PDA

View Full Version : Skiing off a 1995 Maristar 200

peningo
10-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I recently posted a similar thread asking about the X-1 and X-2 wake. I'm going to check out a 1995 Maristar 200. It's a V-Drive which is what I'm looking for. My concern is how's the wake at 30 mph and up for Slalom. Has anyone Slalom Skied off of a Maristar 200 from the mid 1990s?

Also, does anyone know what hull is on the Maristar 200? I know that for example the older x-2 hulls is todays x-1 and I think the older X-2 is the same as the 205V hull.

Any help would be great.

Footin
10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I do not know first hand, but I have heard and read that the wake behind the 200 VRS is VERY good. Before I bought my 205 I was going to look for a 200 VRS for family boating and barefooting.

corey
10-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Our service manager had one up until this year and he skied it frequently. It's a great boat.

peningo
10-05-2008, 09:01 AM
I just saw the 1995 Maristar 200. I loved boat and the layout, however the particular boat I saw was not taken care in last few years and is in a state of disrepair. I'm not looking for a project. In terms of the design short comings I noticed on this boat a couple of issue. The swim platform that is integrated into the hull is too small......what was Mastercraft thinking???? The swim platform needs to be at least another foot longer. Also, the owner found out that the hull was leaking through the rub rail. This boat was kept in the water for a 2 years. The design of the Rub Rail on this boat bends down towards the water line as it approaches the stern. Part of the Rub Rail sits under the water line and this is where the boat leaked. This was corrected by the owner, but what a poor design by Mastercraft. I'm not sure if the leak was through a riveted holes or if the seam of the Hull and Deck separated.

Anyway, with the short comings in design, I still liked the boat and would consider a Maristar 200 as a possibility. I would prefer to get one that has been treated with TLC. The one I saw was an over priced rat.....

JohnE
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Why don't you just look for a 205V or the equivalent?

YooperScott
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I've skied a '95 Maristar 200VRS lots. The wake is pretty good, certainly no Bayliner, but it in no way compares to my '95 190. There's a tradeoff plain and simple. The seating is WAY better and the rough water ride is also WAY better than my 190, but for skiing the 190 is hands down better from the instant the throttle gets applied (pull, tracking, wake, etc). In my case the Maristar is the regular 275 hp TBI engine and the 190 is an LT1 along with the fact that the Maristar is a heavier boat.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

steverp
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I currently own a 1995 Maristar VRS 200 and it is a great all-around boat. I bought it 2 years ago and have enjoyed it. It's a great family boat that performs very well. Not too bad on gas either. It may be going on the market. Let me know if you have any interest. I am just north of Boston.

bturner2
10-07-2008, 07:03 AM
My last boat was a 95 200 VRS. We practically raised our two daughters on this boat. It was a great family boat, a very good rec skier, great wakeboard boat and with a 500 lb sac in one of the lockers a really good surf boat. I used the boat primarily on inland lakes but took it out on Lake Erie from time to time and it handled the bigger water very well. If you decide to put a tower on it go with the Zero Flex from New Dimension (http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html). I had an Atlantic Tower which worked well and was strong but the New Dimension I saw on another 200 VRS looked and fit much better.

bec1971
10-08-2008, 08:02 AM
My last boat was a 1994 225 VRS Maristar. The 225 has the larger swim platform. I liked the extra 2 feet in length also.