PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Why kind of gloves are you slalom guys and gals wearing?

MarkP
05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Cheap old worn out ¾ finger gloves. That’s one of the things I will need to address this spring. I like the ¾ finger gloves though

bcampbe7
05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Great thread Brian...
I told my wife I wanted some gloves for my B-day but I am not sure what kind to get. I will be watching this thread closely. :cool:

PeteS
05-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I really like The Claw from Connelly. Mine have kevlar palms which start out somewhat abbrasive, but once you break them in get nice and soft. They have precurved fingers, and fit very well. I've tried three different makes and models, and these are by far my favorites. Highly reccomended!

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
BriEOD, mine are HO Sports, but I will have to look to see which type.

ski_king
05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I use a cheap pair of Ski Limited gloves. I tend to lose them long before they are wore out. Thinking of trying a pair I seen a Wal-Mart for $10.

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I have been wearing a set of O'Brien X-grip full finger for that last 2-3 years. But, they are getting really worn and I'm wearing a pair of undergloves beneath them. I saw in Water Ski Mag they had a good write up on the HO Icon. http://www.hosports.com/flashindex1.htm

MarkP
05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I use a cheap pair of Ski Limited gloves. I tend to lose them long before they are wore out. Thinking of trying a pair I seen a Wal-Mart for $10.
I’m torn between getting another pair of “disposable” gloves again or looking for a good pair..

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:25 PM
You need a good pair to go with your "good" ski.

Crash
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Using a pair of basic Overton's, however I tried a pair of Clinchers with the dollrod at the finger tips and they seemed cool. Contemplating claiming the old gloves don't fit (...must aquit) and getting new ones.

SteveO
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I bought some new HO gloves late last year. I think they are the icon. They have kevlar (or kevlar like) palms, a buckle vs velcro mid back hand and have been great so far. Before that, I had a pair of straight line with kevlar palms as well, that lasted a long time. Paying for the higher end gloves are a smart spend in my book.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I am on two seasons with the old Overtons Proskins. They are great gloves, and when they stopped making them around last year, I grabbed an extra pair, which I have not yet used. Should be a while before I need to shop for new gloves. Anybody tried the replacement Gladiator Proskins from overtons.

Before that, I was using the HO Talon kevlar gloves. Good grip, but a pain to get on. Some of my relatives love the clinchers, but I hold the rope in my fingers and have trouble with my grip with these gloves.

jayocheskey
05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I've got the HO Sports gloves with two velcro straps. Got 'em at Academy Sports a few years back for like $25. Good gloves.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Are these the ones that say "World Cup" on them or are they the blue ones?

PeteS
05-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Although providing great grip, I've been warned on the Clinchers. People have claimed torn muscles in their arms due to the glove not releasing when necesssary.

Also if you are making one-handed turns, I've also heard the release can sometimes be difficult on your hand letting go. I don't want to talk anyone out of getting them, because they do limit fatigue on the hands and arms so you can ski longer, but I've been told be careful.

tex
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
None-Naked!

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Tex--You slalom naked; that's hardcore dude.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Dam Texas boys iz tough. Neck-id and tough.:worthy: .

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I tried it once. Too much drag.

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Tellin' fish stories again Doug? Uh-huh.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
The fish I caught that day weren't very big so I turned them loose.

/Texas Trollin'

LakePirate
05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a pair of masterline that I picked up in Orlando at Performance. The k-palm and pre-curved finger work well for me. The same model is sold by several companies so unless it has to say KD or HO on it find a model that you like and shop price and cross-reference the make. I bought a pair of clinchers, I am not smart enough to figure them out. My brother is a big fan of those grippie deals that you use with the special handle.

LakePirate
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
The fish I caught that day weren't very big so I turned them loose.

/Texas Trollin'

small mouths?

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, small for Texas. In GA, they'd give out trophies for 'em. ;)

LakePirate
05-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Touché....

edwin
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Masterline kevlar gloves work great for me. As someone else mentioned, spending a few extra $$$'s is worth it in my book. Can't recall the last time I had blisters from skiing.

I also have a pair of Straightline greptile gloves that fit great but don't work well without the handle to match.

Ric
05-02-2005, 06:22 PM
I ski the kevlar HO gloves (forgot the name) have a red pair and a blue pair and don't really know the difference in the two
I used to ski clinchers but as mentioned here I kept having trouble with them getting hung up on the release or missing the grab to come back across so I slowly broke away from them. The clinchers are definitely a crutch and it takes some getting used to a normal glove again.

Crash
05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Regarding the Clinchers, didn't even think about the release when trying them on...

André
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I'll third the Masterline Kevlar pre curved.Very good grip and seems very resistant so far.Had success too with the O'Brien Amara series but not close to the Masterline and as someone said ,you can find them under different labels.(KD for sure)
Bought a pair of Connelly 2 years ago and ripped them in the same week!Never again.

Cloaked
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Cheap old worn out ¾ finger gloves. That’s one of the things I will need to address this spring. I like the ¾ finger gloves though

I have always worn 3/4 finger gloves. I have even cut up good gloves for the freedom of the exposed ends. I picked this up many years ago when learning to trick, in that I could feel the handle on my fingers while passing it from hand to hand / front to back, etc. Been doing that ever since.

kpickett
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I use Hyperlite Moto gloves - same ones Drew Ross uses in his slalom DVD. They have been great for a year and a half. They're starting to show some wear. Only problem I've found is that the kevlar palm is rough if you're wiping water out of your eyes.

ski36short
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I just switched from the Masterline Kevlars to the Amara gloves last year. I like them - the Kevlar seemed to bunch up too much in my palms. The Amara is just right.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I like an amara palmed glove, too. Some people worry that the kevlar wears on the handle with regular use. I never had a problem though.

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 06:38 AM
3/4 finger kevlar for me. The amara (amora, amaura - what ever it is) only lasts about 2 weeks for me.

Used a pair of full-finger kevlars once. After I wiped my eyes with those full-finger kevlar's, I went back to 3/4 finger & have never looked back. But - it's getting very tough to find 3/4 finger Kevlar. I only know of 1 pair made. May have to start cutting the tips off like Sporty.

I have worn through a couple handles. But - that took a couple years & the rest of the bridals needed replacing anyway.

I have long fingers, so I can get a much smaller glove to fit my girly hands with 3/4 finger.

Ben
05-03-2005, 06:53 AM
I really like the clinchers, they can certainly help you ski longer. However, it is a lot harder to drop & re-grab the handle for single hand turns. I tried to wean myself off them last year, but started too late in the season. You get really tired w/regular gloves if you are used to the clinchers.

I got the greptile gloves with the correct handle, which really works well, although I haven't tried it w/o correct handle yet.

Ski-A-Rees
05-03-2005, 08:06 AM
I use O'Brien gloves because there really nice on your hands but mainly because even after a barefoot fall they stay on your hands. Most people I know wear connelly gloves.

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
even after a barefoot fall they stay on your hands.
I assume their is a story behind this statement?

BrianM
05-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I have had a pair of Gladiator Proskin IV for a little over a year now. They have lots of use and are barely showing wear. The fit and grip is good and they don't bunch on my palm. They do not have precurved fingers but fit well. The only problem is Overtons is constantly changing these gloves. I got these for $19.99 on clearance at the begining of last season.

Ric
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I like an amara palmed glove, too. Some people worry that the kevlar wears on the handle with regular use. I never had a problem though.
My kevlar gloves eat up a handle but I'd rather replace the handle than have those NASTY tear offs of skin( I avoid handshaking for a week after one of those :eek:
Oh, and I looked, the red ones I like are the HO phantoms and they've held up for more than a season so I'm happy. (I also wear the kevlar liners)

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Brian, are you sure those are the Gladiators? If so, how do they compare to the old Proskins III (if you know). I love my proskins, but will someday have to replace them.

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Brian, are you sure those are the Gladiators? If so, how do they compare to the old Proskins III (if you know). I love my proskins, but will someday have to replace them.I like the Proskins as well, with the right handle. But I still like the feel of open tips.

BrianM
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Brian, are you sure those are the Gladiators? If so, how do they compare to the old Proskins III (if you know). I love my proskins, but will someday have to replace them.

Yeah I am positive that they are Gladiators. Couldn't tell you how they compared to the Proskin III as this is the first pair of Proskins I have had. All I know is that they have since changed them again and the IV is now no longer available. Overtons changes their glove design, names etc. like I change underwear.

LakePirate
05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I have a pair of the old proskins somewhere around the house and will send them to you for shipping costs. I think that they are XL. Let me know before I tear apart the house for them.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks, LakePirate. But before I read your post, my wife ordered my brother in law a pair of the XL gladiators last night. I'd take them, but I wear a large. I appreciate the offer though.

ski36short
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah Kevlar does a number on handles. I'd wear a Masterline handle down to the aluminum in a little more than a year but by then the bridle is really frayed and needs replacement. This year with the Amara gloves and a sleeved bridle the handle will last all year - but I just tried a short, straight one and really liked it so I may be buying a handle anyway! Doh!

LakePirate
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
No problem
Just trying to do my part to make the world a better place.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Good karma for you, my friend.

LakePirate
05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Maybe that will turn into someone who knows where I can get a wiring harness.....You said it man no body F's with the Jesus...

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
To all you footers out there, do you wear gloves, and if so what do you recommend?

tex
05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
To all you footers out there, do you wear gloves, and if so what do you recommend?
No gloves! I have only barefoot jumped a couple of times. Most of my buddies that jump regularly swear by Clinchers.

cdewet
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I too have a pair of Connelly's Claw. :headbang: They are really great. I've used them for 2 seasons now, going on 3 (although I haven't been skiing as much as I'd like to.) I've had a pair of green kevlar gloves (I think they were straightline, not sure though.) and they were done for it after about 3/4 season. Bought a pair of HO's with the leather palms. They SUCK. Three sets and I tore open the palms. Sent them back and got them replaced, but bought the Claws in the mean time. They have Kevlar palms and a natural curve to them. Little tight to put on, but once you wet them, they fit like a glove. :uglyhamme
Once these are done, I'll definitely replace them with another set of Claws.

BROUSSARD
05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Busted my old gloves, any suggestion for new ones?

mayo93prostar
05-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a pair of straight-line gloves that have lasted two years and I just got a pair of coney tournament gloves and like them too.

Skipper
05-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Masterline K-palms.....very satisfied.

east tx skier
05-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Overtons Attack. Best bang for the buck, period. If you have a local Gander Mtn., order from there and get free shipping. You pay tax from NC anyway.

rhsprostar
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Masterline K-Palm curves....super tough but the kevlar will kill your handle. I guess it's either your hands, or handle...you pick....You can buy then for $50 shipping in from....
http://www.lakesatcottonwood.com/Cottonwood%20Shop.htm