PDA

View Full Version : Scary Moment

SOCALX45
09-27-2008, 08:23 PM
So I got knocked out for the first time wakeboarding. I was doing a tantrum but for some reason my bored was more in front of me and it hit the rope sending me into an out of control spin and i landed upside down on my back...I passed out because i couldnt breath...the next thing i remember is the boat next to me and my friends jumping in pulling me up on the swim step...didnt even remember coming out to the lake it freaked me out....i layed down for about an hour and then i was back out there...I couldnt leave the lake feeling all wierd but i wasnt going big at all still had that crap in the back of my mind....hopefully next week ill keep charging hard and i dont start playin mind games with myself! anyone else been knocked out????:cry:

flipper
09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I've done it once footin', and a couple other times not on the water.

ShamrockIV
09-27-2008, 08:30 PM
i almost knocked myself out a month or so ago. i ordered a good helmet and i am back at it!!!

good luck!!!!

03 35th Anniversary
09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh yes!!!!!!!!

This is why I stick to footing.

TMCNo1
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I knew this young lady, and one time I..................................Nevermind!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif

bigmac
09-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I dunno about the helmet idea. I'm not sure it would prevent closed head injury in water. Don't get me wrong...there's likely no DOWN side to it. I wear one hydrofoiling, but the reason I do is in case the foil hits me in the head as well as to protect my eardrums.

Generally speaking, the reason for a helmet is to distribute the force of impact over a broader area and to absorb some of the energy by compressing the liner. That's good if we're talking about concrete, but hitting water would likely render those concepts pointless, IMHO, since the water is so much softer.

Willski
09-28-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't know how well the helemt works on water. Must be something to it. Most of the pros use it. I think slalom falls can be pretty severe too. I do some boarding, but mostly slalom and some footin. My slalom falls are the worst when they happen. Busted eardrum and sore neck/back have been the worst so far. I know however when you stick the board you go down pretty hard.

vision
09-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Glad to hear you are OK.

A helmet can help prevent ear drum rupture, but as to decreasing a concussion from water impact, the verdict is out. Concussions in the water are from your head suddenly stopping and your brain smacking the inside of your skull. Theoretically, the helmet could make that worse by increasing the surface area of your head causing your head to not sink as much in the water and stop faster. Since water is a displaceable media, a helmet with small spikes might lessen the impact by allowing your head to penetrate the water surface better, i.e. less of a sudden stop. Certainly any cushion inside the helmet would help.

The other concern with helmets is the potential for the "bucket effect" and neck injuries.

But I have not seen any scientific studies showing either positive or negative effects.

shredit21
09-28-2008, 02:57 AM
SoCal-
Good to hear you still charged it after you got beat up, but remember to be careful with head injuries dude, cuz, especially if you get a concussion of any sort, minor or severe, the docs don't really recommend any type of activity that could potentially render you eating from a straw for the rest of your life. I have knocked my self out while wakeboarding twice, and done it twice snowboarding too, like can't remember anything out, and have definitely learned my lesson. Not sure what affects it has on me now, being my last concussion was 2 years ago, but I have trouble remembering lots of simple things I should, but maybe it's just me. Anyhow, a helmet is probably a safe bet, but like the others have said, they probably don't have the same affect as if you bashed your head on a slider or something. Just be smart riding, and ease back into things, and don't rush back into riding too soon if you did indeed get a concussion.

JohnnyB
09-28-2008, 08:07 AM
SoCal....good to hear your OK. Not a good feeling at all.

I knocked myself silly a couple weeks ago on my slalom at 28 off. I didn't knock the wind out of myself, but was pretty disoriented. It was good for about 10-15min of a bad headache and about as long to figure out where I was beyond on a boat on the river with some friends...hard to describe the feeling where the present time was clear but the immediate past was really foggy. :confused:

I'll agree with bigmac. I don't think a helmet would've done any good as my head really just hit the water.

I think my tongue slapped my brain.

Lennyp04
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Concussions on the water suck! I had one behind a 2007 X-star with a little over 3000lbs in it. I think I landed on my back but all the people in the boat say I landed face first. Scariest part is coming back and not knowing which way is up and the edges of my eyes were black and everything was spinning. All I kept trying to do was get on my back so I didnt take water in.

As far as the helmet. I bought one because it sounded like a good idea at the time and then after reading many disputes about it, the helmet doesn't help to prevent a concussion. The helmet, if equipped with ear gaurds will help stop and eardrum rupture and splitting your head in half if your doing sliders and what not. As far as the concussion goes...your brain is still going to smack your skull with the same intensity as it would if you didn't have a helmet on. Needless to say, I dont wear the helmet anymore. And if you ever wondered why you dont see pros wear them when they aren't doing a comp, its because the helmet with the added weight has been known to cause "stuff" in the neck to tear when doing flips.

bigmac
09-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think the cushioning inside a typical watersports helmet would provide any better energy absorption on deceleration than the water that the head is hitting, rendering a helmet pretty much pointless for that purpose (prevention of closed head injury), IMHO.

TX.X-30 fan
09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Only reason is for hitting fixed objects or wakeskaters getting hit by the board.

flipper
09-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I always thought the helmet was to protect you if you found a way to hit yourself in the head with the board.....which I've managed some how a couple of times. Broke my nose once, split my ear the other time.

SOCALX45
09-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the remarks guys...

I didnt suffer a concussion though...I passed out because i got the wind knocked out of me and couldnt breath...Im an ICU RN and i thought i did have a concussion but never had the side effects of a concussion no headache, no sleepiness, but yeah i am taking it easy for awhile. Im going to work tommorrow might have one of the docs check me out!

No Skeez
09-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Did the EXACT same thing, except knocked myself out because my back hit the water, stopped my body, and my knee came in and hit me in the face.

Here is what I looked like after 37 stitches:

JohnnyB
09-28-2008, 09:07 PM
...now that we know you're OK, I'll mention that whenever I think of concussions, I think of that Snickers football commercial from a few years ago where the player that took a headshot is sitting on the bench and tells the trainers "I'm Batman!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoX-HkOcEuE

My brother got KO'd one time playing a soccer game and as the trainer was waving the smelling salts in front of his face, he tried to eat them.....

JohnnyB
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Did the EXACT same thing, except knocked myself out because my back hit the water, stopped my body, and my knee came in and hit me in the face.

Here is what I looked like after 37 stitches:

Mother.......

OUCH!!!!

Dude, that's rough stuff.