PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Ballast Tanks????

Nords
09-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first year with my 2008 X2. I can't say enough good things about it, I love it. Unfortunately it is time to start thinking about winterization. My question is, what is the best way to winterize the ballast tanks???? If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Roonie's
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
very nice colors......

anyway take this at face value as I have yet to do it myself on my 07 X2. What I would do is have the ballast suck up from a bucket in RV antifreeze. I would see if I could take the inlet hose and place it in the bucket. Suck up a couple of gallons on all tanks. Then empty them. That is what I would do and I think it follows what my dealer does.

bturner2
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
You may want to put this in the Maintainence area of the forum so more people will see it. I just happened to be browsing the site and saw it by chance. Would love to see what people recommend. I'm sure there needs to be something done so all the pumps and lines don't freeze in the winter. My boat doesn't have a ballast system but I have a friend with one that would like me to help him with it. BTW nice X2.

Roonie's
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Here is the official description of how to winterize your ballast tanks from owners manual (different for prostars)......

1. Locate the shut off valve.

2. Remove the winterization cap located immediately adjacent to the shut-off valve. Attach a water hose to the "T" and place the other end in a gallon of non toxic, RV-type anti-freeze.

3. Turn on one pump to fill and pump until anti-freeze comes out the thru hull. Then shut off.

4. repeat on all pumps.

5. after placing anti-freeze in all three pumps, turn all pumps to fill and pump antifreeze into the tanks and/or bags.

Jerseydave
09-27-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't understand step "3", how does the A/F come out of the thru-hull after going through the tank? Wouldn't that mean the tank is getting filled too?

I just perform steps 1,2 and 5. I then pull the hoses off both sides of the pump and let them drain out, leave hoses off until spring then re-install.

vision
09-27-2008, 10:07 AM
For 07 and newer boats, use a hose and gravity to run anti-freeze into each of the 3 ballast overflow through hulls near the rub rail and run the ballast pumps on empty to suck anti-freeze through the lines.

Roonie's
09-27-2008, 10:25 AM
now that is an awesome idea and my vote for the easiest so far........

Roonie's
09-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't understand step "3", how does the A/F come out of the thru-hull after going through the tank? Wouldn't that mean the tank is getting filled too?

I just perform steps 1,2 and 5. I then pull the hoses off both sides of the pump and let them drain out, leave hoses off until spring then re-install.

I agree step three was confusing to me too.. I didn't understand it fully. Aldo wouldn't work for me as I have the fly high system. Love the idea of putting it through the overflow lines and then just hitting empty.

1boarder
09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
vision, that is what I understood as well. Looking forward to this method as opposed to the other way. Make sure you find the ballast overflow and not the bilge pump discharge.

vision
09-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Make sure you find the ballast overflow and not the bilge pump discharge.

Good point!

It is much easier than the method we used for the older models.

Eagle Lake Rebel
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I have the service advisory from MC that covers ballast tank winterizing for all 07'-08' models. Anyone that needs a copy can shoot me a PM & I'll get it to you via fax or e-mail. It is a very simple task and it is the ONLY thing I like about the ballast tanks draining out the bottom of the boat vs. out the side. Please include your e-mail address or fax # in the PM.

Nords
09-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone it's greatly appreciated and very infomative. I hope all goes well with the winterization.

Sodar
09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
For 07 and newer boats, use a hose and gravity to run anti-freeze into each of the 3 ballast overflow through hulls near the rub rail and run the ballast pumps on empty to suck anti-freeze through the lines.

This is how it is done at the factory. They just have a hose to pump antifreeze into the tanks and then empty them.

Jim
09-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I like it!

BrushyCreekXS
11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi...first post...I just winterized my 06 XSTAR engine...it sits on a lift in my boat house for the winter, and its pretty difficult to get to the ballast tank intakes. Can I winterize the 06 model through the overflow as this thread describes for the 07?

Thanks.

Jerseydave
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi...first post...I just winterized my 06 XSTAR engine...it sits on a lift in my boat house for the winter, and its pretty difficult to get to the ballast tank intakes. Can I winterize the 06 model through the overflow as this thread describes for the 07?

Thanks.

Yours should be the same as my '05 X-star, there should be a garden hose connection behind the engine on top of the ballast manifold. I just used a piece of a garden hose and pour a/f into it while switching each pump on one at a time.

OR

You should be able to pour a/f through the overflow lines a hit empty on each switch until a/f comes out. Might have to use more a/f this way, but I'm not sure how much.

jgarner
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Here is the procedure to winterize your ballast tank. I have a 2008 X2 and did mine today.

BrushyCreekXS
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going back down this weekend to finish the job for the ballast system.

Just as a general question, I drained the water from the manifolds by pulling hoses off at the tee below the manifolds and below the transmission cooler (I did not notice a screw in plug on the underside of the manifold as I saw in a recent article), and then removed the knock sensors on both sides of the block and then replaced and sucked 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in through the main intake hose. This was sufficient to have the fluid come out the exhaust ports at the transom.

Is it necessary to drain the water first in the future or could you just use more antifreeze and displace the water versus draining it first?

Thanks.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I would check with Freddy on this.

BrushyCreekXS
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Sorry, new to the site....who is Freddy??

EarlyriserX9
01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey guys. Sorry to bother TT with another winterization situation, but I'm kinda nervous. I'm in South Carolina, where many of my friends just use a shop light to keep their blocks from freezing, as the weather is normally pretty mild. I on the other hand, pulled the batteries, topped off the tank, and drained all the water out of the motor and hoses. What I neglected was the ballast system. I know a lot of guys that never winterize their ballast system. So a month ago when I used the ballast for the last time, I pumped all the water out and that was it. Since it has been in the teens for the last two nights, I got really nervous. So I went out tonight and filled the back ballast bag with a gallon of RV Antifreeze, reinstalled one of the batteries, and flipped the switch to empty. I could hear the pump running, but no antifreeze pumped out the sides. I figured there must be some ice in the lines from the residual water that was left from our last use. To make sure I was safe, I went ahead and pulled both pumps out.

Which leads me to my question... Do you guys think my pumps are going to be ruined? At this point is there anything else I can do?

Sorry for the long post.:confused:

vision
01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I would be surprised if your pumps are not fine.

I do not know the bags in the X9. Is a gallon enough to make sure fluid reaches the empty port? If you have check valves in the empty hoses, they may simply be frozen shut.

DoubleE
10-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Here is the procedure to winterize your ballast tank. I have a 2008 X2 and did mine today.

Great doc, but anybody know what the differences are from this 2008 doc and an 2006 X-2, if any?

Thanks!

medicmoose
10-23-2012, 07:06 AM

That's how I have done mine for the past 3 years....suck it through the vent on the side of the boat (via gravity and with the switch turned to "empty") and wait till it comes out the bottom of the boat. Done in 10 mins.

JulioX2
10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
This sounds like an excellent tutorial video for someone to produce and upload to youtube or something. Just suggesting :)

jgraham37128
10-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok, I tried this yesterday and really didn't have much success. 1st thing was it kept pouring the antifreeze back out. I did pour it into the correct hole too. The second thing was when I turned the pumps to empty nothing came on. I was told it had something to do with the timers? Is there a way to reset my timers, I've noticed I've always had a hard time with the center one cutting off. I would have to flip back to empty then back to fill to get it to fill completely.

kenk
10-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Use a water hose in the vent hole and prime with water until you see it coming out of bottom pickup. After it is primed, switch to the antifreeze and it will suck it in easily. Stop after you see it coming out of the bottom pickup.

swb911
10-23-2012, 06:32 PM
A few things to check. The motors are protected so they don't kill your battery. So if the battery is <11.?v the motors won't turn. Try hooking a charger to the battery. A gallon is plenty for each tank, first make sure it's the correct vent(your finger will fit all the way in, otherwise it's a bilge outlet) then a long funnel or a long hose so the bottle of AF is higher than the boat. Should go no prob. The fluids drain out the pick ups below.

DoubleE
10-29-2012, 11:58 AM
In my 2006 X2, I was successful in using the overflow ports BUT it was frustrating at 1st because I went through 1 gallon of anti-freeze on 1 and 2 gallons on the other and it still wasn't emptying out the rear ports so I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone:

1st, I have fat sacs added in-line on the overflow lines from the hard tanks, so I had to lift/move them around to make sure the anti-freeze made it down into the hard tanks, but that still didn't do it. Then, out of frustration, I pulled the boat off the flat street up onto my angled up drive way and when I hit empty then I finally got the pink stuff to shoot out the respective rear ports!

My only remaining question/concern is with this method of taking in the a.f. in the overflow ports near the rub rail and then emptying it out the other ports near the rub rail, does that mean we don't have to worry about the lines from the intake in the bottom of the boat to block behind the manifold that supplies all 3 ballast pumps?

If we do have to worry, what's the best way? Do I use the fake-lake on the ballast intake with a hose into a 5 gallon pail? But now that I'm writing this, why don't I just do this from the get-go, hit fill on a pump for a few seconds until I can hit empty and see pink? Repeating for the other 2 pumps. (However, with only 1 fake-lake I couldn't have it on the engine water intake, but I'm guessing I could get away with it, no?)

Open to all thoughts/suggestions...