PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Prostar 197 won't start

Bob B
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a 2003 Prostar 197.
I tried to start it today and it would not start (Been setting for about one month)
No blower, no clicks, nothing. I connected a charger across the battery in the boat,
The charger showed “no connection”.
Pulled the battery out of the boat and it showed 12+ volts. Charged the battery
and put it back if the boat. I connected the large cables and tried to start the boat.
The started engaged and the blower turned on when the key is on.
I connected the small connectors with the thumbs screws and now same as before.
Nothing. I pulled the small cables again and nothing again.
Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help.
Bob B

jkski
10-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Not sure if this would do it or not but check to make sure that your shift lever is in neutral. It could be slightly forward or back which may cause it not to even turn over.

If it is in neutral, then be certain that you are connecting the cables properly (a lot of times when you are looking at the battery in a dark compartment, it's pretty easy to cross things up.

Last thought. It very well could be that you have a bad cell in your battery. You may want to take it to a local auto parts store and have it tested.

Sodar
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Check the kill switch.

jkski
10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Check the kill switch.

The boat "should" still turn over/crank if the kill switch lanyard is removed or not functioning properly, but it will not actually start.

Sodar
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I believe that to be false. My '96 did NOT turn over if the kill switch is removed... not sure about the new boat, as I have not tried.

mbpd312
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
my 97 ps190 does turn over without kill switch in place. it will crank, but not fire up.

PointTaken
10-03-2008, 04:53 PM
91 PS turns over without the kill switch, but won't start.

alletric
10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Still can be the battery. You can get a dead battery to show 12 volts but does not have the amps to run something. You charged it and it held enough to run the blower but when you went to crank it it depleted all that it stored in it. Take the battery to have it check when a load is put on it.

Chicago190
10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I believe that to be false. My '96 did NOT turn over if the kill switch is removed... not sure about the new boat, as I have not tried.

My 96 cranks over with the kill switch removed.

Sodar
10-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I am pretty sude mine did not turn over with the kill switch off... I remember ripping the starter off to have it tested, buying a new battery and then figured out the kill switch was not on.... :mad::o:mad:

trickskier
10-03-2008, 05:35 PM

My engine will turn over, but will not start with the kill switch removed.

JimN
10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Sodar- if you bought the boat used, it may have been rewired to do that. From the factory, the kill switch is on the purple wire, which is ignition. I could see this happening if the ignition switch was rigged but normally, it's only supposed to kill the ignition.

D3skier
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I had the same issue on my '03 2 years ago... remove the kill switch and jumper this check your fuses under the dash and also make sure the safety switch on the engine is not popped. 12 volts will run your accessories but won't give the engine enough to start. Hope yours doesn't turn out the way mine did... I had to replace the ECM

bmargol
10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
The engine WILL turn over in boats after 2000 but will not start as I have an 05 & it will turn over but not start with the kill switch off. I agree it is probably the battery , but on the newer boats like mine there is an engine breaker under the dash on the kick panel ( if a lot of vibration happens or whatever) the engine management computer shuts the engine down and you have to reset the breaker to get the engine to re-start or start at all.
I had a prop that threw a blade ( HIT nothing, absolutely) and the engine and boat vibrated and shut down before I could do it. The boat would not start so felt around under the kick panel ( where your feet are) breaker resets are there once the one for the engine management computer is reset all is well.....

shoeman
10-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I had a similar problem with my 1992 PS205. The first problem that I found was a bad ground to the engine. The connection to the engine was tight, but the actual metal-to-metal connection needed some slight sanding.

Ultimately, I traced the problem to a dead cell/short in the battery. I replaced the battery and have not had any electrical problems since.

Bob B
10-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your help.

Bob B