PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Bilge Pump Question

Gamble
09-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Quck question guys......boat is a 2001 PS 209. I have a switch on the dash for the bilge pump. Up is on constant and down is automatic. When in the up position, pump works and light on switch illuminates. When in the auto mode, nothing happens and red light on switch doesnt come on. I looked at/near the pump below the motor. There appears to be some gadget around the pump that could be the necessary things to activate pump if it is in the auto mode and detects water. Would this seem probable? If so, if it detects water and activates the pump, would the switch then illuminate? It's a factory rocker switch, and I can only assume the reason it doesn't work in auto mode is b/c I haven't had any water in the bilge to activate the pump when the switch is in auto mode. Any thoughts? Did these boats come equipped with the auto bilge feature? I wish I could post a pic of what I see around the bilge pump. I can only assume it is the part needed to make it operate when in the auto mode, Thanks guys.

DanC
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes there is a float switch on the pump. When water raises the bilge float switch, the pump will come on and the light on the dash switch will come on. When the water in the bilge drops, the pump will turn off and the light in the dash switch will turn off.

Gamble
09-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Dan, you're a good man! I thought that was the way it worked, but wasn't sure. I'm assuming when one leaves there boat in the water over time, they can leave the switch in the auto mode, so in the event water enters, the pump kicks on. I wanted to fill the boat and see if the pump activated, but didn't see the need to put that much water in the bottom of the boat! thanks for the quick reply!

ProTour X9
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes there is a float switch on the pump. When water raises the bilge float switch, the pump will come on and the light on the dash switch will come on. When the water in the bilge drops, the pump will turn off and the light in the dash switch will turn off.

Out of curiosity, can the bilge float switch be adjusted? Just wondering.

wakeX2wake
09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
from the ones i've seen... no not really... but i've only replaced the floating switch in a 94 maristar 225vrs and a 94 prostar 205... i haven't even looked that closely on my 07... i kind of wish mine would kick on sooner than it does but who cares i got a plug to drain through when i'm done... my buddys SANTE stays pretty much bone dry though

Abe
09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
DanC is spot on. I would though physically check that it works by gently pulling up the tip of the float switch "you will hear a buzzing sound" and also check that it doesn't stick in the up" position as this will drain your battery and can cause water to flood your engine compartment. Ive had the float switch stick on me before, but luckily not too much damage done apart from a flat battery.

Chicago190
09-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Quck question guys......boat is a 2001 PS 209. I have a switch on the dash for the bilge pump. Up is on constant and down is automatic. When in the up position, pump works and light on switch illuminates. When in the auto mode, nothing happens and red light on switch doesnt come on. I looked at/near the pump below the motor. There appears to be some gadget around the pump that could be the necessary things to activate pump if it is in the auto mode and detects water. Would this seem probable? If so, if it detects water and activates the pump, would the switch then illuminate? It's a factory rocker switch, and I can only assume the reason it doesn't work in auto mode is b/c I haven't had any water in the bilge to activate the pump when the switch is in auto mode. Any thoughts? Did these boats come equipped with the auto bilge feature? I wish I could post a pic of what I see around the bilge pump. I can only assume it is the part needed to make it operate when in the auto mode, Thanks guys.

Assuming they didn't change the design, if you look below the engine there will be a pump (mine is yellow) and a white lever next to it. That is the float switch which activates the pump when enough water is in it. To see if it works, just lift the float and see if the pump turns on.

denverd1
09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
pry a little more V in the SANTE hull than in our MCs FWIW.

Gamble
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Mine is yellow too.......I didn't see the white float switch though......there are a few gray plugs, or at least they look like plugs around the yellow pump. I'll look more closely when I get the boat home next.

WTRSK1R
09-24-2008, 07:28 PM
The newer boats have the float switch integrated in the pump. My '92 had the seperate switch, but my '04 has the integrated one. On my '92 the light on the switch stayed on even when in auto. Used to make me nervous that it was going to drain the battery just keeping the stupid light lit. The 04 only lights when the pump kicks in. Much better for my peace of mind when leaving the boat in the water on a rainy evening.

rem_pss308
09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
MIne is Yellow too.
It has two wires going to it, one is marked Auto.

I have yet been able to test it. ( thought about filling the hull )

I liked the old style that you could pull up.

anyone know how to test the yellow one ( intergrated )

Gamble
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't find anything to pull up in mine either.........I'm assuming the one we have may have an integrated float in it......so the only way to tell is fill it with water.