PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Trailer

pwskicat
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Last Spring, I bought an '89 TriStar 190 without a trailer. 2 weeks ago, I bought an inboard trailer from another boat.

How do I get the boat balanced on its new trailer? I won't have a scale at the ramp. And there's no water at the scale. How do a reposition the boat on the trailer with no water?

Thanx for yr help, PW

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
First, check the tongue weight this way,

or check here, page 14 has a better picture, http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/DVL_PDFs/DVLTrailerSafety.pdf

If it's close to 180 to 200 lbs. your close.

bigmac
09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I guess the first thing I'd do is find out where you are presently....you may not need to do anything.

Take the boat and trailer to a scales and weigh it with gas and gear on board. Then I'd check tongue weight as Harold describes above. If the tongue weight is between 10 and 15% of the trailer weight, you're good to go. If not, some adjustment one way or the other is indicated, but you may very well find that such adjustment isn't necessary.

pwskicat
09-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've got the bathroom scale all ready!

PW

pwskicat
09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
One more question.

The picture of the homemade weight rig above shows the tongue jack dead center and what looks like right behind the ball receptacle. My jack is off to the side, and couple of feet behind. How much will this affect the weight reading?

Thanx, PW

Hollywood
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
You should be trying to get as close to the end/tongue as possible. Put the scale up on blocks and use the cross-beam wood/pipe right under where the ball would be. Simulate the ride height of the tongue with that of the tow vehicle.

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
One more question.

The picture of the homemade weight rig above shows the tongue jack dead center and what looks like right behind the ball receptacle. My jack is off to the side, and couple of feet behind. How much will this affect the weight reading?

Thanx, PW

Just use a cut off piece of 2X4, PVC or a jackstand between the board and under the tongue/ball location @ approx. 18" above the floor to simulate nominal ride height. Your not suppose to use the trailer jack to measure the tongue weight with, it will be all screwed up, measure @ the ball location in your case, that's just a generic diagram picture. The 1.5 lb. weight of the jackstand won't make that much difference in 200lbs. I used a 15" long piece of 2" PVC stuck up in the ball socket and got 192 lbs.

pwskicat
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Got it.

Thanx for all yr help.

ted shred
10-24-2008, 07:35 PM
You can also take your tow vehicle to the scale and weigh it by itself. Then come back with the boat and trailer and anything else that would be in the boat, fuel etc. Then drive the tow vehicle on the scale, but don,t let the trailer tires on the scale. This will tell you how much tongue weight is on the tow vehicle. Then weigh the whole out fit together. The scale operator will be able to tell you what you want to know.