PDA

View Full Version : 2002 ProStar 197 Fat Sack / Pump

kyroski
05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know where the pump for the fat sack is located on a 2002 ProStar 197 (our fat sack is under the rear seat)? Our pump worked somewhat erratically the first summer, and now does not work at all. The switch is located to the right of the driver, under the throttle. I've called Master Craft but haven't yet gotten an answer from them, though they did mention a Retrofit kit. Does anyone know anything about this Retrofit? We do not live near a dealer & would like to either do the work ourselves or have the guys at the marina do the work.

erkoehler
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Sorry, can't help you with the question but welcome to the board.

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Welcome and somebody can help...

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Welcome. I don't know the precise answer to your question, but you might want to follow the raw water hose from the inlet and see if the pump is somewhere in that chain.

Ric
05-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome
dig deep on this site for a buncha pics and sketches of Crdickey's boat where he installed mc ballast system in a 197.
he can tell you where it is and how it's mounted.... I dont know

DanC
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know where the pump for the fat sack is located on a 2002 ProStar 197 (our fat sack is under the rear seat)? Our pump worked somewhat erratically the first summer, and now does not work at all. The switch is located to the right of the driver, under the throttle. I've called Master Craft but haven't yet gotten an answer from them, though they did mention a Retrofit kit. Does anyone know anything about this Retrofit? We do not live near a dealer & would like to either do the work ourselves or have the guys at the marina do the work.
Depends on who installed your ballast system. The pump should be mounted in the middle of the transom behind the carpet panel.
There is a kit that is a better impeller and coated housing for less friction. This is a good thing and probably worth the money if you already have to replace the pump.
The real problem is that after sitting dry for awhile, the impeller sticks a little. The start up current on these pumps is 20 amps (12 amps steady state running current) and is more for a dry/unlubricated impeller. Somewhere, Mastercraft did not use large enough wire or the correct connectors to handle this higher current draw and thus the ballast pump motor is current limited and does not get enough power to break the impeller loose. Then your motor burns up. :cry: I believe the correct fix is to replace the wire in the pump circuit with a larger gauge and/or a shorter run.

I am assuming you have eliminated the switch and circuit breaker as the source of your problem.

/I lubricate my pumps at the beginning of the season and if they have not been run for more than a month :twocents:

kyroski
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - we'll give them a try.