PDA

View Full Version : Spammers???????

TMCNo1
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
What's up with all the spammers in Team Talk Help? In the nearly 3 years I've been on TT, I've never seen it this bad. Must be Global Warning, Solar Sunspots, the Economy and the Political atmosphere, right? Maybe the government will bail Team Talk out!

Maristar210
10-02-2008, 09:33 AM
What's up with all the spammers in Team Talk Help? In the nearly 3 years I've been on TT, I've never seen it this bad. Must be Global Warning, Solar Sunspots, the Economy and the Political atmosphere, right? Maybe the government will bail Team Talk out!

waves....

spammers come in waves.....

just ignore them.. super mod will come in and wash them clean....

D3skier
10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
what's the possibility of setting new accounts to be approved so spammers can't just post things immediately

Maristar210
10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
What's the big deal D3?

Who cares?

Your signature?

Spell check??

D3skier
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
What's the big deal D3?

Who cares?

Your signature?

Spell check??

it's called protection of our site from spam such as what was posted yesterday morning

Monte
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Does this mean I can sell peanuts on TT?:confused::D:cool:
Anybody want to try a peanut?

bigmac
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
what's the possibility of setting new accounts to be approved so spammers can't just post things immediatly

Those settings are already in play here, I have no doubt. Every new user has to be validated. They register, have to type in an optical validation (to eliminate bot registration). Then they are sent an email that they have to respond to (to assure they are using a valid, non-spoofed email address). The admin is notified of users waiting email confirmation, and he has to look at each one. Whether or not they get through depends on how thoroughly the admin (this is not a moderator function) vets their credentials in determining whether or not he approves their registration. There are a number of known spammer email domains out there and these lists are readily available online. Most admins will enter those emails as being automatically blocked, but it's an ever-growing list. New spammer domains pop up and get through. Likewise, IP addresses can be blocked, even ranges of IP addresses, but those also are ever-changing.

It's a lot of work to check out all the new registrants to a site like this one...might include reverse-DNS the IP address, googling the email address or user name, other such maneuvers.

If I had to guess, these spammers that are getting through aren't doing anything different, but for some reason they aren't being denied registration by TTAdmin as they usually are. That could be a number of reasons, but often it's as simple as there being a new Admin, or the current admin being on vaction.

I suspect that the spammers that have gotten though these last couple of days represents only a fraction of the attempted spammer registrations.

Maristar210
10-02-2008, 10:27 AM
it's called protection of our site from spam such as what was posted yesterday morning

Yeah?

Again, who cares !!!

No wonder you lasted four minutes on the dark side

WOW !!!

D3skier
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah?

Again, who cares !!!

No wonder you lasted four minutes on the dark side

WOW !!!

no I left the dark side because I was never on there DUE TO MY FATHER IN LAW PASSING AWAY YOU MORON... but thanks for caring.

Maristar210
10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
no I left the dark side because I was never on there DUE TO MY FATHER IN LAW PASSING AWAY YOU MORON... but thanks for caring.

What?????

Name calling.....

Nice, real nice D3