PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy to use for depth finder transducer?

bwilson
09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
My depth finder transducer came loose and I need to re-attach it.
Anyone suggest a specific epoxy to re-attach it, preferably something that can be purchased locally.

JimN
09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
5 minute works fine but both surfaces need to be clean, just like any other. If the old spot worked, wipe the old epoxy and the bottom of the puck with acetone or lacquer thinner and stick it down in the same place. Use duct tape or masking tape to hold it in place.

Skipper
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
The instructions with my transducer suggested using a marine adhesive like 4200 or 5200 instead of epoxy. I used 5200 on my '87 and it was trouble free.

JimN
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
That's a new one for me. They used to ship with epoxy and it was just regular 2 part.

cbryan70
09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Jim your slipping.......

cbryan70
09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
You forget to take your meds this morning?

JimN
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
How am I slipping? I have never seen a depth gauge that recommended 3M 4200 or 5200. They have all come with epoxy. I haven't had problems with it and it sets up a helluva lot faster than the 3M stuff.

jraben8
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I tried 5200 on my '87 and it wouldn't read anything. 3M said it had to do with the bubbles that are in the mixture.

I used regular 5 minute epoxy with masking tape and it held over 5 years.

Skipper
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I installed a Faria depth sounder. The transducer was mounted in the bilge. I was required to attach a mounting ring to the hull. To install the actual transducer I was required to add a certain amount of mineral oil before locking the transducer into place on the mounting ring. Between the bottom of the transducer and the hull of the boat was a pool of mineral oil. The mounting ring had nothing to do with the reading - it just held the the transducer. The transducer mounting instructions suggested using silicone or marine adhesives. I used 5200 and it worked just fine.

TMCNo1
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I just re-read my installation instructions for our Telflex depth finder and it said to use a good grade of 2 part epoxy and I used the 5 minute and that was 8 years ago. I just cleaned the hull mounting area and the bottom of the transducer with lacquer thinner and made sure any air bubbles were squeezed out per the instructions.

lav
09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
The Hawk-Eye by nocross recomends Two part clear slow cure epoxy.

http://www.norcrossmarine.com/customer_service/Manuals/8000-01(GI).pdf

B-rad
09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I went to my local marine store, (mainly bass boats) they had the epoxy in single use packages , cut the tops squeeze them out together, mix and done. It was less than five dollars.

babymoore3
02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Suggestion - don't use epoxy - use adhesive. Uniden in hull depth finder that doesn't work. Uniden asked me to send it back after a year to determine the issue. JB weld isn't going to come off the inner hull very easy. I debate whether to remove or not....

Like I said, use adhesive, you can get it off in the future if needed to re-apply.

JimN
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Most depth finders come with epoxy. If the puck isn't scuffed before gluing it down, a light tap om the side will dislodge it from the glue.

babymoore3
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Jim,
Good point, after talking to some old airplane mechanics who used JB weld for sealing up bullet holes in the sheet metal, they said it is tougher than nails but if you take a sharp cheisel to it, it may pop right off. It did! I lost a tad of fiberglass filler - 'bought the size of a BB. Gonna try for a different location and see how that works (by the stuffing box as mentioned in our threads).

JimN
06-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Jim,
Good point, after talking to some old airplane mechanics who used JB weld for sealing up bullet holes in the sheet metal, they said it is tougher than nails but if you take a sharp cheisel to it, it may pop right off. It did! I lost a tad of fiberglass filler - 'bought the size of a BB. Gonna try for a different location and see how that works (by the stuffing box as mentioned in our threads).

If you're careful, the rest of the epoxy should peel off as long as the puck is smooth.