PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Skip

YooperScott
09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
My 95 190 with LT1 seems to skip or hesitate at certain rpms. For instance when trying to surf around 12 mph with it last week it really likes to skip (best I can describe it). There are a couple of other times when going slow and starting to accelerate it will hesitate just a bit. I cannot get too much coming up with a search. It seems I have seen many posts in the past with people referring to skipping in LT1's. Is there perhaps some flat spot in the ECM program? I cannot find it now but I remember someone saying they put a newer computer in an LT1 and have more horsepower. I know the LT1 did not change through the years (until the LT4) so my guess would be that the newer computer may have better mapping and got some power there (even though I would question the 20 horse I recall the gain was claimed to be)? At slalom speeds it does just fine (what we normally do with the boat).

At any rate I am just looking for any opinions as to if this really is a common LT1 thing and if there is anything I can do about it? I will plan to change the fuel filter and spark plugs next spring, along with cleaning the air filter when it comes out of winterization but I wonder if that will help this issue at all?

Thanks,
Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I would first check to be sure you don't have a spark plug that has the porcelain cracked or the gap is wrong. It can cause a miss under different loads.
I took a new, .3 hour on hour meter factory tested 1993 PS190 for the UNC Ski Team to West Palm Beach for a week training session, straight from the dealer after being delivered the day before and it missed only at trick speeds, but ran perfect for slalom and jump. It took 3 trips to the dealer and to the lake for them to find a cracked spark plug!