PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Trailer Tongue Jack

Waterski-Marcoisland
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Is anybody else sick of the stiffness of the screw type trailer tongue jacks. I wish I could find a trailer tongue jack that uses hydraulic fluid and ram, so its more reliable and wont tear up you elbows and hands. Anybody have a link or info.........please advise

JohnnyB
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Understand what you're talking about....what you're finding is that the threaded rod which actually drives the tongue jack (does the actual jacking inside the assembly) is probably severely corroded which is making it hard to turn. I've been living with mine that way for the entire season until a couple weeks ago when I actually split one of the gears in the assembly (it was binding pretty bad). In disassembling to repair, I lubed the threaded jacking rod and now have a unit that works very easily by comparison....without disassembling, there is actually no practical way to lube this threaded shaft.

I wish I'd have taken pics.....will try to find an exploded view from a manual to show you in concept what I'm talking about.

bigmac
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Mine goes up and down pretty easy.

Those jacks are pretty easy to replace. IIRC, I put a new one on for about $50 after a little trailering mental error. It was about a 5 minute install - just remove the snap ring to take to old one off, and reverse.

88 PS190
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
You could of course build one utilizing a manual hydraulic pump and ram or an electric pump, but really isn't this futile?

If its tearing up your hands crank slower or change the handle so its kinder to your palms.

For how little manipulation the jack is used for it seems like alot of added complexity, heck most of the time I don't use mine, I have someone else back up to me and I lift the tongue and set it on the ball. Quicker and prevents the latch mechanism from getting hung up. I'm sure on bigger boats more of a concern but these boats aren't 35 feet.

Sodar
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
For how little manipulation the jack is used for it seems like alot of added complexity, heck most of the time I don't use mine, I have someone else back up to me and I lift the tongue and set it on the ball. Quicker and prevents the latch mechanism from getting hung up. I'm sure on bigger boats more of a concern but these boats aren't 35 feet.

Want to come lift mine? It's only 19' and will still hurt ya!

Sodar
09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Is anybody else sick of the stiffness of the screw type trailer tongue jacks. I wish I could find a trailer tongue jack that uses hydraulic fluid and ram, so its more reliable and wont tear up you elbows and hands. Anybody have a link or info.........please advise

I know what you mean. You use your boat in Salt, correct? If so, these jacks have about a 1 year life expectancy... if that! Look around for a jack with stainless internals. I found one a while back, but have since lost it. Also, with the jacks I have had that get dunked in salt, I flipped the jack upside down every few times out and gave it a squirt of lubricant. Help to keep the screw last a little longer.

A hydraulic jack would be cool though. Even an electric actuated jack would be an easy install. You would just need to pull the +/- off your trucks trailer harness.

Maristar210
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Mine takes a weightlifter to crank up. Its a real *****. I hate the stupid thing