PDA

View Full Version : Wired Remote for Clarion CMD3

Gamble
09-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Guys, I have the CMD 3 Clarion and I noticed today there is a short black wire with a plug on the back of the head unit (it's like a 4-6 pin plug) that I believe is for a wired remote. Does anyone know where I can obtain one? thanks in advance.

Gamble
09-27-2008, 10:10 PM
surely someone knows where I can find one of these things!!!!!

chestech
09-28-2008, 12:59 AM
For the CMD 4, I have seen them on crutchfield. I don't know if it will work for the 3.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CMD4/Clarion-CMD4.html?tp=1721&tab=other_items&viewAll=True#Remote%20Controls

hester
09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
surely someone knows where I can find one of these things!!!!!

they're sold everywhere the problem is finding the right one. documentation on compatibility is poor. the cmd 3 doesn't even exist at the clarion website.

assuming the cmd 3 is a little older model then the remote I just bought might work. check the pictures for pin locations.

i've got the M5675 and bought the CMRC2 remote and the extension cable M101RXC. bought mine on ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/hifiaudioonline they were both sealed new, shipped quickly and work great.

hope this helps.

hester
09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
i installed mine in place of the stock clock. you will need a ground wire and illumination lead which are both there for the clock.

Gamble
09-28-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks for all the help and the pictures. The plug on the back of mine is black plastic, and I need to double check the pin locations. I think by looking at your pics yours is a metal housed plug, not that it matters, but that may have an impact on the fitment. I can't find a remote anywhere online........I think I looked long enough and found the end of the internet!

Gamble
09-28-2008, 12:19 PM
What about plugging an ipod into the CMD 3...does anyone know where I can do that, or if I need to order a part to make it work?

JohnE
09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
What about plugging an ipod into the CMD 3...does anyone know where I can do that, or if I need to order a part to make it work?

You want to see if there is a pair of RCA leads for an auxiliary input and you can plug the ipod into them with a $5 cable.

Gamble
09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
cool thanks John........there's a pair of RCA plugs that aren't being used........I think one pair goes to the amp.....but there's another pair left and I don't know if they are inputs or outputs.........what kind of cable would I need to buy if these rca's will work?

mark g
09-28-2008, 03:20 PM
dont know if it helps the remote part number is MR301RC, just had a look on ebay there is a few in germany if you look worldwide although seem a little expensive ????

mark g
09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
EBAY
CLARION CMRC1-BSS MARINE REMOTE CONTROL w/ LCD DISPLAY
Item number: 130215575846

Just looking around for you found this it does say suits your setup.

Gamble
09-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Cool! thanks Mark!!!!

Andyg
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I found this remote compatibility chart on the Clarion website a few months ago.

Gamble
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks Andy! I looked up the one above on ebay and it's for a cmd 4........that's the problem I've been having.......finding one that'll work with the cmd 3

Andyg
09-28-2008, 08:18 PM
According to the remote chart above if a remote works on a CMD4 then it will work on and XMD3.

Gamble
09-28-2008, 09:07 PM
yep, that's what it looks like on that spreadsheet thing........do you know what all the other codes mean on that sheet?

Gamble
09-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Andy, I think I answered my own question.......those codes are different model remotes. Do you know if the remote with the LCD display requires additional wiring, or will it all work when it's plugged into the unit?

Andyg
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
All of the remotes with displays that say they work for the XMD-3 will have a fully functional display once it is connnected. There is no additional wiring required to get the display to work. You will need to ground one of the terminals and connect a wire from the Nav/Anchor switch to the terminal on the back if you want the remote backlight to work when the Nav or Anchor lights are on. Depending on the year of your boat those wires may already be run to the stock remote location.

JohnE
09-29-2008, 09:41 AM
cool thanks John........there's a pair of RCA plugs that aren't being used........I think one pair goes to the amp.....but there's another pair left and I don't know if they are inputs or outputs.........what kind of cable would I need to buy if these rca's will work?

I don't know if those are line level amp outputs or inputs. But it's a $5 cable from radio shack with a small pin to connect to your ipod and a pair of RCA's on the other end. I've just drilled a hole through the glove compartment and plugged into the radio. Or you could get a longer cable and run to the driver side. I prefer the ipod in the glove box, though.

Gamble
09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Great, thanks John! Andy, in reference to the backlight on the remote.......I take it there are the spots on the remote that are marked to hook up the wires to activate the backlight function? If I don't do that, the remote will function properly, but will lack being backlit. I guess it won't be too much work to complete the wiring! Do you know what is involved to mount one on the back of the boat? I have a hard time makin' a hole in the boat that size! thanks for all the help!

Gamble
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Another dumb question here..........since I don't know if the RCA's on the head unit are input or output.......if I hook up an ipod to it........do I run the risk of damaging the unit (either the head unit or ipod) if they are the wrong ones?

Andyg
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Great, thanks John! Andy, in reference to the backlight on the remote.......I take it there are the spots on the remote that are marked to hook up the wires to activate the backlight function? If I don't do that, the remote will function properly, but will lack being backlit. I guess it won't be too much work to complete the wiring! Do you know what is involved to mount one on the back of the boat? I have a hard time makin' a hole in the boat that size! thanks for all the help!

The backlight is totally optional. If it is not wired for the backlight the remote will work properly, minus the backlight of course. You will apply a ground wire to one of the screws that come out of the back of the remote in between the two nuts. Then there is a flat terminal that the backlight power connects to. I don't know if they are labelled per say, but on pages 9 and 10 of the installation manual shows it in this link. (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/020/020CMRC1.PDF)

I installed a remote on the back of my 197 and it isn't to bad. The hardest part is the pucker factor that comes with drilling a large hole in the boat. You will need a y-cable and a 24 ft extension cable (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=020CMRC1&search=clarion+remote&tp=1776&tab=other_items&viewAll=True#Cables%20and%20Adapters)so that you can have two remotes working the head unit.

As for what RCA is what on the back of the radio. I am pretty sure the CMD4 is the same as the XMD3 when it comes to the RCAs and the wiring diagram. Here is the link to the installation manual for the CMD4 that identifies what each RCA is. (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/420/778/CMD4(Install),0.pdf) Based on this that would mean that the wire color of the RCAs should be RED for the Aux Input.

One thing to note about hooking up an iPod to the XMD3 is that there is an input senstitivty that needs to be set. I would suggest setting it to "High" for an iPod. You can see how do adjust the input sensitivity on page 15 of the XMD3 Owners Manual in this link. (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/552/388/XMD3.pdf)

Good luck with the install.

andyg

Gamble
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks so much Andy for all your help! I'm trying to figure which remote would work best on the back of the boat---one with a LCD display or without. I'm also looking at putting a remote near the dash that would have the LCD function. The previous owner installed the head unit on the port side of the walkway that leads to the front of the boat, and it hinders the ability to see it and operate it. It works fine, and I'll leave it there due to not wanting a huge hole, but if I put a remote near the driver seat and 1 on the back it should work fine. I was thinking of putting one on the transom w/o the display. I figured at most I'd want to advance a CD or change the station, and it'd work w/o a display. Any thoughts? What did you do on yours and what is involved to install it on the back.......do you have to pull a bunch of stuff out of the way prior to drilling. I have a 2001 PS 209. Thanks again for all the help and advice, Mike.

mark g
09-29-2008, 02:28 PM
sorry gamble got the numbers mixed up in the search good look with the remote though sure you will find one

Gamble
09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Mark, you're right on the money, that one will work........after cross referencing things w/the spreadsheet, there are a bunch of remotes that will work, and the one you mentioned is one of them.........thanks for the help!

Andyg
09-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks so much Andy for all your help! I'm trying to figure which remote would work best on the back of the boat---one with a LCD display or without. I'm also looking at putting a remote near the dash that would have the LCD function. The previous owner installed the head unit on the port side of the walkway that leads to the front of the boat, and it hinders the ability to see it and operate it. It works fine, and I'll leave it there due to not wanting a huge hole, but if I put a remote near the driver seat and 1 on the back it should work fine. I was thinking of putting one on the transom w/o the display. I figured at most I'd want to advance a CD or change the station, and it'd work w/o a display. Any thoughts? What did you do on yours and what is involved to install it on the back.......do you have to pull a bunch of stuff out of the way prior to drilling. I have a 2001 PS 209. Thanks again for all the help and advice, Mike.

My 197 came stock from the factory with the non-LCD display remote. I installed the larger remote with the LCD display. Then I took the stock remote without the display and installed it in the stern of the boat. I would probably have put the non-display version in back regardless for the same reasons you mentioned. One other reason was fear that the LCD display might not be as water proof.

On my 197 it was easy to access the area by removing the carpeted panels in the ski locker. Besides the carpeted panels I didn't have to remove anything to install the remote. It does get a little tight in there when you try to tighten the screws that hold the remote in place. Just make sure to triple check the location location before you drill the hole making sure there is enough room inside the hull for the backside of the remote.

andyg

dwe
09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I have an xmd3 and have the cmcr1 (?) lcd remote mentioned above. Plugs right in, but you'll need the extension cable probably.

Gamble
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
thanks for all the help guys.......I have the non-display on the way and plan on doing it soon......just not looking forward to poking a hole in the bote!!

rem_pss308
09-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Crutchfield.com or cheaper at etronics.com