PDA

View Full Version : Free Reliable Hub Upgrade

macattack
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Ref a 2005 MC PS197 and trailer. I sent an email to http://www.reliabletool.com/ to ask what weight oil to use in the hubs since the MC Trailer manual states 80/90W and the plastic Reliable hub caps were stamped with 50W weight.

Their email response follows: "Here's the short of the long story....I'd like to go ahead and swap you out caps. Since we started the oil bath system we have redesigned to a better style of cap. It is made from aluminum with a high temperature sight glass. Basically, it is more durable and helps prevent any leaks. Email your address and I'll ship you a couple caps. Let me know if the trailer is tandem or single axle.

On the oil, it makes no difference which you use. Our testing determined either was suitable with no temperature difference. Thanks...Clay"

Four days later I have new aluminum hubs; can't beat that for customer service!

The only challenge I found was how to torque the hub caps 25-30 ft lbs w/o buying a $35 2 7/8" socket. So I used a strap wrench and hand tighten. Maybe somebody knows a better way? I also used a 1x2 to brace the hub so the rotor would not turn while tightening the cap. Hope the attached pics turn out; my first attempt at this type of email!

Bottom line, whoever has the all plastic Reliable trailer hub caps can get the aluminum upgrade for free to include shipping. Hope this helps...mac

Jim@BAWS
10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
GREAT PHOTOS and example

Thanks for posting...looks great

Jim@BAWS

Sodar
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Thats damn fine customer service! You rarely get someone to offer a replacement without asking.

endl
10-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Heck I paid for mine last month.............All 4 of them.

brucemac
10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
hey, is it possible to buy replacement outer tapered chrome covers? and what do those new caps cost? mine are looking a little weathered.

Roonie's
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I just paid for my aluminum caps too last month and switched them out. I used the biggest screwdriver I could find and lightly tapped it in the grooves to get the hub tight. Not the best way for sure but it gets the job done. Newer boats come with the aluminum however single axles don't like mine.

vogelm1
10-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I found them to be excellent to deal with too. I was "nervous" about the plastic hubs since there were so many stories on here of folks having them melt down or crack - after expressing my concern they said they'd go ahead and warranty them. Had new aluminum ones (with new 0-rings too) in the mail a couple days later!! No charge.

Regarding the torque on the caps...I just snugged mine down good with a strap wrench - just tight enough that they weren't coming off by themselves.

stennes
06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Their web site is down or gone, have they gone out of business???

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Does anyone have the part # for the new metal design?

Thrall
10-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Claaed Reliable last summer (09) and they wouldn't warranty/replace the plastic caps anymore. Bullchit design to begin with, plastic caps....pffffft!
Don't have the part #'s, but my local dealer had them in stock.

macattack
10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Does anyone have the part # for the new metal design?

I would send an email to Clay Weber at Reliable (clay@reliabletool.com) and see what he can do for you. I received the free aluminum ones in Sep 09 for my 2005 PS 197 single axle trailer. The part # on invoice was OBC-2441AL...good luck, mac

Maple Leaf
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
For those of us north of the border who wish to avoid getting mugged by UPS/Fedex border fees, I just ordered mine from Standard Axle in Woodstock ON (519) 537-5490. $17 a piece.

Thrall
09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I would send an email to Clay Weber at Reliable (clay@reliabletool.com) and see what he can do for you. I received the free aluminum ones in Sep 09 for my 2005 PS 197 single axle trailer. The part # on invoice was OBC-2441AL...good luck, mac

That's crap! (for me, not you)
I was very nice about it when I called and they (Relaible) wouldn't barely give me the time of day, muchless upgraded caps!:mad:

rgardjr1
09-15-2011, 02:28 PM
That's crap! (for me, not you)
I was very nice about it when I called and they (Relaible) wouldn't barely give me the time of day, muchless upgraded caps!:mad:

Pretty much got the same treatment a couple of summers ago. They did refer me to EZ Loader Trailers here in Spokane and I picked up 4 of the new caps, but have only replaced the one that had cracked so far.