PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on chrome wheel care for winter storage?

jkski
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I bought one of the 40th Anniv 197's earlier this year along with the great looking trailer with the stainless fenders and chrome wheels. While it's a great looking package it comes with a great deal of maintenance to keep it that way. So, as winter approaches, I am looking for your thoughts as to what I can spray.coat the wheels and fenders with to keep them from possibly rusting/discoloring? The boat/trailer are stored in a dry, unheated pole barn on a cement floor and I thought of spraying them with WD-40, but I figured if there was a good product out there for such an application you guys would know.
Thanks in advance.

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
The fenders are Stainless Steel and the wheels are chromed aluminum. Neither should rust or corrode, but a good coat of Pledge Furniture Polish on all of it wouldn't hurt. I have a set of chromed aftermarket aluminum wheels by Eagle on my Buick and chromed steel wheels by American on the boat trailer and van and the wheel care instructions for both call for the use of Pledge Furniture Polish to keep them polished and shiny and it works and you can even use regular car wax, what ever trips your trigger.

jkski
09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Pledge...never heard that one before but I like it. MC actually replaced my wheels once as they pitted very badly (in less than 3 months) and the trailer does not sit outside. Maybe it was just a problem that occurred when they wee originally coated, who knows, but I certainly can not expect them to replace them again if the same thing happens, so I want to do all I can to preserve them.
Thanks for the advice.

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Pledge...never heard that one before but I like it. MC actually replaced my wheels once as they pitted very badly (in less than 3 months) and the trailer does not sit outside. Maybe it was just a problem that occurred when they wee originally coated, who knows, but I certainly can not expect them to replace them again if the same thing happens, so I want to do all I can to preserve them.
Thanks for the advice.

That corrosion is possible of the wheels have been scrubbed or chipped and you are in salt water, but otherwise I can't see any reason other than a coating defect. If corrosion on chrome plated aluminum wheels is normal problem that anyone should encounter, then it would be a serious worldwide problem with all the factory and aftermarket chromed aluminum wheels that are being run this day and time.
The wheels on my Buick have been on it since 1999 and they put all kinds of salt and brine on our roads during winter storms and I've never had a problem. I do keep them clean inside and out using a bottle scrubber and your run of the mill biodegradable cleaner and soapy water and there is not a scratch on them or any scrubs or chips.

jkski
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Good to hear. I believe that the original set must have had something affect them during the coating process, but again, don't want to take any chances as these puppies are expensive to replace!!!
So, do you htink that a good coating of pledge will last all winter or will I need to periodically spray them.

TMCNo1
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Good to hear. I believe that the original set must have had something affect them during the coating process, but again, don't want to take any chances as these puppies are expensive to replace!!!
So, do you htink that a good coating of pledge will last all winter or will I need to periodically spray them.

Best case scenerio, would be to heavily spray on a rag and apply to real heavy and leave it that way till next spring, then buff off the excess.
I use Pledge that way on the front of the van hood, fenders, bumpers and mirrors when we travel long distances to keep the bugs from sticking, then when we get there it washes off with soap and water for the most part, polishes out when drying it off. It works super for the black fiberglass dash areas too on the boat. NASCAR teams have used Pledge, Non-Stick Cooking Spray and even Silicone over the years to prevent tire rubber and debris from sticking to the screen air inlets to make cleaning it off easier!

jkski
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks.... that is exactly what I was looking for.

Willski
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
That corrosion is possible of the wheels have been scrubbed or chipped and you are in salt water, but otherwise I can't see any reason other than a coating defect. If corrosion on chrome plated aluminum wheels is normal problem that anyone should encounter, then it would be a serious worldwide problem with all the factory and aftermarket chromed aluminum wheels that are being run this day and time.
The wheels on my Buick have been on it since 1999 and they put all kinds of salt and brine on our roads during winter storms and I've never had a problem. I do keep them clean inside and out using a bottle scrubber and your run of the mill biodegradable cleaner and soapy water and there is not a scratch on them or any scrubs or chips.

Dang No1, do you have some neon lights under that car?, maybe some curbfeelers? You got her all tricked out!

TMCNo1
09-30-2008, 06:01 AM
When your a pinstriper, ya gotta represent, when ya cruise the ghetto!:rolleyes::D

mayo93prostar
09-30-2008, 06:42 AM
1, the buick looks almost as good as the john deere! nice rides all the way around.

TMCNo1
09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
1, the buick looks almost as good as the john deere! nice rides all the way around.

Thanks, it's all in the details,

captain planet
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Pledge...never heard that one before but I like it. Thanks for the advice.

.....and it will have that lemon fresh scent!

jkski, do you even let that trailer go in the water????? Make things simple on yourself, shrink-wrap your trailer, put it in a bubble, and buy a second trailer to actually use! :D Or hire a crane at the beginning of the season to take your boat off the trailer and set in the lake and agin in the fall to put back on!

Sorry bro, when I read this I just couldn't help myself. :rolleyes: There might be a little jealousy in there because I love your boat.

CP

jkski
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
CP
No worries the ribbing is well deserved and accepted!!!
As for the trailer, I have considered all of your options and as I do not posses the capital with which to higher a crane or purchase an additional trailer, I simply must suffer with leaving it in a clean, dry garage when the boat is not on the trailer and thoroughly drying the trailer each time it comes out of the water....YES, that means it get's dried as soon as the boat is launched and then again when it is retrieved (ANAL RETENTIVE AND PROUD OF IT!)
You'll be happy to know that afte speaking with the fine folks at at Summit Racing, I have placed a bag of charcoal behind each wheel to remove any possible moisture from the wheels during storage.

TMCNo1
10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
You'll be happy to know that after speaking with the fine folks at at Summit Racing, I have placed a bag of charcoal behind each wheel to remove any possible moisture from the wheels during storage.

I've got to call Summit Racing and find out if they recommend Ground Round or Ground Chuck for hamburgers! Just joking!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

jkski
10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I've got to call Summit Racing and find out if they recommend Ground Round or Ground Chuck for hamburgers! Just joking!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

I certainly don't want to speak for them, however, I believe they will suggest you go with nothing but pure ANGUS Beef!!!

TMCNo1
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I certainly don't want to speak for them, however, I believe they will suggest you go with nothing but pure ANGUS Beef!!!

Angus, like the burger flipper and sign changer at Hardee's that accidently left the "G" out of ANGUS and is now working at Subway!
Nothing like a good old Charbroiled AN_US Burger!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_13_17.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

(http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/talking_preview.jhtml?i=F/1/416&partner=ZSYYYYYYYYUS)