the beginning of the year and had no issues until the alternator went out. I guess I will buy a new battery and give it a shot.

Bill

Gamble
10-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Bill, take the battery to your local auto parts store and have them load test it. Do this on a full charge. If it passes the load test, the battery is good. Get this done and we'll go from there.

JimN
10-04-2008, 06:57 PM
An alternator won't generally go bad just because a battery goes dead, but a battery can discharge because of a bad bridge rectifier in an alternator. If you go to have the battery tested, take teh alternator with you. If you really want to cover a lot of bases, take the starter, too. If hte parts store can't test starters and alternators, take it to a place that rebuilds them- they can test all three.