PDA

View Full Version : Alternator and Stereo Install

BHT
09-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Getting ready to do a stereo install on my X1 and the alternator rating on the RTP310 engine is 70 amps. Does anyone know if that alternator can handle running a second battery and a medium size stereo system amp?

Gamble
09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm sure someone else will chime in,.......but from the sounds of it that should work fine.

bturner2
09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
I have a 03 X2. I'm running the Clarion 475 head unit with a single Clarion 200 Watt marine amp, 4 speakers in the boat and 2 MC speakers on the tower. Single battery, no problems. I don't sit around much or blast the stereo for hours on end. I do plan to add a second battery next year but this is mostly for the assurance that if I decide to start being the music for the party I'll have the extra juice to start the boat at the end of the day. My boat has (and yours should have too) an isolator multi-battery switch already installed in the boat so the installation should be pretty straight forward. Unless you plan to install multiple high powered amps you shouldn't have to do anything to your alternator. I'm also considering upgrading the stock battery switch to one of the auto balancing switches that came out recently. It's supposed to automatically switch the batteries for charging / starting.

BHT
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
bturner my setup is very similar to yours minus the tower speakers. I'm going to start out with just the one battery but would like to add a second battery down the road for more of a peace of mind. Thanks.

JimN
09-30-2008, 09:20 AM
There's not a tremendous amount of headroom in the factory alternator so if the amp draws a lot of current when you crank it up, it'll stress the charging system and lead to premature failure. The amp will determine what is needed. One amp should be OK, if a second one is used, a beefed up alternator will be much better.

If the alternator is chcanged to a higher output model, the charging lead will need to be heavier, too.

bturner2
10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Dang, you just missed a pair of factory cans for your tower on EBAY. I believe this last set went for under $150 (no speakers). I picked up a set for $200 about a month ago, new in the box. Found the Clairons that match what's in the boat for another $90 delivered. Wasn't really shopping for them at the time but decided to buy them anyway at that price. Was nervious I was getting scammed but they turned out to be the real thing. Very impressed with the quality. Wish I coud have gotten them eariler in the year. You may want to start doing a weekly search. Good luck.

brucemac
10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
bturner2, you got any pictures so i can see what you got? i may have seen that add on ebay, but it looked like they were for newer towers...(i have an 03 x-2 as well)

bturner2
10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
The ones I got were from an EBAY seller called towerspeakerconnection. At the time he had both the newer style (round post mount) and the older style like on the 04 tower which is what I bought. Right now he has a bunch of decals and a couple light bars offered for $175 or best. I was going to do a light bar but don't really do much night boating and heard they're pretty much a bug collector. Got enough clean up work to do as it is so I took a pass although I do think they look cool. Couldn't find any pictures that show the speakers well (also can't seem to figure out how to add images to this reply), sorry. I've been able to post pictures in the market place but can't seem to figure out how to do it here. Guess I need to do some more reading in the FAQ section.