PDA

View Full Version : How do I blow out speedo tubes?

leeh2u
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm following the winterization steps found on this site and several mention to blow out the speedo tubes. How do I get at them? Do you guys remove the dash to get at them or is there some other location that would be easier? Thanks.

ski_king
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
You need to get to the back of the speedometer and pull off the tube. Different years have different methods to get to the back, but you probobly need to pull the front off the dash.

I then put a ball infaltor needle inside the tube and blow from hthe speedometer tube back to the pitot.

DO NOT BLOW FROM PITOT END TO SPEEDOMETER END WITH SPEEDOMETER ATTACHED OR YOU WILL DAMAGE/RUIN YOUR SPEEDOMETER!

Replacing the pitots with newer design ones will nearly eliminate the plugging problems.

leeh2u
09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I guess letting you know what year/model would help! It's on a 1990 ProStar 190. Thanks.

Skipper
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
The lines connect to the back of the speedometers with a nut. Just loosen the nut and remove the line from the back of the speedometer. Then you send air through the pitots at the back of the boat. You could remove the lines at the pitots. They have the same nut as the back of the speedometers.

leeh2u
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Does that mean you have been getting at tham by pulling the dash? Does not seem very user friendly!

flipper
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
That's what I have to do on mine. Just the panel where the speedos are. Not that bad really. I've only done mine once though. I did mine with a can of air, like for blowing off a computer.

OhioX14
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
When I had this setup I never did this step and never had an issue. I would bet that most dealers don't do this during winterization either. They hook your boat up to a tank with RV antifreeze, run the boat, fog if required, change the oil (if you so designate), follow the perscribed procedure for your heater core and ballast if so equipped, and disconnect your battery. That's about it. I'd be curious if Jim @ BAWS or any of the other dealers on this board ever blow out the speedo tubes.

damaged442
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I unplug my speedo lines at the brass tubes behind the rear seats. This has been done each fall since 1990 and there has never been a problem, with me or the previous owner. Granted, I have a Tristar, so I don't know how more or less difficult they are to get to with the Prostar, but I imagine you have the same equipment under there.

Jorski
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
^^same thing that I do...no problems ever

leeh2u
09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. This is my first fall/winter with this boat and from the looks of things I don't think this was ever done before. Took the side panels off last night and there was so much junk (leaves/lighter/dust) back there you could tell they were never off. The dash screws are also tight with no scratches so I don't think that was ever off either. I'm going to 'guts it' and leave them alone this year. We'll see if that was a mistake after our LONG winter.

cbryan70
09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
You need to get to the back of the speedometer and pull off the tube. Different years have different methods to get to the back, but you probobly need to pull the front off the dash.

I then put a ball infaltor needle inside the tube and blow from hthe speedometer tube back to the pitot.

DO NOT BLOW FROM PITOT END TO SPEEDOMETER END WITH SPEEDOMETER ATTACHED OR YOU WILL DAMAGE/RUIN YOUR SPEEDOMETER!

Replacing the pitots with newer design ones will nearly eliminate the plugging problems.

Do you need to take your dash off? I beleive your boat is close to the same age as mine, i have never blown the speedo's out but curious as to what it would involve with my 78

ski_king
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
The old Airguides come off the dash from the front as they are surface mounted, simply remove the 3 screws. The newer Airguides clamp into a hole and you need access to the back of the speedometer. (I upgraded mine just before they stopped making Airguides).

Unless there was a leak in the system, there shouldn't be any water in the system that would cause a problem over the winter (ICBW). I only blew mine out to remove plugged pitots.

JimN
09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
"That's about it. I'd be curious if Jim @ BAWS or any of the other dealers on this board ever blow out the speedo tubes."

There's not much need to if the temperature doesn't go to freezing for more than a couple of days. For the places that spend most of teh winter below 20 degrees, it's really a good idea. If the back of the gauge isn't accessible, remove the line from the ballast and blow that out, since that's what holds the water that could cause the damage.

Storing a motor for months when it has used oil is a bad idea. Used oil is corrosive and can eat into bearings, pit cylinder walls, etc.

bturner2
09-25-2008, 07:48 AM
I live in MI where it gets really cold. Never blew out the speedo's on my TriStar or MariStar 200VRS and had both boats for about 6 years a peice. Never had a problem. That's not to say it's not a good idea, just that I never did and never had a problem. Got to say I do love the new digital pickups on my 03 X2.

JimN
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
It's your choice but when I worked on boats, I had quite a few come in with complaints of leaking water and one or both speedos not working and it was either from the line coming off at the ballast or the tube had cracked. More often, it was a cracked tube.

Why make more work? Blow the tubes out and the ballast won't crack, you won't have to repair or replace any parts, wait for them to come in, etc.

Willski
09-27-2008, 02:06 AM
I don't have leaks, but neither of my speedos work very well. Very slow to speed, worthless in the course, but they operate. Any opinions?

jimmer2880
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I'd check your balast tubes (The brass looking tubes JimN was talking about). I bet they are a crack.

Skipper
09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't have leaks, but neither of my speedos work very well. Very slow to speed, worthless in the course, but they operate. Any opinions?

Just get a Perfect Pass system and forget the speedos.