PDA

View Full Version : changing oil 08 x2 w mcx

TheOneandOnly
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I just ran the boat up to temp, routed the hose to the outside and took off the cap. I noticed it would not drain-just dripped. I followed the hose to the bottom of the oil pan and unscrewed a little back the bolt in the bottom. I see I can take it all out but oil will be everywhere. It still just drips out what am I doing wrong-this will take forever Never thought it would be a pain just for a oil change

93Prostar190
09-29-2008, 09:27 PM
It helps if you loosen the oil filler cap (I think you said you did that but just being safe) ... also make sure the drain hose is running as straight as possible and has no rise in it ... let gravity do the work.

Andyg
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Your engine oil is still cold. Your engine temp, the water in your engine was up to temperature, but it takes longer for the oil to get warm. Once the oil is warm then the oil will drain in a couple of minutes.

bigmac
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I just ran the boat up to temp, routed the hose to the outside and took off the cap. I noticed it would not drain-just dripped. I followed the hose to the bottom of the oil pan and unscrewed a little back the bolt in the bottom. I see I can take it all out but oil will be everywhere. It still just drips out what am I doing wrong-this will take forever Never thought it would be a pain just for a oil changeThat's why, in response to your other post on the subject, I recommended hooking the drain hose up to a suction pump.

Remember this question from you, and this post?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=544678&postcount=5

TheOneandOnly
09-29-2008, 10:46 PM
thanks bigmac forgot where that post went, I will be getting a pump tommorrow for both.
The guage stated 160 degrees but I only ran it for 8 minutes will go longer tommorrow, today was a little colder here also which would make sense

TheOneandOnly
09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
is it best to put in in gear for the tranny change?

flipper
09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
is it best to put in in gear for the tranny change?

Not dry!!!! Either run it in the lake, and change the tranny fluid, or just do it cold.

vision
09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Even warm, you will be disappointed removing the engine oil using gravity and the drain hose out the transom method. As others indicated, suck out the oil via the drain hose or the dipstick. Amazingly faster and easier.

TheOneandOnly
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
10-4 which style pump works the best?

ttu
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
10-4 which style pump works the best?

this is the one i use. it's a moeller fluid extractor. works great.

bigmac
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
this is the one i use. it's a moeller fluid extractor. works great.That Moeller looks great. I have a Pela because it's what was on sale at Fleet Farm. The pump thing isn't attached to the unit, it's applied just long enough to get negative pressure in the round tank. It fits inside a 5 gallon bucket, along with the tubing and the other oil-change accoutrements, so I can carry it all in one bucket.

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/27266_M1.jpg

I like the ones where you pump up suction rather then using an electric pump. It would be nice to get one that will handle your engine oil (5 quarts) as well as transmission oil (4 quarts) all in one. Mine is 6 liter capacity and I have to empty the thing in between operations.

endl
09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
This is the one I bought at tool source. Good Price works well. I still need to add the brass barb adaptor.

djhuff
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Easiest way to get the engine warm is to ride the boat, then drain the oil as soon as you get home.