PDA

View Full Version : Underwater stump removal

Lance
08-11-2004, 08:36 PM
We recently purchased a piece of waterfront property on a man made lake that has numerous tree stumps that were not removed prior to flooding (the story goes that after damming the river they thought they would have a few years to clear all the stumps but then the rain from a big hurricane in '72 filled the lake in just a few weeks from all the run-off). These tree stumps range in size from pretty small to fairly large (I would say 4 to 18 inches in diameter) and are at all depths (of course I am most concerned about the ones in shallower water... say 4 feet and less). Although they have been underwater since 1972 they still feel pretty solid (even the smaller ones).

Any suggestions on how to remove them?

I know this isn't Mastercraft related (unless you consider the possible damage it could do to the boat) but hope this fits in the 'off-topic' area.

Thanks in advance.
Lance

Farmer Ted
08-11-2004, 09:05 PM
A case of beer, a case of dynamite, and a promise to BrianEOD that if he comes over he can drink beer, ski, and blow $hit up! :banana:

But seriously, this will be an interesting thread to follow!

Ever consider a chain around the stump and hooking it up to the boat and seeing if you can pursuade the stump to get out of your way (with the swim platform removed of course)

stevo137
08-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Farmer,
He could blow em' up and catch quite a few fish at the same time! :woohoo:

JimN
08-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Selling the fish could become a "cottage" industry. :uglyhamme

Sorry. It was a very weird day.

Dan K
08-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Those stumps will be around a long long time underwater. A few years ago some divers discovered an underwater forest in Lake Huron soemwhere around Tawas City. They determined it was prehistoric.
Here is an interesting read on it. http://www.otus.oakland.edu/biology/staff/DHForest.htm

Drain the lake and cut them down.

JimN
08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
They found rafts of logs in Lake Superior from the 1800's logging industry. All kinds of old growth lumber and when wood goes to the bottom of cold water and the oxygen level is lower, the wood lasts a looong time! They're selling a lot of it to musical instrument makers and furniture makers who specialize in custom and Arts & Craft style pieces.

Leroy
08-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Actually along the same line many of the underwater structures to support Venice is wood from more than a thousand years ago. THey found that when wood is underwater and no air reaches it, it will not rot. Maybe you should pump some air into the stumps......

Drain and cut/pull sounds most practical. If the bank is flat enough and you could get a tractor there you might be able to put a chain on it.

I bet Brian has something that would work but he would have to kill you if you saw him in action!

André
08-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Is it a man made ski lake or way bigger?
Lowering the water level seems the good way to go.

rem_p
08-11-2004, 10:57 PM
stump grinder would be the best way...if you can get the water level down...our lake goes down everywinter...not sure why, but it makes for several months of working on seawalls or piers or cleaning up a lake lots bottom

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Tim, you kill me. Can't stop laughing. :purplaugh

lakes Rick
08-11-2004, 11:28 PM
They found rafts of logs in Lake Superior from the 1800's logging industry. All kinds of old growth lumber and when wood goes to the bottom of cold water and the oxygen level is lower, the wood lasts a looong time! They're selling a lot of it to musical instrument makers and furniture makers who specialize in custom and Arts & Craft style pieces.

Hey I saw that Documentary also..... The guy who discovered the logs was actually a diver who had always been looking for sunken treasure and was home diving the lakes.... Some of the logs were worth over $30,000 each.... He found his treasure and it wasn't gold or diamonds......

BriEOD
08-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Funny, one of my closest buddies was clearing land a few years for his home in Florida and had the "Mother" of all stumps. They tore up a Tranny in a Ford F-350, snapped a 2" chain, tried a front end loader, a John Deere tractor, burning it, you name it. Anyhow, I guess it's always good to know a demolition guy. I have my commercial blasters licenese in Fla. I bought some dynamite and after about 4 shots over three days and a ton of dirt for tamping we splintered it enough to get it out.

Demo underwater is a whole different animal. You have to waterproof all the fuse. Dynamite isn't as effective, you can't tamp the shot, the overpressures are different. Definitely more time consuming and less cost effective.

ski_king
08-12-2004, 12:28 AM
I think your only hope is finding them with a friends fishing boat and fish finder, marking them and staying clear of them.
It may be possible to get rid of a few, I like the dynimite idea. You can have a big fish fry afterwards also.

Then again, maybe invite the guy in the 04 XStar that Bert mentioned in the Bent shaft, strut, rudder, prop thread over to the lake. I bet he could find and grind down a couple of the major ones before he completely destroyed his boat again.

Lance
08-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all of your thoughts. An answer to a couple of questions... the lake is "way bigger" than just a ski lake... I believe it covers 13,000 acres. About 3 years ago the water level was way low due to a drought (like 3-4 feet low which would expose many of the stumps) but generally it stays within 18 inches of the high water mark.

I tried removing some similar smaller stumps with a chain and come-along and they didn't budge so I doubt hooking up with a boat will do any good. Even a big tractor (which I don't have access to) would probably only get the smaller ones.

One thing that I was thinking I would try is putting one of those silly chain saw extensions on the end of a weed eater. They have about a 4 or 6 foot extension which would leave the engine above water but the cutting head below. I have never tried one but believe they are only made for trimming branches so it would probably be a long slow process. OBTW... the thing I hate most in life is combining chain saws and heights... the second worst might be chainsaws and water.

I am not sure about blasting. I guess I would have to see what other locals have done before heading down that path.

Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming.
Lance

BriEOD
08-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Are their homes and building around the lake? If so blasting probably won't be an option. Windows and foundations tend not to do so well with peak overpressures. What about a big underwater acetylene torch?

jimmer2880
08-12-2004, 08:39 AM
I just love all those commercials where they show a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck pulling stumps out... Really... I don't know what it's like where you live - but where I live, you need a BackHoe or Dozer or Loader to get a stump out. Period. No pickup truck made will pull out a 24" oak stump around these parts.

Brieod - you remind me of a friend of mine who just passed away. He was a rocket scientist, but was always talking about new uses for c4 (like making holes for telephone poles in rock, popping fenders off of cars, etc). He was called when the 1st space shuttle blew up to help find out why. Some of his ideas were real keepers :D

Anyway... must be neat to have that kind of knowledge tucked into your braincells....:friday:

BriEOD
08-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks...I think! :D

Yeah, it's beginning to become a lost profession. Unless you're law enforcement, military, or a commercial demo company. The only big money is special effects and that's hard to get into.

Sounds like a smart guy. Although why would he want to use C-4 to put holes in rocks. It's to brisant (it's a shattering explosive). Dynamite or Amatol would be much better. They are slower, "pushing" explosives. C-4 would just make a mess. Everything is compared to TnT (Trinitrotolulene--$5 word their) which is the base line of 1 for all explosives. C-4 is like a 1.34 and Dynamite is like .89. Therefore a much better choice. However, Dynamite isn't very safe. The Nitroglycerin in Dynamite if not properly stored (temp, humidity) will crystalize and make a picric acid. This stuff is super sensitive. If the crystal breaks (wind, bump it, etc), it will sympathetically detonate everything, bad stuff. Normally, they find it in old barns and stuff and just burn the barn down. Better to rebuild the barn then get a new hand or explosives enforcement officer. The military uses RDX in place of the Nitroglycerin in Dynamite because it's much safer. You can do some cool stuff with explosives though: linear and conical shape charges, you name it. If you guys got questions about ordnance fire away I'll give you the skinny. My wife hates watching movies with me cause I'm like that is so B.S. "Cut the red one." In reality no one cuts any wires. We use explosive tools to disrupt firing trains. For example the PAN (Percussion Non-Electric) is a stainless steel hollowed out rod with a breach on the back. You fill in with a half liter of water and plug the face, then put a "special" shotgun round in the breach and remotely fire it at firing train components. It shoots a jet of water at a few thousand feet per second. Very effective. No, one cuts wires...Enough of my ramblings. And you guys thought I was a Gynecologist from Eugene, OR. :D

atlps190
08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
What about (what I call) a "dock post jetty?" I'm thinking of a post hole digger that squirts water for putting dock posts into the bottom...??? I've used these to "jet" in some posts and remove rocks before, and it's amazing what the power of water will do. Here, Home Depot rents these kinds of pumps, and if you were to put the right nozzle on it and "jet" out the mud, sand, muck, etc from around the roots, you might get it to come loose. After that, then I would try the truck and chain thing.

-Todd

JimN
08-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey Brian- how do you feel about explosions in outer space that make a lot of noise and push things around?

What about drilling a hole in the stump horizontally at the base or vertically down through the center of the stump and putting the charge inside?

John B
08-12-2004, 09:22 AM
I would just find them and mark them with hazard buoys :D

Ron Grover
08-12-2004, 10:17 AM
This would be an interesting project that sounds like a good idea to contemplate in a garage with a bunch of guys and beer.

Seriously, I think I would use cable and a bulldozer. Someone in the water to secure the cable as low and tightly as possible to the stump. Long cable to shore and attach to dozer and pull. Be sure to weld up a piece of plate steel behind the operator in case of cable break, otherwise it might be an adventure finding operators head if that cable snaps.

Good luck. I do agree though, the dynamite idea would be a lot more fun. Water, explosives, and alcohol can't get any better than that. I'll be looking to read about you on the internet. This is the stuff from which legends are made.

gene dobies
08-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks Dan, that made for very interesting reading.

JimN
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
As long as nobody here wins a Darwin Award, it'll be good. I have heard that the 2 most common things said before accidental deaths in the South are:

"Hold my beer!"

and "Hey y'all, watch this!"

BriEOD
08-12-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't know Jim, never really gave the space thing any thought. It probably wouldn't be good though. I'm sure it would affect satellites, etc.

As for the drilling into the stump it depends. It would depend on how big the stump was. If it's a small stump, you probably couldn't get a big enough hole to get a good amount of "bang" tamped into the stump. In that case you'd just make more work. Ideally you want to get down near the base on a side and cut a notch out and tamp it with earth. The energy from the detonation is like electricity, takes the path of least resistance. So, should I go into this hard stump or out the other side where it's just air. That's why you tamp with copious amounts of earth. Plus, unlike the movies, this is going to take a lot more explosives then you think. Add in the blasting caps, time fuse, igniters, (an EPA permit if your going the legal route) cost adds up quick. Actually no B.S. the Army has a laminated field card that tells you when blowing tree's/stumps how big the stump is, how much bang, how big the notch is. I think it's from WW2. I have an old card around here somewhere.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone if you don't have the proper training. Explosives are very powerful things. Blasting, isn't very cost effective for removing stumps. And, I know we're joking but alcohol has no place with explosives or guns. 99% of all accidents with explosives are because people don't follow the rules.

6balls
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Lance,

Locate a marine contractor who does residential seawall construction - in my area there are 4 or 5- with small barges equipped with a claw/crane that can be used to pull stumps.

Knoxes
08-12-2004, 04:24 PM
So what yer sayin is a bunch of M80's twistied together ain't gonna do it?

Lance
08-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Although the explosives route makes for good reading... rest assured I have no plans of attempting this (nor even asking a professional for help) since there are many boat houses, docks, and houses not too far away.

The most promising things I have heard so far are: 1) some type of water jet to move the sand out of the way and then pull with a tractor or dozer and long cable, or 2) (more likely at least in the short term) mark them with bouys.

Keep the ideas coming though. This thread is more interesting than I thought it would be but hasn't provided the silver bullet that I was hoping for. To be fair though, I didn't think there would be an easy answer to this.

Thanks again.
Lance

atlps190
08-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Lance,

The Home Depot tool rental near me calls them "trash pumps" that cement / foundation guys use to pump out flooded concrete footers or forms before they pour...there is a screened intake that draws the water, and an output hose that blows the water out. The tool place may not have the right nozzle, but I bet you could fabricate something to go on the end of the output hose to make the right "jet."

Now, remember that the actual pump has to be out of the water - so you'd have to have it sitting on a dock or boat / barge. Not sure where your stumps are in relation to the dock / shore.

Just brainstorming here, but maybe you could even jet out enough space under the stump(s) and inflate some "air bags" underneath it and float it to deeper water and just sink it again? I've seen air bags used to raise sunken boats and to move bottom mount boat lifts. I know there are salvage companies that make these "industrial" type air bags...I'll try to find more info...

Just my thoughts...

-Todd

atlps190
08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Found it...

http://www.carterbag.com/home.html

Reading the stuff on that site, maybe you could even use one of the bags to actually lift the stump from above?

-T.

Lance
08-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks Todd. I actually have a 4 HP trash pump that I could try. I haven't done a lot with the pump but mine doesn't tend to have real high pressure (I really think they are design with the intent of pumping a high volume of wather but at very low pressure). Bottom line is that I have one so should start with that before moving on to other more expensive options. I would be surprised if I would be able to "float" them out with a lift bag since many of the stumps are in too shallow of water to get enough bouyance above them. Good suggestion but unlikely I think.

Thanks again.
Lance

Knoxes
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Maybe someone has suggested this already, but can't you just have a dredging company come in? Surely their equipment will uproot these stumps. If not, I know you can rent bobcats with boom and buckets from Home Depot. I don't know how deep you can drive these or if the lake bottom will support it, but they'll pull a stump out. Maybe you can reach them from a dry spot?

JimN
08-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I know they shouldn't be involved but probably will, but has anyone thought about what the DNR would say about disturbing the lake bottom this way? Pulling little fishy's habitat and driving heavy equipment on the bottom and leaving big holes is not gonna make them happy.

And, NO, this is not a green light to call me a tree hugger!

Lance
08-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Of course with enough money this problem is an easy one... just keep calling various contractors out until one comes with a solution and estimate. I was hoping that I might be able to make good progress with a sub $1000 Do-It-Yourself solution. If when I conclude that I can't make any progress then I guess I will pick up the phone.

I haven't mapped out the location of all the stumps but in the 150 feet of shoreline out to a depth of say 6 feet (probably 40 ft from shore) there are probably 15 to 30 stumps ranging in size from 4 to 18 inches in diameter.

I haven't seen or heard of a dredging company doing any work on the lake but definitely be watching for one and getting a quote.

Of course with a new property purchase there are numerous ways to spend money and this probably isn't the very highest so I still might fall back on the solution of marking the worst ones with bouys.

Thanks again.
Lance

MarkP
08-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Lance,

This may be worth a shot.
Maybe you could get a price, or hire them for the big stumps and try to DIY on the little ones??

http://www.lutherlimited.com/loggerhead.htm

Good luck :toast:

Knoxes
08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
DIY - I pulled a Bradford pear stump out of my front yard with my Cherokee once. It was about 8-10" and required a bit of prep work around the base, but it wasn't that hard to do.

MarkP
08-13-2004, 12:24 PM
I’ll add, it may take a bit less “base prep” underwater.:twocents:

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
You're probably going to need a permit. Are you're neighbors going to chip in? Is this a private lake?

Lance
08-13-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure about a permit. Probably something to look into though. I doubt if my neighbors will chip in and help remove the ones in front of my property unless I help with theirs. A zero sum game to be sure. This is a problem for all of the waterfront owners but each is handling the problem on their own I guess. In the development that we bought in there hasn't been much activity by any of our new neighbors so I don't know them or what they are going to do.

The lake is not a private lake although there are no public access points.

Lance
08-13-2004, 06:48 PM
OBTW BriEOD... I saw on another post that you also have an 87 Prostar 190. I always told myself that when my first child was 7 I would by a new mastercraft (which will be in about 3.5 years) but the more I see the older versions (including the pictures of yours on another post) the more I like the one I have. Nothing against the new ones of course. Mine is gray and blue. I have learned to like it but my favorite is still the white with either red or maroon.

Why though did you have to replace the engine in yours?

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Lance,

When my wife and I got transfered from Hawaii back to the east coast (Charleston) a little over 3 yrs ago I found the boat in Tampa. The person I bought it from had purchased from someone in Atlanta that supposedly used the boat 1 season then pulled the engine out and put it in a wooden Chris-Craft. :confused: This guy(s) bought the boat put an engine in and some other stuff and turned it. Their are some other things on it that aren't stock like you're 87 (or Brad's and their is someone else on here with an 87 that is identical to mine except my pylon isn't black). I got it back to Charleston and the second time I had it out I turned it off and couldn't get it to start again. Their was water in the oil, bad. To make a long story short, I re-built the top end of the motor, that didn't work, after 15 oil changes. Called, around, asked friends, etc. Finally, I took it to the dealer, he said I had bad compression in one of the cylinders, and the block was on it's last legs. I had them put in a new long block. I contacted the previous owner. He was somewhat helpful and reimbursed me for the parts when I rebuilt the top end. Although I still think something was up and he may or may not have told me. But, it's been 3 years ago, so what can you do. I'm over it, the guy I bought it from ocassionally is on here and he does try and help people out so I guess he's not all bad. Just one of those things in life that Murphy's Law kicked in and drives you nuts. I've obviuosly had zero trouble with then new engine. Actually, once I got passed engine trouble it's been pretty good. I've added a bimini, stereo, skylon, depth finder, breakerless ignition, and some other odds and ends. It's been a lot of fun. I Slalom and I've been pretty happy with the wake and it's got plenty to get you out of the water. We'll definitely been looking for something new or newer in 3 or 4 years.

JimN
08-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Brian- have you ever heard "O'Toole's Corollary" To Murphy's Law?

"Murphy was an optimist".

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 01:22 PM
No JimN I've never heard that one. But it's a good one.

The epitome of Murphy's Law is when you have a 10 2000lb bombs set to go by placing some C-4 on them, tieing them all in together with detonating cord and non-electric blasting caps and then a single initiation point with a electic blasting cap way up range. You crank on the blasting machine and you get nothing. Not only are you going oh Sh*t what did I do wrong now you owe a round for having a mis-fire...Ol Murpy, S.O.B.! :)

JimN
08-14-2004, 01:32 PM
What exactly is in a blasting machine? Is it all electronic now or is it electro-mechanical like before? Seems like a magneto and a switch at the bottom of the rack's travel would give enough voltage to get the job done.

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Well, they are just starting to use one with electronic components. Basically it's a small box 4"x3", with 2 buttons. One button to charge the capactitor and the other to dump. Previously it was an electo mechanical machine. You held it in your hand and quickly squeezed the handle repeatedly to discharge current. It was called the M-34. Vietnam era stuff. The military is very slow. It takes forever to test and get thing approved by the DDESB (Dept of Defense Explosive Safety Board).

Lance
08-15-2004, 09:41 PM
BriEOD,

Where did you live in Hawaii? My wife and I lived there for a couple of years when we were working on a project for the Navy at Pearl Harbor. We lived on Oahu at the end of Kapialani (sp?) park at the base of Diamond Head in Waikiki. Spent a lot of time down at Waikiki's Duke's Canoe club. We learned to sail at Hickam Air Force base.

We miss it tremendously. Although we had to give up the blue water of Hawaii I guess we get to use the MasterCraft again so it isn't all bad.

Lance

BriEOD
08-15-2004, 10:03 PM
For about the first year I was their I lived in a house in Aiea (only city I know of in US with all vowels) behind Pearlridge Mall on Ka'amilo Street up on the "hill." Actually it was a God-awful house, no insulation, A/C, dishwasher, washer/dryer. It was me a 3 other guys. We had dive gear everywhere. I went everyother day. Hit the YO257 off Wakiki, or Electric Beach out near Wainae or in the Summer hit Haleiwa Trench on the North Shore (lots of Turtles). After I got married, I moved on to Hickam AFB, my wife had a great house and it was like 2 blocks to my detachment. If you came in the main gate and made a right it was on your right, across the street from the BX and BK on Tinker Ave. I spent many a Sunday at Dukes. We would park at Ft Derusy and walk down. Otherwise their was no parking! Did you ever make it to the Sugar Bar up in Wailua? That place was pretty cool. I also liked the bar over on the Coast Guard Station at Barber's Point, Coasties I think they called it. Cheap Corona and good volleyball courst. Yep, good times. I just travelled so much. I was in DC alot or over to Japan. So either way it was 6hrs. That got old, FAST. I actually, flew from their to Kuwait one year. Longest flight of my life: Honolulu to LA, LA to Dallas, Dallas to Balto/Wash, Balto/Wash to Azores (Portugal), Azores to Sicily, Sicily to Kuwait City. It was like 2 days and I couldn't complain because to of my teamates were out of Japan and Guam so they had further to go!! Yeah, Hawaii, I miss the weather, plate lunches and did you ever go to Big Kahunas Pizza right off of Nimitz near Pearl Harbor, yum! Good times, Good Times!

Bongo
01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Simple Method:

1. Call two or three companies on the lake who dredge or sink posts for docks, get competitive bids, select contractor and schedule day.
2. Meet said contractor at the lake, watch them start on the stumps, start a little bonfire, drink a cup of coffee.
3. 4 hours later, write a check and thank them for their service.

Time spent:
Selecting Contractor: 2 hours
“Supervising” Stump Removal: 4 hours
Earning that amount of money at regular job: 40 hours

Do It Yourself Method:

1. Search Google for underwater stump removal methods. Get off-topic and veer into decompositions durations for various tree varieties in different climates within the world at different times in the evolution of the planet. Try to unearth how long and why some trees become petrified.
2. Post message at Team MasterCraft Team Talk to solicit what others have done.
3. Review initial responses to post. Hmmm. Beer. “I better grab one from the fridge before I go on.” Arrgghhh. Out of beer. Run to the store. Buy some cold beer. Discover all the space in the fridge is taken up. Go to garage to hook up auxiliary fridge. No outlet. Rewire the garage with a friggin’ outlet where I’ve got the fridge. While putting the cover on the new outlet, discover an existing outlet right next to it – right behind the water skis stacked up in the corner.
4. Search Google. Dynamite. Plastic explosives. Darwin awards. Damn…there goes another evening.
5. Talk up the ideas with friends and family. See if they’ve got any great insight.
6. Acknowledge your brother-in-law’s idea to use a chain between each stump and a tractor. Quietly note to him that the tractor he calls his “small tractor” still has 300 more horsepower than what you’ve got on your “big tractor”.
7. Decide on your plan of action: (A) Buy a Poulan Tree Pruner from Lowe’s, (B) Anchor the pontoon boat next to each stump and cut the visible roots, and (C) Hook up a chain to four-wheel drive SUV on shore and yank the stumps out.
8. See if one of your buddies wants to help you on a weekday; you don’t want to try this out in front of all your neighbors who will be there on weekends, until you’ve got it perfected. Three of your buddies agree to help. Kind of like watching a car wreck; while not pleasant to watch, they just can’t help themselves from witnessing firsthand how this is going to work out.
9. Head to the lake. Pack a case of the “Beast” (Milwaukee’s Best; they might be friends, but they’re not that close.)
10. Pick up the first buddy. He also has a cooler; I hope he has better stuff.
11. Second and third buddies also bring coolers.
12. Get to lake. Unload.
13. Anchor pontoon.
14. Start Pruner.
15. Move pontoon boat to a different location to get the “right angle” on the next visible root.
16. Drink beer and wait for the water to clear up a bit.
17. Move pontoon boat. Change Pruner operator.
18. Beer. Wait for the water to clear up.
19. Move pontoon boat.
20. . . .
21. Back the SUV up to water’s edge.
22. Connect chain.
23. Drink beer and theorize why nobody on the Team MasterCraft board offered this suggestion.
24. Stand back. Here goes. Rock it back and forth. “Yep, the stump seems to be moving.”
25. Keep this up for the next half hour, at occasional intervals visually looking at the progress in pulling out the first stump.
26. Your buddy who was back tending the fire notes that when you’re rocking the SUV back and forth, it appears you’re only sinking into the sand and soil and not moving.
27. Beer. Decide he’s wrong, but that you could probably attack this from a better angle.
28. Unhook SUV from stump.
29. “Hey boys, I’m a little stuck. Please help push.”
30. Damn. SUV is stuck. Nightime is approaching.
31. Sheepishly call wife. Very briefly explain the need for her to swing by your buddy’s house, drop off the kids and bring his SUV to the lake.
32. Beer.
33. Burn empty beer cans in fire.
34. Beer.
35. Wife shows up with buddy’s SUV. Thankfully, pulling out the stuck SUV took little time.
36. Endure quiet ride home. Buddies are smart enough to all ride in the other vehicle.
37. Call buddies the next afternoon (morning was a little rough). Get one buddy to do a repeat performance the following week. Repeat steps 12 – 30, but smart enough this time to bring along a second vehicle.
38. Now left with two stumps that are much bigger problems with cut roots than originally.
39. Wife decides there’s got to be a method that doesn’t require so much work. Calls two or three companies on the lake who dredge or sink posts for docks, get competitive bids, selects contractor. . .

Time spent:
Surfing the Internet: 72 hours
Attempting stump removal: 22 hours
Missed work: 16 hours

Oh yea, plus:
Selecting Contractor: 2 hours

BriEOD
01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
AWESOME!! I especially liked the manpower break down. Is that really a true story?

CoFooter
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
You forgot the most important point.

Hanging out with your buddies all day screwing around and drinking beer - PRICELESS. What fun is it hiring a contractor....

Lance
01-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Whoever has time for a 39 point response to my original post needs a REAL job... or maybe just a job ;)

Mag_Red
01-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Whoever has time for a 39 point response to my original post needs a REAL job... or maybe just a job ;)YOu have to admit though..........that is quite a third post of his. :toast: At that rate ....he'll never crack 100

BriEOD
01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
That is an Outstanding Post!!

JimN
01-04-2005, 12:17 AM
But he forgot getting gooned and offering tips on how to do the job better.

jimmer2880
01-04-2005, 07:13 AM
What's also missing is the already drunk neighbor coming over saying "it'll never work, you have the chain hooked up backwards!" :toast:

Awsome post!

MarkP
01-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Well jimmer, that explains a lot, "the chain hooked up backwards":friday:

Dan K
01-04-2005, 10:15 AM
After reading Bongo's incredible post I don't under why our women do not have more appreciation for the trouble we go thru to do things ourselves.

HydroScapers
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I recently started a local business that addresses this issue. I noticed this posting on google, I run a chainsaw underwater along with scuba gear and do complete removal of flooded trees. Although the stump isn't removed, I can cut the trees inches above the bottom.

bbymgr
03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
LMFAO!!!!! I've never seen this thread before, but Bongo's post(#47) is the best post I've ever read on here.

Ski-me
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, what do you know.....they actually make underwater chainsaws!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxhXNLaP6s

or even rent one......

http://www.rentaltoolsonline.com/CS-Unitec-Underwater-ChainSaw-p/101141.htm

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, what do you know.....they actually make underwater chainsaws!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxhXNLaP6s

or even rent one......

http://www.rentaltoolsonline.com/CS-Unitec-Underwater-ChainSaw-p/101141.htm

That might be more fun than a Sawzall! :cool:

Big Dogg
03-04-2010, 12:51 AM
I dont know about you all, but using that thing underwater in the lakes around here would be like taking the chance of running a chainsaw blindfolded! Great thinking!

Skipper
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I wish I had my own private lake that I needed to remove tree stumps from...

94PS190
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
great thread! a few thoughts:

1) attatch stupm to Mastercraft with short chain.

2) attatch teather to cooler placed on shore.

3) put boat in gear.

4) let stump "feel the pull" while prop wash does the excavating.

5) when stump pops boat will move forward and engage kill switch.

Or:

1) download glory days of your Ipod

2) join local firedept

3) loop glory days while listening to countless arguements about who had the most tackles, yards, HR's and stike outs there senior year while at the FD.

4 Borrow fire truck

5) Watch three or four fat guys try to blast out the stump with the fire hose while a few others pull it out with the truck.

Barefooter92
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
If these stumps are of any age they are probably petrified. Tried that on the river a few years back when they let the dam down and the chain saw threw sparks. After three chains on one stump we gave up and now mark them with a Tide bottle. By the way they will stop an I/O dead in its tracks!

macattack
03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Even though I saved a couple of $1000, in retrospect, the sitting back/beer idea might have been better! We cleared our 200' of shoreline both ways...blood, sweat & tears with a chainsaw and come-a-long (22 stumps to each other, then the Jeep) and then hired out the rest (3' of muck and debris) to the Swawp Gator! After the muck dry, we raked it out and now have a pretty nice beach:) mac

macattack
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's the final beach shot...

macattack
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
For some reason the site would not allow me to edit/add a pic in the previous post:(

Hollywood
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow, nice work^

dog paw
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I wish I had my own private lake that I needed to remove tree stumps from...

Hehe, If its where I think it is there's a couple two gig reactors that claim that water;)

Lance, you on the warm side of Anna? My Dad had stump issues at his place (on the main lake) He's dead and gone and the stumps are still there. Brings back memories...LOL! We had a tractor and multiple 4wd trucks at once. Made a hell of a mess out of alot of pretty sod:D That backhoe looks like the way to go, although I would like to be around to see some fighters with cool stuff hanging off there wings do some flyovers if you go with the dynamite plan :D

Finnsdad
03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
nice work macattack... could never get away with that here

atlfootr
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Great looking beach area, compared to what was there!
We used one of those to clear out a retention pond, saved hours of back breaking labor !

Lance
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
For anyone that actually cares about this thread I was able to remove almost all of the stumps using hydraulic cylinders and log chain. Basically connected chain to the stump I wanted removed in the water and to an even bigger stump on shore and then hydraulic cylinder between the chains. It was a slow process at times and made several modifications but made progress. First I started with a cylinder with 3" inch bore and got some but it ran out of gas on the big ones. Then I bought a 5" cylinder and that got a lot more. Eventually I ran into a stump that even it couldn't pull out. That was the moment that it got personal. Purchased another 5" cylinder to work in parallel and another 150' of chain and out it came.

I have some pictures that show the progress. I don't know exactly how much hydraulic pressure my old tractor produces but at 1000 psi I calculated that I was pulling with nearly 40,000 lbs of force.

In the end, the biggest problem was getting the chain to stay connected in the water (wanted to slip off) which became a fiasco in itself.

This was a long process and a lot of manual work (I was using 3/8" chain) as the chain and cylinders are heavy to lug around and then working in water added a bigger challenge.

I have only 1 stump that I need to remove and that is the one I have been using for a mooring ball (don't have a dock / boathouse yet) but hopefully I will be able to remove that soon.

I will try to find and post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Lance

CruisinGA
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Pictures would be great!

Sounds like quite a job!

Bongo
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Excellent news, Lance! ;-)

Willski
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
That was quite an undertaking!

Kevin 89MC
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I would love to see some pictures of this, sounds like a lot of work, but fun in a twisted way too...
Kevin