PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper

76S&S
09-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm looking for a new commuter car and came across a 06 Mini that I'm considering.

Does anyone know anything good or bad about these cars. My primary interest is 37 mpg for my 80 mile commute.

Thanks for any input.

duckguy
09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
VW Jetta TDI, done and done

yippikaiyay
09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
We've got an 03' Cooper.
Love it. Its great on the highway, solid, tracks like its on rails, and passes gas stations! If I keep the speed down, we can get about 750km to 42 litres, (450mi., 10.5 US Gal).

coz
09-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm looking for a new commuter car and came across a 06 Mini that I'm considering.

Does anyone know anything good or bad about these cars. My primary interest is 37 mpg for my 80 mile commute.

Thanks for any input.

Here's good news for the car and bad news for the f-150 owners like me :eek:

http://www.monthofsaturdays.net/diary/graphics/uploaded/mini_vs_f150.jpg
MINI Cooper vs Ford F150
@ 40 mph

bigmac
09-27-2008, 08:44 PM
A Mini Cooper or a Honda Civic would be my first choice as a commuter. The Mini's are a blast to drive.

Jerseydave
09-27-2008, 09:20 PM
We're thinking about getting one too, maybe the Cooper S Clubman. Still fun to drive, more legroom in the rear seat area (regular mini has none) and they say it rides better too. I could put my wakeboard and Skyski in back for quick trips to the river. :)

Every owner I've talked to so far loves their mini cooper!

jimmer2880
09-28-2008, 11:47 AM
VW Jetta TDI, done and done

I'll 2nd the TDI. TDI stands for Turbo Diesel Injection. My '01 Jetta TDI with 175,000 miles still chirps 2nd gear. I cross 2 - 2,000 foot mountains on my way to work every day. My TDI is the first vehicle I've owned (including my old 99 F250 Diesel), where I didn't have to downshift going up the mountain.

On top of that, I'm getting 47 MPG's and get close to 700 miles per tank. As soon as we can afford it, my wife's suburban is going to turn into a Jetta, or Passat Wagon TDI.

bigmac
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
The Clubman looks nice...but I see they are also looking hard at a crossover

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Mini-Cooper-Moke-Crossover.jpg

WakePowell
09-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Here is what JD Powers has to say:

Reliability
The MINI comes with a four-year/50,000-mile limited warranty and full maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles.

The 2007 MINI Cooper receives praise for its satisfied-owner ratings and high resale value. Despite the MINI's rave customer reviews, auto writers are quick to note that reliability is questionable. "There's one big doubt about the MINI," Business Week says. "... Owners love it, even if it has some quality glitches." Similarly, TechnoRide reports, "One knock against the MINI Cooper has been its reliability. Consumer Reports said reliability was below average or poor for three of MINI's first five years, but it improved to average by 2006."

TX.X-30 fan
09-28-2008, 12:20 PM
A Mini Cooper or a Honda Civic would be my first choice as a commuter. The Mini's are a blast to drive.

My dad has had 2 of them, they are a blast to drive and handling is just nuts. it will make the long commute much more fun that's for sure.

And this is from a giant truck loving redneck. :D

76S&S
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
My dad has had 2 of them, they are a blast to drive and handling is just nuts. it will make the long commute much more fun that's for sure.

And this is from a giant truck loving redneck. :D

Well, my current commuter is a F350 Crew Cab Dually. I will have to keep it though, every man needs a truck.:D

rick s.
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I have an 04 MiniCooper S. It's been a great car, very reliable. The only issues I have had are driver and passenger window motor failures, which were addressed by the dealer under warranty. Other than that....NOTHING ELSE. One thing though, is that due to the short wheelbase the car is pretty "choppy" riding, although I have the sport suspension which makes it pretty tight.

Drove from the San Francisco Bay area to San Luis Obispo last weekend and averaged 34.5 mpg, at about 70 or 75 mph. You could probably do a little better going slower...but it's a Mini and it's really hard to go slower.

No doubt there are other cars that get better mileage, but none with more smiles per mile.

cbryan70
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
My parents have a 02 beetle with a deisle and it gets him about 45mpg going 80mph to work every day

Hammer
09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
We looked at one but quickly went the other way after noticing you can only fit two in the back seat. We have three kids so it was out. Sticking with our civic.