PDA

View Full Version : PS 190 Gear Shifter Sticking

Abe
09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Was out at the weekend and noticed while driving my MC PS 190 (1990) that when slowing down the shifter was jamming slightly between Idle and neutral position, It wasn't mega jamming but hat to use a little more force to get into neutral position and a little worrying all the same. The Engine (ford 351) is new and would think the shifter is original. Could the problem be with the shifter or the cable. I am new to this boat and all replies are greatly appreciated.
Abe

Jim@BAWS
09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Was out at the weekend and noticed while driving my MC PS 190 (1990) that when slowing down the shifter was jamming slightly between Idle and neutral position, It wasn't mega jamming but hat to use a little more force to get into neutral position and a little worrying all the same. The Engine (ford 351) is new and would think the shifter is original. Could the problem be with the shifter or the cable. I am new to this boat and all replies are greatly appreciated.
Abe

Time for a cable...also grease in your shift mech.

Jim@BAWS

Abe
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks Jim, Is This an easy task. I,m not that mechanicaly minded but I can do basic services. Do You know of a link (or anyone else thats reading this thread) that can give me some pointers also how easy is the shifter to come off/on. Thanks again guys.

cmw
09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not trying to threadjack, but I also have a 1990 and was wondering how to grease the throttle mechanism.:confused:

mayo93prostar
09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
On my old 87 prostar I took my throttle shift mechanism off of the gunnel, removed it from the cables, and totally taken it apart and lubed it with the same waterproof grease used for trailer wheel bearings. It made a big difference. It is not that difficult to do. IIRC, you loosen the screws on the side of the unit and it drops down from the side gunnel and then you can see how to detach cables. There is a ball and spring inside of it that gives you that "click" in and out of neutral. Be carefull not to loose these pieces. Sorry, I did not take any picks when I did it.

Abe
09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
On my old 87 prostar I took my throttle shift mechanism off of the gunnel, removed it from the cables, and totally taken it apart and lubed it with the same waterproof grease used for trailer wheel bearings. It made a big difference. It is not that difficult to do. IIRC, you loosen the screws on the side of the unit and it drops down from the side gunnel and then you can see how to detach cables. There is a ball and spring inside of it that gives you that "click" in and out of neutral. Be carefull not to loose these pieces. Sorry, I did not take any picks when I did it.

Mayo, I will give That a go and see how I get on. Cheers:cool: