PDA

View Full Version : Direct Drive or V-Drive

ski_king
05-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Based on an earlier thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2644) I thought poll Direct Drive vs V-Drive would be appropriate.

If you were buying a new boat today, would you buy a Direct Drive or a V-Drive?

If we did this poll before, please ignore this post.

.......ahhhhhh :mad: the poll didn't work........ :mad: and I can't go back and add it.

Direct Drive for me. Love the handling and small slalom wake.

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Direct drive..... I love the way they drive. The V-drives are like driving a truck with a full load. I don't know of any v-drive owners who can ski all day on 25 gallons of gas either.

rem_pss308
05-02-2005, 02:16 PM
V-drive
For a bigger wake..

For wakeboarding of coarse.

peason
05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Direct drive. I like the way a direct drives - the v-drive I rode in handled a lot like an I/O.

Mag_Red
05-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Direct drive. I like the way a direct drives - the v-drive I rode in handled a lot like an I/O.Direct drive is so old school, which is why I love mine. I guess it all goes back to 1972, when the family used to go to Dale Hollow lake with a big group of Bell Telephone employees and their families. About 10 of them had old, wood, ChrisCraft inboards. Well, one year, our trusty Glastron broke three :eek: drive shafts on the Mercury outboard. We spent a lot of time hitching rides in the ChrisCrafts, and I can remember how cool it was listening to the purr of those big inboards while Santana was blasting on the 8 track players. :headbang:

jayocheskey
05-02-2005, 02:49 PM
V-Drive all the way. I just goat an '04 MariStar and it drives and handles like a dream. My previous boat was a direct drive Sanger -- it handled good, but not to the point where you could tell a "night and day" difference.

Besides, the cabin in the V-drives is so much more comfortable and spacious. They make for the best afternoon's on the water. More people, more fun, V-DRIVE.

River Rat
05-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Direct drive. I like the way a direct drives - the v-drive I rode in handled a lot like an I/O.

Ditto :headbang:

Tom023
05-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd rather have a direct drive for skiing and handling, but my v-drive is a compromise because of space and rough water considerations. I'm not always on perfect water and need the capability of the larger boat/deeper V. Maybe I should have one of each!

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Direct Drive, but I don't wakeboard.

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I do wish my boat had alittle more room and rode better in rough water, but it looks so COOL :cool: !!!!! If the water gets to rough we just slow down or park it. DD all the way for us!!!! :D

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Direct Drive, but I don't wakeboard.
And it turns better for toobin'. :uglyhamme

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Brad, that's not right man!!

BTW, DD for me.

prostar205
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I like them both equally.

My '95 PS205 handled like it was on rails compared to my '02 X30 (aka - PIG). Don't get me wrong, I love the X30 and would not have a direct drive on Lake Washing-Machine (Lake Washington in Seattle). You bob up and down like a cork in the afternoon in a direct drive.

I, too, think I need one of each. Maybe someday.

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Brad, that's not right man!!

BTW, DD for me.
But it does, I should know, I pull a tube once in awhile :rant: ! ;)

SteveO
05-02-2005, 03:14 PM
DD, love the handling and with the newer larger DD's(AKA x9 or 209), you get something that is the best of both worlds. Performance, great in rough water, and in my opinion, a boat that has more room than a V drive of comparable length.

chfrogman
05-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Speaking as some one who has owned an '88 190, a '97 205 and now an '05 X-2. If all you do is ski then for sure a direct drive 190. But if you do both wakeboarding and skiing, either the 205 or the X-2. We chose to go with the X-2 because the v-drive fit the needs of our family best. And there is not much difference on the wake between the dd 205 and the vd x-2. You can't turn as quick, but that slide is sure fun. :D

RackAtak
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
But it does, I should know, I pull a tube once in awhile :rant: ! ;)
Direct drive for me (us). We do it all, son and daughter wakeboard, wife ski's and wakeboards and guests usually tube or kneeboard.

Yes, I admit, we pull a tube. Alot of times with guests in the boat, they and their kids haven't had a chance to learn to ski or wakeboard and they don't have much boating experience so tubing is their only chance to get behind the boat. We always try to get everyone up on a ski or wakeboard but we are not always successful.

Even though I would rather see my wife or kids ski and wakeboard, it's good to see everyone having a good time while out on the water. Isn't that what it's all about? Being out on the water with a nice boat and good friends...I can't think of a better way to spend a summer weekend...

bcampbe7
05-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I mostly wakeboard, but the wife mostly slaloms. We all know a Full House beats 2-pair any day, so DD for us. :D

EDIT:
Just noticed the signature RackAtak. Love it!

chfrogman
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Rackatak...What part of the bay area are you in? Where do you ski?

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Direct drive for me (us). We do it all, son and daughter wakeboard, wife ski's and wakeboards and guests usually tube or kneeboard.

Yes, I admit, we pull a tube. Alot of times with guests in the boat, they and their kids haven't had a chance to learn to ski or wakeboard and they don't have much boating experience so tubing is their only chance to get behind the boat. We always try to get everyone up on a ski or wakeboard but we are not always successful.

Even though I would rather see my wife or kids ski and wakeboard, it's good to see everyone having a good time while out on the water. Isn't that what it's all about? Being out on the water with a nice boat and good friends...I can't think of a better way to spend a summer weekend...
If everybody is not having fun with the boat, you don't need a boat. Brandy and I both ski and she will tube with Kaylee sometimes, but Kaylee just wants to swim... So we swim..... :woohoo:

ktn_cmu
05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Direct Drive..no question...it ain't even CLOSE!!!

BrianM
05-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Direct Drive..no question...it ain't even CLOSE!!!

Would have to agree with this statement. I can not see myself ever going to a V-drive. Just like the performance of a direct drive. I also do not want a bigger boat than the current 197.

bucky
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I bought my 190 the 11th of last month, and if I had it to do over, I'd buy 2.

LakePirate
05-02-2005, 04:15 PM
our trusty Glastron broke three :

We used to have an orange and white one just like the one James Bond drove in Live and Let Die.

lakes Rick
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
while Santana was blasting on the 8 track players. :headbang:

Now that brings back some memories.. Although Jimi Hendrix in "bullheads" 57 ford on the 4 track was cool also...

lakes Rick
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
We used to have an orange and white one just like the one James Bond drove in Live and Let Die.

Had a 73 outboard carlson also... Coolest boat out in the early 70's.. I still see mine at the lake....

jsonova99
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Direct drive is so old school, which is why I love mine. I guess it all goes back to 1972, when the family used to go to Dale Hollow lake with a big group of Bell Telephone employees and their families. About 10 of them had old, wood, ChrisCraft inboards. Well, one year, our trusty Glastron broke three :eek: drive shafts on the Mercury outboard. We spent a lot of time hitching rides in the ChrisCrafts, and I can remember how cool it was listening to the purr of those big inboards while Santana was blasting on the 8 track players. :headbang:

I agree, direct drive for me, I like that classic style and the way it handles. And to build on what mag-red said, my dad and I are resoring an old Chris Craft wooden inboard, sweet classic boats.

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
it's good to see everyone having a good time while out on the water. Isn't that what it's all about? Being out on the water with a nice boat and good friends...I can't think of a better way to spend a summer weekend...

True, but there is something disgusting about seeing a $50,000 toobin boat out there screwin up the water for everyone else........ and pullin from the tower, no less!

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
True, but there is something disgusting about seeing a $50,000 toobin boat out there screwin up the water for everyone else........ and pullin from the tower, no less!
Different strokes for different folks. But no different than a person buying a 4X4 SUV or truck to cruise up and down the highway. Heck if I was just a tuber, I would still want the best made boat in the world. :steering:

Mag_Red
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
I do wish my boat had alittle more room and rode better in rough water, but it looks so COOL :cool: !!!!! If the water gets to rough we just slow down or park it. DD all the way for us!!!! :DYou got that right Skippy! When the main lake is too rough, I take her down to about 25 MPH, crank up the tunes, and cruise! :headbang:

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 04:42 PM
You got that right Skippy! When the main lake is too rough, I take her down to about 25 MPH, crank up the tunes, and cruise! :headbang:
so I'm Skippy again, I like being Skippy. :D

RackAtak
05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Rackatak...What part of the bay area are you in? Where do you ski?

SF Peninsula. Ski etc...Don Pedro (most weekends during summer) and Trinity (one week per year)...and just so this isn't a hijack...still direct drive, and I would never pull a tube from the tower or the pylon for that matter! And furthermore, I would never, repeat never screw up good water to give a kid a ride on a tube.

erkoehler
05-02-2005, 05:13 PM
1. DD
2. Outboard
3. V-Drive

MasterMason
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
My vote is DD you can allways add weight for a wakeboard wake, but you can't move the engine to get a good slolom wake with a V Drive

Mag_Red
05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
so I'm Skippy again, I like being Skippy. :DI thought you'd get a kick out if that ;)

Leroy
05-02-2005, 05:29 PM
No doubt V Drive, the room, the ride, and the great wakeboard wake. Everything else feels like you're sitting on a rock! But if skiing is your thing DD is it.

André
05-02-2005, 07:37 PM
No doubt V Drive, the room, the ride, and the great wakeboard wake...
You kids.. :D

I always restreint myself of speaking religion here but...
V-Drives are an invention of the Devil!!!
:eek:

USC8791
05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Amen brother!

Leroy
05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Ha, your funny Andre! Which drive is the most popular, sales the most units, enjoyed by more people around the world? V - Drive. For me there is always 5 and often 7-9 in the boat.

If you have 3 guys that just want to ski, a DD 190 is it! What is your seating capacity when someone is skiing? Three? :D :D :D

I think the pope will be visiting you soon with that language!;)

ski_king
05-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Since I intended this as a poll, but it didn't work out, here is the tally so far as I count.

Direct Drive: 18
V-Drive: 5
Undecided orwant to buy one of each: 3

The question at the beginning was if you were to buy a new boat today, would it be DD or VD?

It seems our quick study in market research goes against the trend.

It could be because the question reads "if" you were to buy a new boat today. Most of us have our boat and are quite happy with it and really don't intend to upgrade, at least not just yet.

I believe most of the new boat are being sold to "newcomers". I do believe most of them are leaning towards the V-Drive.

Mag_Red
05-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Maybe it's because they are trying to increase their market share by enticing people that would have otherwise bought a stern drive. Just look at the comparison in their brochures............it shows the advantage of a V-drive vs a Stern drive. By keeping the interior lay out similar, it makes the conversion easier. Just my take on it :twocents:

Jorski
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Direct drive for me for ever more

Storm861triple
05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
DD all the way.

If I wanted the characteristics of a V drive (wake, motor in rear, space, etc), I'd get a boat w/ better manuverability, power trim, and tilt for the shallow water. Oh, and no leaks. I'd get a stern drive...before a V-drive. There I said it and forever put a black cloud over my name on this site! lol.

But for me, for a watersports boat, the DD is the way to go.

sully
05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
V-drive.
:twocents:

Leroy
05-02-2005, 10:47 PM
This board is clearly more skiers than boarders so I would expect more DD fans!

SteveO
05-02-2005, 10:51 PM
This board is clearly more skiers than boarders so I would expect more DD fans!

It's okay Leroy we stilll like you.

Leroy
05-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks SteveO; :cry: I thought I was :cry: going to have to go over to one of the wakeboard sites to get away from that mean guy.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Direct Drive for me as well:headbang:

sully
05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Leroy,
Maybe they have a twelve step program for us v-drive owners :D

H2OGirl
05-03-2005, 08:20 AM
V-drive for us also, we had an I/O and switched to the v-drive. We liked the room and not having to walk around the engine, also with the the DD (our friend's) we got sick of filling fat sacks to wakeboard, we also run the Mississippi River up here and it gets really rough on the weekends sometimes so we wanted the deeper V also. We are wakeboarders also, so I imagine what you are into depends on if you would buy DD or V-drive, I am the only one who skies and I really am no good so if we empty the ballast I get a pretty descent flat table to ski on, no not as good as you DD owners. We wanted the wake size, deeper V, and the room, wakeboarding is a social sport...and people add weight!!

H2OGirl
05-03-2005, 08:22 AM
oh on a side note when I toured the factory one of the facts they told us is that the V-drives are out selling the DD's. When I was there, definitly more VD in production than DD and more of the bigger ones too, the X-30's and up...

boatwake
05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
I've owned both. I prefer the V-Drive.

Diesel
05-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I bought another DD this year...................

I have driven them all and still prefer the manuverabiltiy and responsiveness of the DD. A V-Drive is too sluggish and drives too much like a stern drive. I will probably always own a DD boat.

Jerseydave
05-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I had a 94 prostar and loved it for slalom and barefoot.
The only problem was it rode so hard it would knock your fillings out.
Went to a 23 ft. I/O (mistake) rode smooth but not a ski boat. We go out in some big water sometimes (Ches. bay) and need a larger boat.

Next one will be a 230 v-drive. We need the extra room (family of 4) and friends, etc. I think it's a good compromise between a DD and I/O.
Can't wait to try out the tower and big wakes for boarding.
For serious slalom, I can just ski behind TALLANDY'S prostar :D

RedStar
06-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Direct drive or swim.

Mosaic13
06-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I guess I really don't care so much about manueverability and responsiveness. I want my boat to be comfortable, have lots of torque, put up a huge wake and go 18 to 23mph.

V-Drive w/out a doubt.

Storm861triple
06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I want my boat to be comfortable, have lots of torque, put up a huge wake and go 18 to 23mph.

V-Drive w/out a doubt.
Eww. The kind of boat I hate the most.

That opinion asside, a V-drive doesn't give you more torque. The torque comes from your engine, and the engine options are mostly the same, DD or V. Either way, the fact that there is another set of torque and hp consuming gears in the drive system, doesn't in any way, help you acheive... "lot's of torque".

Leroy
06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Sully; The V drive folks seem to be coming out!

I snapped a picture last week of a PS190 pulling a tube (what are they thinking) and there was some chop, not bad, but you could hear the hull smacking the water. Really got a feel for how flat the bottom is.

Leroy,
Maybe they have a twelve step program for us v-drive owners :D

jraben8
06-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Put me down for a DD. I still like smaller wakes at higher speeds and the real difference is probably all in my head.

Leroy
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
When I ski I really wish I had a PS190! The wake behind my Maristar 230 is still hugh at 30MPH. Going to try to work up to 34 or so this summer as it looks like it flattens out more.

Mosaic13
06-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow...this is obviously a sensitive subject!!! "My Dad's boat is better than your Dad's boat!!!"

I never meant to imply that a V has "more torque" than a D. I just meant it has enough torque FOR ME!!! Pulls my 220lb Son (he's 6' 3") out of the water like a cork.

What more do I need? And THAT was my point. So go love your boat...I love mine.

X2M
06-08-2005, 07:54 PM
If the name on the side of the boat says MASTERCRAFT, does anything else really matter?

jpattigr
06-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I already have the 197 Pro Tournament and would love to have a X30 or X45 to play with also!! But if I had it all my dream boats, it would take a marina to hold!!

If I can only own one however, it will be a DD to do it all. :toast:

rick s.
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Direct drive..... I love the way they drive. The V-drives are like driving a truck with a full load. I don't know of any v-drive owners who can ski all day on 25 gallons of gas either.

To each his own. I have a Maristar 210 with the LTR 330 hp motor. Average fuel burn over the 5 years I've had the boat is slightly over 3 gallons per hour. Primarily use it for wakeboarding, tubing, family cruising, etc.

I love my V-drive, although I only have minimal experience with a direct-drive boat, and love the space inside, the sunpad, etc. For our use I would definately buy another V-drive boat.

aprgriggs
06-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Sold my V-Drive for a D-Drive and it was the best thing I ever did.

prostar205
06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
I agree with X2Momma!! except for a few year of production. I won't mention those here.

I have had 2 DD MasterCrafts: '88 PS190 and '95 PS205. I now have a '02 X30. I would not say one is version is better than the other. Each serves its own purpose well. The DD boats are great handling and skiing machines. However, they are lousy in choppy water and are not "family" friendly when compared to the V-Drive boats.

If I had it may way, I would have one of each. I would love to have a TT PS197 and my X30.

We can all dream, can't we.

Leroy
06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Best answer yet!

If I had it may way, I would have one of each. I would love to have a TT PS197 and my X30.

We can all dream, can't we.

Granite_33
06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Best answer yet!
And a monthly gas bill equal to the monthly boat payments!!

Given an option, I would much rather run through a slalom course multiple times, than fill the balast bags and try to land sick tricks. (There are no sick tricks I can land anyway! :D )

DD all the way.............. :toast:

roddydog
03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
OK this may have been asked before, but....................Could someone please explain the difference to me? Thanks. :confused:

agua4fun
03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I know someone will come along with a better answer but....
here is an explination from the web

"dd is where the engine is in the middle of the boat and a straight line from the crankshat, to the tranny, to the drive shaft to the prop. Advantages is a better ski wake and eaisier access to the engine and drive components.

vdrive is where the engine is the the rear of the boat. From the cranshaft to the tranny is a striaght shot going towards the front of the boat, then after the tranny, it goes to the v-drive unit which then puts the power towards the rear of the boat and into the drive shaft then prop. So the drivetrain looks like a sideways V, thus the term v-drive. The adv of a vdrive is a better wakeboarding wake and more wide open interior.

Its all personal prefence on which boat you want and what you are going to use it for"

FWIW I drive a DD.
here is a pic to help (V drive on top, Direct Drive on bottom)