PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder says "bad"

meittunen
05-03-2005, 01:44 AM
I have a 2004 Mastercraft X-10. The depth finder would occassionaly read bad. I thought it might be because of the dirty water, but now it reads bad all the time. Where is the transducer mounted? Could it be a loose connection? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks.

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 06:49 AM
You didn't mention what speed it was reading bad at. They won't work over ~10 mph.

If that's not it, I would check your ground. I found that to be a problem on mine.

meittunen
05-03-2005, 07:38 AM
I found the tranducer under the engine. Two wires coming off it going to a box behind the dash panel. It does'nt work at any speed.

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
You didn't mention what speed it was reading bad at. They won't work over ~10 mph..

Huh? What kind of lame depth finder is that? You might as well go back to dropping a lead line if you have to almost stop to get a reading....

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Does it literally read "bad" or does it just not indicate anything. If I had a depth finder and all of a sudden it said "bad," I'd be slamming that boat into reverse! Sort of like a "we're screwed" reading.

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Does it literally read "bad" or does it just not indicate anything. If I had a depth finder and all of a sudden it said "bad," I'd be slamming that boat into reverse! Sort of like a "we're screwed" reading.

Yeah, mine says "you might as well power thru this one because you are already screwed..." :uglyhamme

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Thanks! - Now I need to go wipe my pudding off of my monitor!

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Huh? What kind of lame depth finder is that? You might as well go back to dropping a lead line if you have to almost stop to get a reading....

It's the Teleflex that was in the boat when I bought it used. I think it's where the clock is supposed to be.

Mine will read above 10, but it's completely inaccurate.

rodltg2
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
mine never worked in my old boat, at my ski lake it would read 120', which at its deepest part is only 8'. dont need it really so im not missing it on my mc.

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
It's the Teleflex that was in the boat when I bought it used. I think it's where the clock is supposed to be.

Mine will read above 10, but it's completely inaccurate.

Wow... I'd get a new depth sounder. Or just know your waters, I guess. A depth sounder should work fine at speed or not. Though it will be a little slower to record changes in depth if you're whipping along at 40mph.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Mine works at any speed, but if hitting wakes where you get air under it will pause for a moment.

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 02:29 PM
I have a depth alarm built into my prop. If the boat reaches an unacceptable depth, the prop sends a signal to the rest of the boat causing it to vibrate horribly.

SteveO
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I have a depth alarm built into my prop. If the boat reaches an unacceptable depth, the prop sends a signal to the rest of the boat causing it to vibrate horribly.

LOL, For a second you had me going.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:20 AM

I bet you pay alot to hear that alarm! On sunday, there was a guy that had a Malibu Wakesetter out on the Fox River and really messed up his running gear on the first run of the day. Must have hit a log or something. He was not a happy camper, and it was a new boat.

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Wow... I'd get a new depth sounder. Or just know your waters, I guess. A depth sounder should work fine at speed or not. Though it will be a little slower to record changes in depth if you're whipping along at 40mph.

99% of my boating time is on waters I have spent the past 30 years on, so I really don't need it. However, it is really nice when I do need it. So - I just keep it under 10 mph when going in close to the shore.

When my kids get old enough to start camping and we go to new lakes again, I'll replace it.

But, I thought that except for the really expensive ones, they all didn't work over 20 mph. Guess I was wrong. What kind do you have?

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I bet you pay alot to hear that alarm! On sunday, there was a guy that had a Malibu Wakesetter out on the Fox River and really messed up his running gear on the first run of the day. Must have hit a log or something. He was not a happy camper, and it was a new boat.

It is not a feeling I would wish on anyone. Bending a prop is small potatos. Bending "running gear" creates a sick feeling. Multiply that by 10 if it's not your boat.

sfitzgerald351
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
99% of my boating time is on waters I have spent the past 30 years on, so I really don't need it. However, it is really nice when I do need it. So - I just keep it under 10 mph when going in close to the shore.

When my kids get old enough to start camping and we go to new lakes again, I'll replace it.

But, I thought that except for the really expensive ones, they all didn't work over 20 mph. Guess I was wrong. What kind do you have?

I actually don't have one on my boat, but MIT's research boat had one that would work on the harbor at speed 25-30 mph. We were monitoring dredging sites and I'd just zip over to about where I knew the site was and once the depth sounder changed I'd stop, knowing I was there. I want to say the brand started with a T.

Todd Brosius
05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Was the depth finder installed by the dealer? If so they may have located it in the wrong spot. That Mastercraft hull (so I'm told) is made to have the depth finder mounted in a certain location and on my 2004 197 Prostar it is located slightly behind and to the driver's side of the enginge. I was also loaned an '04 209 and that depth finder read exactly what yours is doing, "bad". My depth finder in my 197 works at any speed and yours should also, especially if it is a Mastercraft product mounted in the correct location. I would research to see who mounted the depth finder. If the factory did, then it's probably something electrical but if your dealer did then it may be mounted wrong? I'm NO expert just trying to help through my past experience with a similiar situation.

BriEOD
05-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a uniden and it gives me a reading at WOT.

jimmer2880
05-05-2005, 07:04 AM
I didn't start the thread as I wasn't concerned about it. But, I'll answer anyway. Mine is located driver's side, behind the motor, but in front of the shaft. From all the conversations on this board, that is the preferred location.

Since everyone else can read going 30 mph, or more - it must be my piece of cr@p unit. Not real worried about it for a couple more years though.

River Rat
05-05-2005, 08:39 AM
I would say your problem is air. Dept finders are designed to look through solid mass not air. When I installed my humming bird in an old fishing boat years ago the directions said to put some h2o in the bottom of the boat(to remove the air from in between the transducer and the hull), get up to speed. Then you just move the transducer around until you get a good reading. Any voids in the hull wouldn’t let the transducer read. (in that old boat a good spot was hard to find) When mounting it with epoxy if you didn’t get all the air bubbles out you could still have problems. Now with that said, I would think the best mounting spot would be in front of the ?skegs? I would think that the skegs would create cavitation when the boat is planned out. My MC has a Hummingbird that was installed before I bought it, and it works at all speeds and seems to be accurate. Next time I use the boat I will look and see where mine is mounted. :twocents:

meittunen
05-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I solved the problem. It was a loose fuse holder under the dash. All the wires were wire tied together. This took away the spring tension for the fuse holder. There was 12 volts on one side of the fuse and no volts on the other side of the fuse with a good fuse. Thanks.